[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How close am i to kjg level?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 18

File: a.png (277KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
277KB, 800x640px
A little bit about me. I'm 19 years old, thinking about going to art school. Anyway, I've been practicing relentlessly for the past 3 years trying to reach kjg level. Here are my sketches. Tell me on a scale of 1-10 how close I am

And yes, the are all from imagination
>>
File: b.png (237KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
b.png
237KB, 800x640px
>>
File: c.jpg (203KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
c.jpg
203KB, 700x700px
>>2944213
>>
loomis reed loomis
>>
Boxes

in perspective
>>
plz let me know how you got to this level, what was your training regimine, and how?
>>
>>2944223
I read loomis
>>
do you have a drawing with two or more characters interacting?
>>
>>2944227
no srsly though, you didnt just read loomis and get this good, how did you apply what you learned to get to this level from imagination?
>>
File: le drawing man.jpg (115KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
le drawing man.jpg
115KB, 800x600px
>>2944227
Perhaps you did, but you did not understand his teachings.
>>
several characters in interaction with each other, in correct perspective, or better yet with the fisheye lense. do all that in front of a live audience and you have reached kjg level.
>>
>>2944231
100 boxes every day
>>
>>2944212
2-3 right now, not enough boxes and extreme perspective, if you posted full environments with interacting characters there'd be a more accurate estimate
>>
6 more years and you might reach his mediocre art
>>
>>2944212

Nosebro stop picking on this youngin
>>
>>2944231
That guy wasn't me. Sorry for the feedback everyone, too lazy to reply. I do study the old masters but I don't do reproductions. I simply look at it intently and try to work from imagination. Hope that helps.
>>
>>2944212
blog?
>>
>>2944212
you nailed the cringe factor, now you just have to learn to draw
>>
>>2944212
>>2944214
>>2944213
I love this! Do you have a blog?
>>
>>2944212
>no environments
>no clothes(the one you have is shit)
>no vehicles/ hard surface things
>shotty animal (and only 1)
>mediocre linework
>no sense of light/form
>shotty anatomy
>anime
You should already be in college at 19. You're maybe at a 3.
>>
>>2944212
>>2944213
>>2944214
Better than 78.8% of /ic/, blog?
>>
>>2944212
If you were to draw fan-art of the flavor of the month show/anime, you could make a killing off of commissions or patreon (that is assuming your painting/coloring skills are as decent as your sketching skills).
Then with your bandwagon money, you could pay to go to a fancy art school, or live life as a rich neet (that's also assuming you don't currently have a job).
Start making art connections. Make a blog, post your art, talk to other artists, draw shit people like to gain a following, post consistently on your blog.

I'm curious, is sketching the only thing you're good at, or do you understand values and colors decently as well?
What about scenery, plants, and architecture?
>>
Maybe a 1, if even that.
I don't think you understand just how fucking good he is.
You're a lot better than the majority of ic but you're nowhere close, or even comparable to supreme leader Kim.
>>
>>2944254
But KJG draws anime too.
>>
>>2944212
basically nowhere near his level or just hard to tell.
you are drawing characters in perspective which is really not a big deal. show me some landscapes or backgrounds with 4 point perspective full of details and people in them and then we can talk again.
>>
>>2944212
>>2944213
>>2944214
O-OH GOD MY FUCKING DIIIICCCCCKKKK!!!

B L O G ?
L
O
G
?
>>
>>2944212
you are 20 years behind KJG
>>
>>2944212
Setting your life goal is one thing, but asking hourself "am I here yet" at this age is beyond retarded. Even in 10 years you won't be at his level. He's a top tier artist that has dozen of years of experience behind him.

Good shit tho.
>>
Do you take commissions?
>>
I like dick
>>
>>2944212
very far, you are like the last tier, the anime tier. And he proclaims himself to be at the "God level".

