[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Style is all that matters

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

While you retards on /ic/ are drawing wonky boxes and chicken scratchy floating figures, successful people are already developing an appealing style and getting their work out there to the masses.

You think normies give a shit if you drew one of the forearm extensors wrong you dumb fucking cucks? What people want is appeal. An area that lacks greatly from what I've seen on the trash posted on this board.

Quit wasting your time with muh loomis and learn how to actually draw something appealing you fucking losers.

pic related is an example of appeal with no fundamentals. And guess what? Normies love that shit.
>>
>>2947809
Do that if you want to draw for normies. Do Loomis and boxes if you are drawing for yourself.
>>
>>2947809
What if I told you not every artist cares about impressing normies? It's all about what your goal in art is and people have different goals.

If your goal is to be one of these countless casuals who draw weebshit to feed of normies admiration, do what you want to do.

If your goal is to work for Riot Games making splash art, impressing normies with your casual art is the last thing you think about.

As for appeal, its a matter of taste. I can see why people would find art like in your pic appealing, but personally that's not what I'm interested in.
>>
>>2947809
So construction and gestures really are memes
>>
>>2947809
I agree with you however, drawing cannot be an effect of an accident or lack of skill that just pretends to be a style IMO.

You can push cutesy style its fine but would be nice if it was an concious decision and not you being unable to draw anything else.
>>
>>2947809
It's bait, but I'll bite. Like you said, appeal is important. Some people have an innate sense of aesthetics that is also true. But even "talented" artists have to study their fundamentals to apply what makes a work appealing. Without proper proportions, gesture or (color) composition you simply won't get satisfying results. I agree that some fundamentals are secondary (anatomy, perspective, etc.) when "appealing tumblrinas/ normies" is the only thing you're going for. They still enhance your overall stylisation skills.If you think you can develop a good style without expertise and knowledge of fundamentals you are delusional.
>>
alright im pretty convinced that all bait comes from someone whos been drawing for like 3 months rofl
>>
>>2947809
although this is funny bait, and i applaud you for it...you ain't wrong.
>>
I thought we all just came here because we didn't like heavily stylied drawings, and enjoyed realism more.

At least that's the impression I got whenever I came here.
>>
>>2947809
it's an oversaturated, and very conventional/easy to get into demographic that makes this stuff. one artist may occassionally make his piece of shit and it may strike the right chord (due to external factors like being friends with someone who would shill his shit), and then it fades away into the abyss of shit that no one who isn't a prepubescent girl will care about. It's like playing the lotto, dumb luck and cliche stylizations go much further than objectively good art when to comes to tabloid culture and the like.
>>
>>2947809
>pic related is an example of appeal with no fundamentals. And guess what? Normies love that shit.

Normies loving your shit doesn't reliably put food on the table. People who put a lot of effort into getting good at the fundamentals probably want to do art professionally.
>>
>>2947809
>why are you retards going to cooking school, nobody cares if you perfectly sear a rare steak, McDonald's is all people want

Wow its almost like youre a tasteless pleb who has no business giving advice to anybody
>>
>>2948178
false analogy
>>
>>2947809
Not gonna make it.
>>
>>2947815
amen
>>
>>2947809
you are saying you cant make cute little doodles like this when you have good fundamental knowledge
if you only draw stuff like this you are very limited in what you can draw, its not even style its the best they can do
>>
I think OP is right. After seeing that FZD thread there is no way that I can get an inch as good as all those asians who attended that school unless I sacrifice 15 years of my life and by then the industry would have drastically changed so much. Might as well go down the easier path. After all I only stuck with art because I want people to admire me. OP is on to something and when the rest of you leave your loomis memes behind you, too, will see the light.
>>
Appeal without fundamentals relies on luck. If your fundamentals are shit, you're basically swinging blind. It'll be harder to achieve consistency, and you'll often hit walls where you can't draw what you want (unless you always want to draw the exact same shit and just memorize how to do it).

Fundamentals without appeal are a regular problem with /ic/. People grind their anatomy and perspective day in, day out, and at the end of the day it all looks like boring shit because they made it some mechanical process.

The best art is the art that takes fundamentals and steamlines them into a process of creating something appealing. They use their fundamentals as a toolbox to create something that excites them and excites others.

