[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Outed workflow

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

Hi /ic/,

Was arguing with a friend who is also a concept artist. Do not want to be associated with here so not posting work.

But, why do people go through all the hours to learn 2D concept art when it getting replaced with 3D concept art all the time.

Pretty much 90% of my work is in zbrush now and other 10% is in substance painter.

Worst if someone said they wanted an environment for a new game I would just open maya and model it. With modular pieces its really easy to kit bash stuff together.

Guys just please do not waste 1,000 hours drawing perspective and stuff when your going to end up using sketch up. Also, look at artist the new concept artist coming along and they are all using 3D.

Soon the 2D concept art guys will be like guys who do concept art on paper.
>>
>>2945070
What? 2D is still a big thing, and it's often used in conjunction with 3d. Knowing 2d will also help you even if you are doing a piece that is 100% 3d.
>>
>>2945070
There is a whole feng zhu video about this. Look for the video on 2D vs 3D.
>>
>>2945070
>talking about props
>concept art is just props
I hope you don't think this. Maybe you do though, because you've been stuck for years.
>>
>>2945070
>Art is just concept design
>>
You need to know both to be good, faggot.

They go hand in hand, there are things you can do much quicker with 2D skills and things that could save you a buttload of time if you knew 3D.
>>
>>2945070
>anon design for me 30 windows
>stays up all night sculpting 5 windows in zbrush
>why didn't you just draw them anon?
>>
>>2945265
this
>>
They say they want to be a concept artist
They think they want to be a concept artist
But they don't really want to be a concept artist
And that's why they draw, they draw because they want to draw not because they want to work as a cog in a machine they don't care about.
And there's nothing wrong with that
The concept art industry sucks, get a day job and draw what you want in your own time. Maybe you'll get lucky and someone will like what you draw and make a movie out of it where some sucker will have to draw a load of vases in a 5 second scene that nobody cares about

Follow your dreams responsibly, take control of your own life
>>
>>2945070
Because some faggots can do 3d but can't paint, so a 2d artist has to give them the designs that they're too retarded to come up with themselves.
>>
>>2945070
Not to mention, most of us probably want to be illustrators, not work in the Chinese game """"industry"""".
>>
>>2945070
people like you are cancer that should be eliminated along with the ((((((entertainment industry)))))
>>
>>2945070
>Worst if someone said they wanted an environment for a new game I would just open maya and model it. With modular pieces its really easy to kit bash stuff together.

And that's exactly why you don't have a job in concept art and no one will ever ask you to do an environment for a new game.
>>
Chauvinism of disciplines - learn everything, why limit yourself.

Drawing as a tool of thinking, model as a tool of thinking - different mediums have different strengths and limitations.

It is immature to divide.

Its all visual communication at the end of the day, something is suited for one purpose, something is suited for another purpose.
>>
Yet the concept art produced today has inferior designs compared to the works of people like Syd Mead, Ralph McQuarrie and Ron Cobb.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.