You are not even good tier in the anime zone.
>>
F*CK YOU ARA
>>
ayyyyyy cool stolen animu art, that's offical concept art don't u know??
>>
Is everyone from sycra forums coming here now? Either this is someone pretending to be jpeg96 or it is him posting art he made two years ago when he was 19. He was inspirational to me I still remembered his other alias. Here ou go thirsty people. http://jpeg96.deviantart.com/gallery/
>>
>>2944566
Nobody fucking cares.
>>
>>2944566
How much is he paying you to shill?
>>
If you have to ask others, then you're not
>>
File: 1492216763835.png (63KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1492216763835.png
63KB, 350x350px
Holy shit, you people consider this good? Time to start posting my stuff in those draw threads
>>
>>2944598
you are probably just a bit better than him and still shit, kek.
>>
>>2944212
About 15000+ hours away
>>
>>2944598
Post your work (from imagination).
>>
File: ARB.jpg (3MB, 3262x4982px) Image search: [Google]
ARB.jpg
3MB, 3262x4982px
You've gotten this far on your own. See how far you can take yourself in 4 years. Get a part time job and work hard on your art. Sign up for pay-as-you-go courses near you or online, take advantage of free services like ctrlpaint.com.
>>
>>2944212
Kek, there's already two people on /ic/ that do that better than you from imagination, let alone KJG.
>>
>>2944212

>i'm g-good
>draws weeb shit
>>
>>2944651
who?
>>
>>2944212
you are gud op,
>>
>>2944213
A cat is fine too
>>
>>2944673
lurk more.
>>
>>2944242
na hes really an egomaniac, i dont take off my name for shitposting purposes. I took off my name twice in the last year or so, it was only for two jokes that my name would've ruined. They didn't get more than 2 replies together.
>>
File: 1462947402484.jpg (2MB, 2269x3302px) Image search: [Google]
1462947402484.jpg
2MB, 2269x3302px
You're alot better than most of the people coming here making threads like this so I believe you have potential and will give you my thoughts, take what you will from it these are just my thoughts.

You are trying to reach KJG's level, not KJG's style, very different things
It's clear that you are inspired by him, I can see the influence in your art but if you continue in this direction you will become a copy of KJG and nobody will respect you for that even if your skills are identical to his.
What you should do is find other artists that inspire you so that you can form a unique style from that.
You don't have to go out of your way to desperately find new artists, you need to experience more of what life has to offer. KJG himself is influenced by many artists but most of all he is influenced by the real world.
In fact all great artists are greatly inspired by the real world, you must experience the real world, that is the secret.

On a more casual note, your lines are not confident like KJG, one thing that sets him apart is his ability to create accurate strokes without construction, you don't have to forgo construction in your art but you should work on your lines. Your lines are scratchy and in many places there are lines that serve no purpose that make the image look messy. Work on this.
A good source for inspiration and knowledge in good linework are etchings. Look at this art and learn how to create clean lines like them. This will take you many years.
>>
File: 1472748896621.jpg (248KB, 638x640px) Image search: [Google]
1472748896621.jpg
248KB, 638x640px
>>2944645
This makes me wonder
Do people consider Graphic design schools to be "art schools"?
I am currently in Graphic Design school and almost been there a year. 2 years left.

I am not learning to draw there, but rather learn how to build a career as an artist, CV's, portfolios, domains, typography, usage of adobe programs, cloud etc.

Is it worth it to go through this?
>>
>>2944774
Do you really need to pay someone thousands of dollars to teach you how to use "adobe programs" or "cloud"? The answer to that, as well as your question of whether or not it's worth it to go through it, is no.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (155KB, 1920x1038px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
155KB, 1920x1038px
>>2944783
If your school isn't teaching you anything that you couldn't learn by pressing f1 you should probably consider moving on to something else.
>>
>>2944719
>Avoiding
shocking
>>
>>2944212
You still have a way to go to reach "kjg level", but... It's nice to have idols, but try not to think so much about comparing your self to other artists, just focus on getting gudd in general. You certainly have a lot of potential and is way better then most art-aspiring 19 year olds! You're focusing on a lot of the right things (despite animu) in terms of gesture, construction and anatomy. But remember to step out of your comfort zone, create scenes, work with color, incorporate some landscape and mechanical things in your drawings, broaden your subject matters. Off course, you only posted a few pages of sketches, so you might already be doing this, but keep going and you're gonna make it!
>>
>>2944797
>being this cocky

