[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Craig Mullins

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

File: 1445976373380.jpg (3MB, 5000x5376px) Image search: [Google]
1445976373380.jpg
3MB, 5000x5376px
Hey, im currently looking at this painting by Craig Mullins and i really loved the way he solved the background that is neither plain texture or plain drawn heads, but just a collection of very well placed colored dots. Is there any theory behind approaching art like this? or do you just have to be craig mullins to do it?
>>
>Is there any theory behind approaching art like this

It's just contrast - not of contrasting values or colors, but of level of detail.

It works well because the "noise" of the crowd is very well juxtaposed next to the flatter, simpler values of the foreground and distant ruins.

Just like contrasting colors, lineweight, values, etc, contrasting levels of details can be another technique used to direct the eye around a composition.
>>
File: AOEmusketline.jpg (42KB, 500x248px) Image search: [Google]
AOEmusketline.jpg
42KB, 500x248px
>>
>>2947945

That kind of simplification is often referred to as "indication".
To indicate something is to give the impression of something. A common use for this term is material indication but it can apply to anything, ofcourse.
>>
>>2947956
Hmm, yea i see. But say i were to do a similiar painting, but instead of humans, i would want thousands of elephants. How would i grasp the general contrast of so many elephants?
>>
>>2947966
Find pictures of elephants and zoom out and then study them in such a way so as to abstract their forms into basic shapes.
>>
>>2947966
I think the best way to do this is to let the viewer know, by placing a nearby elephant, and/or any small details in background to let the viewer know that they are elephants.

Notice the placement of the soldiers in the foreground. He is telling you there's a battle happening. And with a few indications in the background with banners, smoke..etc You immediately register it as such.

How to do that with elephants or anything else exactly. It really depend on you, and your ability to tell the story through the scene.
>>
>>2947966
Context matters. If the shot of all those inpersitionistic dots was placed on a canvas with no flags, detailed figures fading into the crowd, or the man looking across the crowd, you'd never guess there were people.

So for elephants, you'll have to somehow show, using more detailed elements, what the dots would be. Also some bits of off whote for the tusks would help A LOT.

So have maybe a couple elephants in the fore ground then have them fade into the dots. The foreground elephants don't even need super detail.

Or you could have a baby elephant overlooking the crowd from a cliff.

OR MAYBE IF ITS AN ARMY, YOU COULD HAVE A SOLDIER SEATED ON ONE OF THE ELEPHANTS IN THE FOREGROUND WITH A SEA OF GREY AND WHITE DOTS FOLLOWING BEHIND
>>
Another overrated /ic/ "god
>>
>>2947978
>>2947981
>>2947984
Okay thank you very much, i will try it out. in 5-10 years i might hit something that looks good haha.

>>2947985
wouldnt call him overrated. People like his paintings, but he doesnt speak to the community that much and i think generally he doesnt make much new stuff outside commission art. Would prefer art like this anytime over those hyper realistic paintings with puppy eyes and that whole sakimichan way of drawing.
>>
>>2947991
>Okay thank you very much, i will try it out. in 5-10 years i might hit something that looks good
In all honesty, if you remove all those background elements you'll end up with a very average looking figure not all that much detailed so I think its something you could hit right now.

Notice those dots have darker outline on the outside and white background that look like bodies and amount of the white visible depends on the dot position and space between groups of people, basically places where body would be visible and how much of the body is covered by the head which is dictated by perspective.

I think it requires more thought and patience than actual skill.
>>
>>2948020
well i didnt mean this situation only. I meant in general. Think its a lot easier to make it seem real, when the brain/eye is used to seeing this amount of people. If you take something more abstract or fantasy like, i think it will be a bigger challenge to create the same effect.
>>
>>2948022
If you dont practice creating anything you'll never learn.

I did a mistake and for years I stuck drawing only the stuff I was comfortable with which was 3/4 perspective view body and head.
Every fucking drawing same shit, hey people commended me till the moment I tried to do a real life drawing.

>could see their soul dimming looking at shit that was supposed to be her portrait.

Dont do that mistake man, start drawing shit you have no idea how to draw, draw shit you cant wrap your mind around.
Just learn gesture and construction because it will let you wrap your mind around everything.
>>
>>2948020

Another Dunning-Kruger spotted in the wild
>>
>>2947945

Are you fucking kidding me?

