[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you like to ink with?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_5716.jpg (85KB, 1000x788px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5716.jpg
85KB, 1000x788px
What do you like to ink with?
>>
Sakura Microns. I tried using a dip pen for a while but I was very bad at controlling my line weight and often times my inks just came out looking messy. I should probably practice with them some more but I don't enjoy ruining my sketches with poor inks.
>>
>>2950899
You need to sketch more and destroy more.
>>
The only thing that isn't temporary is the fact everything's temporary
>>
>>2950906
thats what this song is about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7udqvSObOo4
>>
>>2950892
Is there a Wacom or some other digital stylus or something that's fashioned as a water fountain pen?
Goddamn I fucking love that shit.
>>
File: 1487361729854.jpg (109KB, 640x638px) Image search: [Google]
1487361729854.jpg
109KB, 640x638px
>>2950906
>>
My favorite tools:

- Zebra brush pen. The grey ones. The best disposable pen I've ever used.

- PITT pens. Tried and true, with nicer ink than Microns.

- Kuretake #8 brush pen. It's got a really nice brush on it.

- Zebra G-pen. My favorite nib, really versatile.

- Platinum Preppy. Nice bold, even lines. I prefer it to the heaviest PITT because the tip is way more durable.

As for ink, Speedball Superblack is really cheap so that's what I use for my G-pen and spotting blacks. I have a bottle of FW Acrylic for inking things I'm going to use Copics on (since the alcohol in Copic ink dissolves the shellac in Speedball) and for my Kuretake and Platinum pens I use Platinum Carbon Black, which is thin enough to use safely while also being very dark, waterproof and Copic proof.
>>
>>2950906
then everything still wouldn't be temporary, dummy.
>>
>>2950899
To avoid destroying the sketches I decide are good enough to ink, while still learning how to ink properly, I just quickly trace them onto a different paper (border & riley paris paper for pens is great) by holding them over my computer monitor (too poor to buy a light box lol). It really helps to find ways to shake off that fear of ruining things.

>>2951004
I always use Copics with ink and get frustrated when I'm not careful enough and they smudge - I didn't know about FW acrylic ink but it sounds like exactly what I need, so thanks for the info friend.
>>
>>2951004
>with nicer ink than Microns.
What do you mean by that?
>>
File: pens.jpg (698KB, 1300x867px) Image search: [Google]
pens.jpg
698KB, 1300x867px
Fountain pens because microns are pleb-tier and I like to feel fancy.
>>
>>2951225
This guy knows what's up.

However, dip pens > fountain pens
>>
>>2950969
Yes. Manga Studio has a few. Plus custom brushes.

That shit on a cintiq is basically identical to analog.

>>2950892
Digital, it's faster, and easy to correct mistakes with.

Someday I'll buy a decent printer as I'd like to color my drawings in analog. Mixed media is the best
>>
>>2951031

Yeah FW Acrylic is good for it. Eon Vortex is supposedly Copic proof as well.

>>2951171

I find PITT ink to be darker and less susceptible to lifting off under erasure.
>>
>>2951225

I want a flex nib fountain pen so fucking bad.

Fucking expensive though. ;_;
>>
>>2951330
>fucking expensive
have you tried this one ?
Noodler's Ahab Flex Nib Fountain
>>
File: IMG_1402.jpg (169KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1402.jpg
169KB, 480x640px
>>2951353
No flex fountain pen will ever beat a dip nib.
>>
>>2951457
oh i know, i have nib pens, but i also like fountain pens. i also modified a fountain pen pen to accept a G-nib.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (281KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
281KB, 1600x1600px
>>2951460
I did this with a Jinhao but it had all sorts of problems, from blobbing to the nib drying out, the feed not keeping up, rusting, etc. I imagine the Noodler's pens would have better results thanks to the ebonite feed, but you'd still need to heat-set the nib whenever you replace it.
Ackerman makes fountain pens that fit all sorts of dip nibs, that might be worth a try.

Meanwhile I might order one of these from China. A sub-$20 piston filler that unlike the cheap Noodler's is made from PMMA resin, and it fits Pilot steel nibs.
>>
>>2950892
i don't do tons of line work, although i draw with ink a bit. i like to use a brush more than a pen, even for things where a pen would probably be better. i didn't know people used fountain pens for artwork, seems a bit weird, but more power to you guys
>>
>>2951457

It'll never beat a dip pen in sheer quality no, but in convenience it certainly does.

It's the reason I gave up using uses and switches to a brush pen.
>>
>>2951457
Those are cute doggies
>>
>>2950892
For technical pens, I'm using Microns because they are readily available at my art store. Prefer the Uni Pin pens above all but I can onl;y find them in half their sizes.

Pen nib I'
m using the Hunt 102 until I get my hands on some Japanese nibs.

The Kuretake No.8 brush I find better than the famous Pentel Brush Pen, though using it on a plane ride like, ruined them so I'll have to get a new one.

Still searching for a regular ink brush that will keep its damn point after one use.
>>
>>2950892
A chopstick.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.