lurk more >>2942147

don't have the names or posts of the other ones. Pretty much better at everything.
>>
>>2944783
>pay thousands of dollars
are you fucking stu... nevermind, you're living in a third world country
It's free in my country.
>>
>>2944825
Enjoy your 40% income and 30% sales tax rate you impoverished euro-peon faggot lmao
>>
>>2944449
>>2944257
>>2944251
samefag but not OP
>>
>>2944834
>/ic/
>he thinks he's going to make money out of this profession
average burgerbrain at it again
>>
File: 1486636411380.jpg (188KB, 500x502px) Image search: [Google]
1486636411380.jpg
188KB, 500x502px
>>2944212
>digital
>>
>>2944839
Wrong.
>>
>>2944844
sorry OP
>>
>>2944840
>He lets muslims fuck his wife

Average euro-cuck.
>>
>>2944797
>disappearing
Shocking
>>
>>2944929
I have to thank the muslims for magically conjuring me a wife out of nowhere.
Also your burger ass is far more cucked than the whole EU together. Enjoy your "free" health care, enjoy your "free" education, enjoy your "freedom"
>>
>>2944212
It's shit, not gonna make it.
>>
>>2944929
>fifty-six percent.
>>
>>2944212
>>2944213
>>2944214

severe lack of construction and balance.

>anime

might as well stop drawing now.
>>
What is a KJG?
>>
>>2946258
Kim Jung Gi. He's famous for being able to draw nearly anything from any angle out of his head with no construction lines. Look up some of his images and then check out on youtube videos of him drawing.
>>
>>2946144
>>2945966
>free school

Every time.
>>
70 replies with nothing but filled with jaded shitpost and contrarians. Day /ic/ is worst /ic/

Anywho, You seem grasp the fundamental of anatomy and structuring well enough OP, but what about landscape and extreme perspective? This is a passable level for manga and high tier fanart illustration, but it's roughly a decade behind KJG. If you're aiming for game concept artist tier, then you're probably halfway at this point.
>>
>>2946273
Oh, nice perspective, yeah. I can't say I like his linework or rendering very much though. It's
>>
>>2944212

You're far from KJG level but it doesn't matter. You're in a very good place and way better than most aspiring artists at 19. You'll have no trouble making it at this rate if you continue to be productive and don't get complacent
>>
>>2946282
If I don't have to heads up pay for it, how is it not free?
>>
>>2946283
I doubt that's the actual artist. I've seen him post here, but I doubt he would be stupid enough to start a thread and compare himself to KJG. That's a recipe for getting shit on.

Most likely it's someone who's jealous of the guy who drew those and wants to destroy his reputation on /ic/. When digging through the archive, I noticed that the artist who drew those had a shitposting feud with Nosebro, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's who made this thread.
All three pictures were also posted 2 months ago, meaning there are no new pictures, which would imply that they're posted by someone who got them from /ic/.