I have a feeling you're a butthurt shitposter who opened a Loomis book, got bored, and is now trying to convince himself you don't need fundamentals, so you're smugly pontificating to /ic/ about it. Suit yourself. Draw what you want, and if you can do it without fundamentals, good for you. The reality is that one compliments the other, and you're best served seeking both an appealing style and a strong foundation.
>>
File: Download.png (8KB, 227x222px) Image search: [Google]
Download.png
8KB, 227x222px
>>2948202
I mean I don't even oppose "get your own style" but getting your own style is really fucking hard. So why not start with Loomis and eventually end somewhere with a style... or so. I dunno I don't have any style.
>>
>>2947809
>the only reason people draw is to impress other people

Also, while normies may love pic related, it is instantly forgettable. An actual drawing that takes more than 1 minute is appreciated far more by normies.
>>
>>2948206
It doesn't seem OP meant to drop fundis all together--that's moronic--but rather taking the fundamentals too seriously. The way I see it, it branches into to catagories:

There are "the fundamentals" and then there are "fundamentals". You can't just open up photoshop and make a digital painting, you need to know some fundamental knowledge first. Okay, you want to draw funny tumblr style faces but you don't know how...does that MEAN you need to master your fundamentals or learn "the fundamentals"? No, not really. You can find any old tutorial then learn and reproduce for normies to upvote. But deep down you know you're lacking full command of funny faces--so you look into caricature etc, more advanced stuff.

Like put it this way you get a 2 year degree then move to a 4 year college to "master the fundamentals". You can make something appealing with your 2 year but to truly move up the ranks you need to uhh "patch up the holes" if you will with advanced material. That's why OP is on to something.
>>
>>2948202
dont you follow any other artists? Anthony Jones and many other pros made it into industry in 3-5 years of practice.
the person you should be competing with is yourself, not some fucking asians
>>
>>2948219
I do, I wish I knew how they studied. Feels like I was deceived by this board in all honestly.
>>
>>2947862
>Half of threads are filled with anime or chibi Styles.
>>
>>2948226
AJ has multiple videos on this topic,Dave Rapoza has his study routinr out, all you need to do is go on google and find what you need. its all there to be taken, if you cant even do your own research i dont know what can help you.
>>
>>2948235
>Dave Rapoza has his study routinr out
oh that meme schedule thing yeah that'll totally work out for people who have jobs
>>
>>2948186
never gonna make it
>>
>>2947809
this is such a huge generalization. what makes you think that nobody wants to make work that's both appealing and skillfully handled, or wants to make anything other than whatever appeals to as many people as possible.
>>
OP is completely right, honestly. Having good taste, being able to tell stories with your art, drawing appealing lines, and pandering to your audience will get you success. Normies don't care about your art being perfect or not. Many famous artists don't know what the fuck a Loomis is, how to use perspective grids, etc, they're still successful. Stop being a perfectionist, start being appealing.
>>
mad reactionary /r9k/ faggots that can't draw coming to /ic/ to shit on people. we know what is and isn't appealing and people don't only like looking at super simplified postcard art all the time. everything designed around you requires art, concept design for movies, video games, magazines, etc. all require understanding in anatomy and perspective. even among the "normie" instagram shit that gets you "followers" there's plenty of people that are skilled and also have an appealing style on top of that. so the answer is you need both, you reactionary, all or nothing professional shitposters.
>>
>>2948295
What's that? I can't hear you way over here with your Loomis Eye of the Printer book in front of your face; gotta speak a little loude--oh hold on, I'm actually making art here, not studies, brb with you mate.
>>
>>2948303
I enjoy studying, I enjoy learning how to manipulate forms and make them look real. enjoy appealing to 13 year olds on instagram by making postcard art and never being able to evolve outside of that, I guess? seems like a lastworthy endeavor for sure. not that I believe you're even doing that.
>>
>>2948305
Seems we have little miscommunication here, friendo, but that's fine. I'm sure whatever you are studying and you just so happen to die the next day someone will recover your exicting studies that will shape not just the artistic world forever, but science, and you'll be known as the 3rd coming of leonardo with solutions to extraterrestrial space travel through your mechanical studies.
>>
>>2947809
To begin stylizing you need to understand how atonomy/fundementals works tardo

If you want a good example you cant draw architecture without an atleast basic understanding of prespective or line structure
>>
>>2948313
sorry friend I don't conform to your strawman of "person that only studies loomis and doesn't do anything else with his time" I like drawing cartoons and stuff too homeskillet pale m8.
>>
>>2947818
>If your goal is to work for Riot Games making splash art, impressing normies with your casual art is the last thing you think about.
>this is your brain on video games
>>
>>2947815
>Loomis
No. Stop this meme. Do some modern anatomy book instead. Loomis has a terrible didactic.
>>
>>2947809
I've spent the last three years drawing without a style, just copied a lot of stuff and worked on perspective and other fundamentals. I guess a style needs to be consciously worked on too..
>>
>>2949060
Post your work.

You always have a style, if you want it or not, even if it's not refined.
>>
if you don't do anything except your style then you'll end up with same face and just keep using the same frame every time
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.