[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you recommend me some interesting watercolor artists? Who

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 17

Can you recommend me some interesting watercolor artists? Who are your favorites?
>>
charles reid
>>
>>2946773
Peter Scheeler on youtube, he makes videos of himself making sweet watercolour paintings.
I'm very bad with names thought, something that jumps to mind is the watercolor work of John Reinhard Weguelin.
>>
File: [Digik] CW_018019.jpg (254KB, 1354x980px) Image search: [Google]
[Digik] CW_018019.jpg
254KB, 1354x980px
Tatsuyuki Tanaka and Masaaki Yuasa are my favorites

Speaking of would anyone know what type or brand these Japanese artists use?
>>
>>2946801
Looks awesome
>>
File: endou okito.jpg (321KB, 1280x913px) Image search: [Google]
endou okito.jpg
321KB, 1280x913px
this guy is pretty good
>>
Adolf Hitler.
>>
>>2946826
>>>/reddit/
>>
File: f-hitler-a-20141124.jpg (1MB, 2747x3500px) Image search: [Google]
f-hitler-a-20141124.jpg
1MB, 2747x3500px
>>2946826
actually really good
>>
>>2946837
>tfw the most evil person ever is better than you
>>
>>2946837
I would love to own a Hitler, if only for the novelty value. Too bad they're far out of my price range.
>>
>>2946855
When he learned painting he was living in a farming place in a village near my place. He was deployed there after WW1. It hasn't changed much and the buildings are still the same. I wonder if I should ask the owners if they still have some of his stuff and possibly drawings
>>
>>2946856
That would certainly be a huge find.
I bet there are plenty of old Hitler paintings stashed away across Austria, given that he apparently sold thousands during his years in Vienna. Some might even have them on their wall, completely unaware of who painted them.

My father told me a funny story a few years back. Back in the 70s, his uncle had died, and aside from the monetary inheritance and some trinkets, no one seemed particularly interested in claiming the estate. My father was certain that he had spotted a Munch painting when stopping by his uncle's house, and asked my grandfather if he could try to get it as part of his inheritance, as no one else seemed to be aware of what it was.
A few days later my grandfather showed up with a worthless painting of a monk, as he wasn't aware that my father actually meant the painting by Munch. He still keeps the monk painting in his room as a memory of his father.

If the painting that he was actually after was a real Munch or not remains a mystery.
>>
i decided to get watercolors tomorrow cause they are cheaper than oils and i can take them wherever i want, overall they seem less trouble for me to use than other mediums, but i have never used them, never ever. can you guys recommend some good tutorials or videos on them for a complete beginner i that path. i also like their aesthetics.
>>
>>2946874
James Gurney is the man, watch his youtube videos, he also has a blog which is a great resource

http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/search/label/Watercolor%20Painting
>>
>>2946878
thanks anon, ill get right into it
>>
>>2946874
Check out the youtube channel recommended this anon recommended >>2946791
>>
>>2946818
thats not watercolor you fucking cunt
>>
>>2946882
i like peter, his stuff really added to my motivation
>>
File: tis-goro-sasaki-medium.jpg (126KB, 585x446px) Image search: [Google]
tis-goro-sasaki-medium.jpg
126KB, 585x446px
Recently found the portfolio of this Japanese
http://en.tis-home.com/gorosasaki

Really like it
>>
File: Joseph Zbukvic.jpg (548KB, 1600x1147px) Image search: [Google]
Joseph Zbukvic.jpg
548KB, 1600x1147px
>>2946773
Joseph Zbukvic is my favorite, it's not even close.
>>
>>2946840
Stalin killed more people.
>>
How can a guy get a good watercolor effect in say, sketchbook pro 6?
>>
>>2947067
Not to mention Stalin killed his own people. Objectively more evil.
>>
>>2947198
I use sketchbook, Photoshop, CSP, and Corel and I have never liked any of their watercolor tools. Its much easier to do it traditionally, in my opinion.
>>
>>2946773
literally everyone featured on this site https://www.californiawatercolor.com/
>>
>>2947067
>>2947250
Mao zedong was worse than both of them combined
>>
>>2946801
Looks neat

What artbook is that?
>>
File: [Digik] CW_017018.jpg (213KB, 1346x980px) Image search: [Google]
[Digik] CW_017018.jpg
213KB, 1346x980px
>>2947319
Cannabis Works
>>
do you guys use normal office paper for watercolors?
>>
>>2947948
Don't use office paper, it will only lead to frustration and you will only end up wasting your time. Use watercolor paper. It doesn't have to be the most expensive watercolor paper, but don't use conventional office or drawing paper for dry media.
>>
>>2947948
Paper is the most important thing.
An arts store near sells big sheets of watercolour paper which are way cheaper than those watercolor blocks and you can just cut them into smaller sizes.