Another option is that these pictures were never posted by the one who drew them, even in the first thread. It's a common tactic used by trolls to get /ic/ to attack artists they're jealous of, but the faggot mods don't seem to give a fuck or pay any attention.
>>
>>2947979
I do this all the time
>>
>>2946283
It's mostly just jealous autist.
>>
>>2944598
>>
File: KILLYOURSELFFAGGOTGAYSHIT.png (4KB, 220x229px) Image search: [Google]
KILLYOURSELFFAGGOTGAYSHIT.png
4KB, 220x229px
>>2944274
Cringe levels 1000
>>
>>2948170
I won't post work. Not yet
>>
You clearly understand from and anatomy pretty well, I'm jelly, although I would like to see a finished work from you
>>
File: lilith_by_jpeg96-dasgqjj.jpg (307KB, 766x953px) Image search: [Google]
lilith_by_jpeg96-dasgqjj.jpg
307KB, 766x953px
fite me shitlords
>>
>>2948513
So you are jpeg96?
>>
You're a tier 3 artist.
0 - Normie
1 - hard /beg/, drawing loomis heads straight on all day
2 - Approaching baseline competence, understands what form is, is just shit at it, lacks understanding of anatomy or other visual library elements, Average /ic/ posters meander around here and tier 3
3 -At the level where you can comfortably draw poses from imagination that don't look too shit, visual library is still pretty small, and you can't really illustrate or create finished works.
-YOU ARE HERE-
4 - basic competence. Can draw figures in perspective and can convey movement and emotion sufficiently for it to read. Understands drapery, nature and environment design well enough to draw full compositions. Still lacking an expansive understanding of design, composition and appeal and has a pretty small visual library. You may be able to get pro work.
5 - Proper Competence. Perspective largely internalized.Gaining an understanding for design and other invention and appeal factors.Understanding of color starts here.
Beyong this point one has 100% "made it"
6. Notable tier. Developed a distinct and appealing (not sycra) visual language. Has a more robust understanding of perspective and other concepts. Understanding of color and light beginning to form properly
7.Professional tier. Competent at everything, And is Good at something.
8. Exceptional tier. Is great at something.
9. Accended tier. Is great at many things
10.Elder god tier. Is great at everything
>>
>>2948534
Yes.
>>
>>2944212
Pretty nice sketches, but that's what they are, sketches.
Post some real work
>>
>>2948539
I can make finished stuff u faggot
>>
>>2948543
>muddy anime girl against grey plane
>finished work
:thinking:
>>
>>2948543
mmm looks soft
>>
Let's see collection of finished pieces.
Sketches will get you nowhere.

Lemme rephrase. Sketches are good for practice/study, observation, and experimentation. It's valuable, but doesn't show me A. Your composition sense, B. Your design sense, C how you handle values, D. How you handle environments, E. Your color choices and painting skill

People need to realize you can't just get away with drawing humans from imagination. Draw environments, draw objects, shoes, plants, insects, fish, planes, trains, barns, fields, forests, trees, rocks, bushes, garbage, pavement, costumes/fashion.
Literally ANY good artist can draw a naked human in any pose. PROFESSIONAL artists compose, simplify, amplify, obscure, soften, crispen, bring to focus, etc.

Don't get cocky friend.
>>
File: florencei_by_jpeg96-datk7g1.jpg (240KB, 577x1000px) Image search: [Google]
florencei_by_jpeg96-datk7g1.jpg
240KB, 577x1000px
>>2948762
If you actually bothered to check the fucking thread, you'd see finished pieces you turd.
>>
>>2948769
those are finished by normie standards

while you are good at what you do, >>2948539 is 100% right
>>
>>2948790
I can create finished works though, how am I just a level 3? People tell me i'm one of the greatest artists they've met
>>
>>2946289
i didnt know jack was ba
>>
>>2948800
Do other artists tell you that or do normies tell you that?
>>
>>2948815
No other artists on the sycra forums. Have they made me deluded?
>>
>>2948824
Well you certainly aren't bad but you still have a ways to go. There's always something to improve on so keep at it.
>>
>>2944212
>19 years old
http://jpeg96.deviantart.com/
>21 years old
>>
>>2948769
>this
>finished

I mean if you call a vignetted medium-shot with a basic figure with outdoor lighting finished, then "sure"