Whole crowd is photobashed photos of crowds, blurred and with added noise + hand drawn blobs of shape to indicate flags in the crowd.

Those dots that you see? They are the leftover of some other photo/pattern, my guess is that he just took 2 different crowd photos into 2 separate image processing softwares with face recognition, so the dots on faces are a bit different.

And that's really it. No skill, no nothing, pure concept-art pipeline and those scribbles are there so you won't accuse him of being completely lazy hack.

Anyway, I don't understand /ic/ and your fascination with digitalshit scribbled on over x9000 zoom and with some fucking ridiculous resolution.
>>
>>2948031
No rules, just tools.Chill out and go back to your work.
>>
>>2948031
i would like to see you do the same thing. If its so easy, show me that can accomplish even the halfway there in those 2 minutes it would take you.

Besides that, when you do concept art, speed is also a matter. You cant do a michelangelo painting everytime. Sometimes creating realism from something that looks like pure dirt when zoomed in is the challenge.
>>
>>2948031

Doesn't look like a photo to me. It's literally a bunch of dots
>>
>>2948030
Here where you would be wrong, I have no illusions of being good.
I can do perspective more or less and I can do a detailed body with some reference but I sure as hell not a good artist and I dont know if I'll ever be.
The dude is good but its not a mindblowing painting sempai, I can see ok perspective and basic construction with some anatomy on it but its so far from being actually good I am surprised you even think it is.

All the details in the painting are blotches of brush that your mind turns into something more, ability to do that with such method indicate that the artist understands well whats going on with details but again, this painting does not have anything that would made me say "WOW"
>>
>>2948031
>>
File: 1464701570672.jpg (53KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1464701570672.jpg
53KB, 600x450px
>>2948053
>that filename

http://finder.psychiatry.org/
>>
File: 1490835251302.jpg (23KB, 290x324px) Image search: [Google]
1490835251302.jpg
23KB, 290x324px
>>2948067
The website to create them uses one of those algorithms to create a filename where it picks a bunch of random words, anon.
>>
File: mysterious_background_wip.jpg (91KB, 916x1100px) Image search: [Google]
mysterious_background_wip.jpg
91KB, 916x1100px
>>2948053
>>
>>2948072
>Bery fazt hitler eliminating jews and incredibly high speed.
>>
File: 1447378841732.jpg (11KB, 300x364px) Image search: [Google]
1447378841732.jpg
11KB, 300x364px
>Not even Craig Mullins is safe from /ic/'s jealosy and shitposting.
>>
>>2948077
Literally #who
>>
>>2947945
yes the theory is called 'painting' it has actually been around for quite a long time
>>
>>2947985
>someone posts an artist
>someone else calls them bad

every time
>>
>>2947945
Oh man I liked that picture a lot more before I zoomed in
>>
>>2948020
what is skill, but thought and patience?

that you contrast those two, reveals more than you possibly had planned :-)
>>
everyone focusing on the dots, and how easy it is to replicate a texture like so, and how he probably did so in a fast way.

Not recognizing the fact that compositionally, regardless of subjectmatter or not, is an image that manages to show scale in a very effective and strong way.

Its not the making of the mark that is difficult, it is the ordering of several together.

Making a line on a paper takes a second, knowing where it goes and in relation to what is skill.
>>
>>2948453
I guess you got me here.
>>
>>2948458
>knowing where it goes and in relation to what is skill.
that isnt skill, if you actually had any experience you would know. its just another manner of muscle memory.
>>
>>2948499
how can you misunderstand what im saying - of course i dont mean simple accuracy of copying, i mean the mental process of composing and planning a picture.

but im sorry, i see that it could be understood both ways.
>>
>>2948499
>its just another manner of muscle memory.

which needs to be trained and must be maintained, even if your statement wasn't bullshit anyway.
>>
File: grinch pepe.jpg (519KB, 837x837px) Image search: [Google]
grinch pepe.jpg
519KB, 837x837px
>>2948077

Unless every work you do is a masterpiece (basically impossible) some of /ic/'s autists will nitpick it and say you're a hack.
>>
>>2947945
>yfw you actually used to think this looked good
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.