I bought an A1 sheet for barely 2 euros, while a block of 15 A5 sheets easily costs 15 euros.
I don't really understand why this is the case, it's something to keep in mind.
>>
>>2948026
Dumb question, but what are the smartest ways to cut such a big piece of paper if you want to get it right and clean? I don't like the results i get from folding and cutting.
>>
>>2948029
I just measure out the distances and then draw a line with a ruler to avoid ugly folding edges.
Then I cut along the lines with a sharp knife, though I don't use a ruler when cutting so my edges tend to be a bit wobbly which isn't much of a problem since I'm still doing practice most of the time.
Using a dull knife on thick paper is something I don't recommend.

I don't know if this is the smartest way to do it, it's just how I do it and it works for me.
>>
>>2947952
>>2948026
thanks, i asked because i got frustrated and could not understand what was wrong i seemed like doing fine but paper just got destroyed. didn't even knew watercolor paper existed.
>>
>>2948936
Experiment a bit with materials try different techniques like wet or dry painting, lifting and things like that.
I've heard many times from different people that paper is the thing you shouldn't cheap out on, brushes and paints being less critical.

I have been doing a lot of practice with just one brush, which I bought for 10 euros and a cheap box of winsor & newton paints.
>>
>>2951996
i got the papers already and tried combination of dry and wet, of course its not masterpiece ofcourse but i am very happy with what i've done, i think watercolours became one of my fav mediums for now. i'm gonna stick to it for a longer, thanks for advices
>>
>>2952033
it's definitely a fun medium, i think though because there's such a variety of technique that people tend to take it a bit too seriously. you can just mess around with watercolor, it inherently makes nice marks so, like, just make sure you do have fun and don't get obsessed with paper and paint, and brushes and all this sort of thing.
>>
rebecca guay
>>
File: Zornes_Milford_At_Mismaloya_NF.jpg (109KB, 792x578px) Image search: [Google]
Zornes_Milford_At_Mismaloya_NF.jpg
109KB, 792x578px
>>2947293
dude, yes
These guys are underappreciated
>>
>>2952070
yeah i usually have that point of view. also there are no mistakes just happy accidents, right? :)
>>
>>2947293
wow
>>
>>2946773
i like dis guy
>>
File: 1464035760903.jpg (1MB, 1497x2500px) Image search: [Google]
1464035760903.jpg
1MB, 1497x2500px
>>2954304
Zorn is amazing
>>
File: johnwhorfsea.jpg (65KB, 750x585px) Image search: [Google]
johnwhorfsea.jpg
65KB, 750x585px
>>2947293
Fuck yes, these guys make me weep from frustration.

Other stuff to look at are oldie days people,, Thomas Girtin, JS Cotman, John Ruskin & Turner who inspired him the most, William R Flint. Sargent & John Whorf, Thomas Moran.
Modern stuff, I like Ian Sidaway.
>>
>>2955752
I NEVER EVEN REALISED THAT PIECE WAS IN WATERCOLOUR oh man!
>>
File: John Whorf wc.jpg (166KB, 800x574px) Image search: [Google]
John Whorf wc.jpg
166KB, 800x574px
>>2955756
Yep, I've attached an oil.
Here is a wc by him.
>>
>>2955752
How can I do this?
>>
>>2955764
Resurrect Zorn from the dead and make him your tutor
>>
File: 1917.86.jpg (54KB, 600x389px) Image search: [Google]
1917.86.jpg
54KB, 600x389px
>>2955764
Fuck me if I know. Watercolorists today seem to either paint by numbers which kills the purpose of the medium, or do some semi-abstract impressionistic style that always looks the same.

I can tell you for sure that 1) they did a ton of preparatory work for the watercolor paintings, Sargent's alligators weren't just a life drawing sketch 2) they used a lengthy and complicated process involving resists, body color, etc. so they definitely expanded their array of tools to achieve that kind of value range and detail.

Then of course they were god tier painters who knew their medium like the back of their hands.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.