I'm not saying you don't have skill.
But where your weakness lies is in application. Where's the meaningful content? Where's the emotional impact? Why should I fucking care about your painting? Who is this girl? Why is she here? It seems like all that you're trying to say (from the "finished" pieces you've posted) is, "I can draw and render people pretty well."
Then why are people like Andrew Hem, James Jean, Dice Tsutsumi, Nathan Fowkes, Sparth, Jeremy Lipking, Jaime Jones are ALL getting fucking work professionally?
Their work CONNECTS with people. It means something to the audience. They don't need tight rendering skills because they have the ABILITY to portray specific ideas and concepts through the intentional design and composition elements they include. This connection gets them work.
That's why a lot of photorealist pencilers get a lot of flak all of the damn time. They have good skill, but they're merely transferring reality onto a piece of paper. They aren't designing or composing, rather they're being as accurate as they possibly fucking can. It's why a lot of normies see academic drawing as dry shit! Because there's literally nothing for them to latch onto emotionally! Sure you can compliment the skill and accuracy of the artist, but it never goes any deeper than that. To be an artist that merely shows off skill is frankly quite shallow. Ask yourself, "Why am I making art?"
Do some soul searching with what you really want to say, only you know the answer to that question. But until then don't consider yourself "better" than someone else, because frankly you have a very, very long way to go.

Check out a book called "Beyond Art Fundamentals" and it may help you.
>>
File: jpeg.png (53KB, 673x469px) Image search: [Google]
jpeg.png
53KB, 673x469px
>>2949263
You dumb, pretentious motherfucker.
>>
>>2949270
I don't give two shits

This is a redpill every artist must take at some point. Sorry if I gave it to you too early.
And you're calling ME Pretentious? Who the fuck are you? Who are you to say what I am or not? What gives you the audacity to make such claims? Because we're anonymous? I'm sure you wouldn't say SHIT if you were face to face with me.
Fuck off with this "pretentious" bullshit. I'm no better than you and you are no better than I.
>>
>>2949280
I hope for your sake that you're shitposting.
>>
>>2949286
wew lad nice comeback
>>
>>2949288
Have you been to therapy yet?
>>
>>2948545
>muddy
Can you explain? I'm too stupid to understand.
>>
>>2949290
kek why did you think my post was "pretentious"?
What did I say that was wrong? Maybe it was the fact that I was ignorant with this impostor and actually took it for an actual critique?
Is giving an honest critique (even to posers) seen as "pretentious" on a CRITIQUE board?

What drove you to reply? I'm genuinely curious. If you knew the thread was a shitposting thread, why did you bother replying?
>>
nosebro is pure cancer
remove underages
>>
>>2949296
First of all, that's not me you're replying to. Someone else seems to have replied in my place.
Second, your hostile reply to the picture above is colored by your perception of the guy pretending to be the artist.
Third, your whole spiel about creating meaningful content when replying to a picture of an anime girl is idiotic, as not every picture needs to be meaningful.
Fourth, you list a bunch of incredibly generic concept artists and portrait artists as examples of artists who create meaningful work that "connects with people".
Fifth, you actually told him to do some soul searching over an anime picture. I mean, really?
>>
File: daniel-craig-spectre.jpg (73KB, 900x470px) Image search: [Google]
daniel-craig-spectre.jpg
73KB, 900x470px
they look great op.
>the are all from imagination
fantastic. i give you a 9.

I don't know who is "kjg" but this effort is what makes you successful.

Also /ic/ going full asshole again. If you want to make monies you are not really need to realistic or anatomically correct drawings. Just create your own style.

I have a question. What methods did you use when you draw gestures and human figures from imagination and what books do you recommend?
>>
>>2949313
Read the thread, you fucking retard.
>>
>>2949308
>as not every picture needs to be meaningful.
People like images because it's meaningful to them for their own reasons. By your logic:
> your whole spiel about creating meaningful content when replying to a picture of an anime girl is idiotic
You're saying that vignettes of anime girls are meaningless. To think, heaven forbid, that someone actually critiques a simple anime girl #4,506 and begins to ask the question of creating meaningful content.
> incredibly generic concept artists and portrait artists
Those are some of the best world renowned artists out there, anon. To say they are generic (incredibly at that) actually reveals way more about you and what you believe.
Again, those who wish to take art seriously must know what they want to say with their artwork. Only they can answer that question, and so, yes, even an anime poster must do soul searching at some point. It's an innate human thing to do.

I'll admit I was rash and replied with hostility against you. But maybe you were mixing the definitions of "pretentious" and "realistic"?
>>
>>2949329
>People like images because it's meaningful to them for their own reasons
Yes, and if you've ever spent any time on 4chan, you'd know that even the most poorly drawn, generic anime pictures are meaningful to the whole waifu crowd, so by your own definition, that picture is meaningful, which makes your pretentious rant fall apart.
I don't even particularly like the picture you critiqued, I just find your criticism incredibly pretentious.

>Those are some of the best world renowned artists out there, anon.
I don't really care about your appeal to authority, because they don't appeal to me at all. Most of them are technically skilled and there's probably plenty I could learn from studying them, but it's really dull to look at.
The funny thing is that you criticize art that focuses on "skill and accuracy", yet some of the artists you mentioned are known for their obsessive over-rendering, boring designs and soulless landscapes. They serve their purpose as concept art and world building, but they're not particularly meaningful or interesting.

But yes, thanks for once against confiming that you're a pretentious retard.
>>
"Everything except Old Masters is shit" and "muh meta real art" is pretty pretentious position. Youthful idealism or brain cancer
>>
>>2949373
Who are you even talking to?
>>
>>2949380
pretentious fucks
>>
>>2944212
its awesome that you have a goal and an inspiration, and your drawings are real damn good

tho it aint too good of an idea to shoot at his level, especially now... just keep doing more things, branch out, go out of your comfort zone and do... hmm... something that he doesent do? make up your own rules!
>>
File: received_1371119562947230.gif (868KB, 195x229px) Image search: [Google]
received_1371119562947230.gif
868KB, 195x229px
>>2949364
>I don't care about the point you made because the artists you listed don't tailor to my preferred subjective aesthetic
That's not why I listed them.
Yes you are allowed to not like artists such as those but to blatantly cast aside their tremendous impacts to society and the entertainment industry is quite pretentious of yourself. It's fine to not like Picasso's work, but it's utterly profound to say that his work had no impact on society during his lifetime. Each one of those artists have made huge impacts on their respecting industries. Why ? Because their work is a catalyst for emotion. Entertainment artists convey emotion through illustrative keyframes, camera movement, dialogue, gesture, expressions, sound design, etc. Illustrators do most of the same except they have a little more room for subtlety. Even contemporary abstract minimalist art has meaning.
What I meant by that anime girl having "no meaning" is that with early artists just learning the ropes tend to "show off" their work. Again, that's fine and dandy but it won't get them anywhere. I assumed that the anime poster was just another artist who continually grinds fundamentals and never actually gets anywhere. A lot of posters here on /ic/ are exactly that, so it isn't an irrational thought to keep congruent the tendencies of this board and the way I reacted. Rarely does someone who knows what they're doing swings by and everyone benefits. I'm definitely not one of them but I am confident enough to give honest critiques.

>over-rendering, boring designs and soulless landscapes
These are artists of the top of their class. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean their work isn't good.

>i just find your crit incredibly pretentious
Was I even critiquing your work? No, so who cares about what you think? Something I did DROVE you to shitpost further on this thread and you call me pretentious? At least you're not held accountable for your words on 4chan. You seem like an insufferable asshole.
>>
>>2949481
>these artists are objectively revolutionary and objectively appeal to people's emotions
I guess you think Justin Bieber is a great artist, because he appeals to a lot of people's emotions and has had a huge impact on the entertainment industry.

>You seem like an insufferable asshole.
Now there's an ironic statement. A pretentious asshole who relies on logical fallacies calls someone else an insufferable asshole.

But sure. The next time I see a simple picture of an anime girl, I'll refer them to the old masters, tell them that their art has no emotional appeal and that they need to do some soul searching. I'm sure that'll help them a great deal, and I'm not going to look like a pretentious twat at all.
>>
>>2949516
>I guess you think Justin Bieber is a great artist
Again I don't have to like his work even though he's actually quite successful. His song "Sorry" is pretty good for Pop standards and it did amazingly well.

> A pretentious asshole who relies on logical fallacies calls someone else an insufferable asshole.
I'm sorry, what was your argument though? Oh yeah that I'm "pretentious" because I decided to take the bait of a shitposting thread. I've explained my reasoning quite clearly, yet you still keep parroting the same shit every time.
>You're pretentious because I don't like you or what you say!
Nice job. Great going there anon, you really got me with that one. I almost fell for it.

>The next time I see a simple picture of an anime girl, I'll:
>refer them to the old masters
I didn't refer anyone to "old masters." I specifically made it a point to list actual-alive and working artists. You can't go wrong though, talk to any professional and they'll start listing old masters too.
>tell them that their art has no emotional appeal
Beginning artists don't understand that they can intentionally control emotional appeal to apply to an audience rather than themselves (hobbyists need not apply). So yes, this is a true statement. People take it as pretentious because they're self absorbed in their own work (drawing things that they themselves like, rather than appealing to a specific audience). No one cares about your artwork until you make it relatable. Beginners haven't learned about this because they're too focused on the fundamentals. AKA why their work has "no meaning." It's really not hard to understand.
>they need to do some soul searching
Seems like you need to do some soul searching.
>>
>>2944254
bait, also post your work.
>>
>>2949544
>Nice job. Great going there anon, you really got me with that one. I almost fell for it.
You seem to have an incredibly poor grasp on understanding subtext or what people are trying to convey.

>Oh yeah that I'm "pretentious" because I decided to take the bait of a shitposting thread.
No, you're pretentious because of your inflated sense of self-worth, and for giving critique that is completely irrelevant and grandiose. You seemed more interested in putting him down and pretending to be well read, than actually providing anything helpful.

>I didn't refer anyone to "old masters."
I didn't say you did. I was showing how ludicrous your pretentious ranting was.

>Beginning artists don't understand that they can intentionally control emotional appeal to apply to an audience rather than themselves
That is an incredibly stupid statement, but I guess you're projecting your own idiocy here. Being a beginner doesn't mean being a complete idiot. Beginners are incapable of projecting emotion because they lack skill, not because they lack intent. Also, the artist we're talking about isn't a beginner.

>People take it as pretentious because they're self absorbed in their own work (drawing things that they themselves like, rather than appealing to a specific audience). No one cares about your artwork until you make it relatable. Beginners haven't learned about this because they're too focused on the fundamentals. AKA why their work has "no meaning." It's really not hard to understand.

There's an awful lot of vague statements and contradictions going on here. First of all, the vast majority of beginners don't give a shit about grinding fundamentals. Many ignore it altoghether, some half-ass it, while others start learning fundamentals when they hit a wall. Also, emotional appeal depends on your tastes and your target audience. If he's a weeaboo and drawing for a weeaboo audience, that would imply he knows where the appeal lies, at least according to your own logic.
>>
>>2949280
Holy shit, you are pretentious as fuck. wtf
>>
>>2949575
>You're pretentious because of your inflated sense of self-worth, and for giving critique that is completely irrelevant and grandiose.
What am I supposed to say, "Great stuff dude! Keep going!" or "It's shit."
Those aren't actual critiques, anon. By your definition, a post longer than three words is "grandiose."
That argument isn't valid. "Grandiose" is subjective, and irrelevant how? I directly critiqued not only his/her work, but provided an outlook and even referenced a book that explains more on the topic. If that isn't help, I'm not sure what is. Even if it is fake.
>You seemed more interested in putting him down and pretending to be well read.
1. If you didn't know OP was fake, would you have replied to me?
2. I can tell you've never had an actual critique before
3. If I wanted to put him down, there are plenty of trigger words to incite rage that aren't a paragraph long ("show your work", for example).
4. I had the full intention of giving a meaningful critique. If I actually wanted to insult the anon, I can do it in half as many words.
5. Not once did I directly insult OP.

>First of all, the vast majority of beginners don't give a shit about grinding fundamentals
Where are you getting this?

>That is an incredibly stupid statement
A lot of people get into drawing because they want to draw shit that they like. People who like comics start out by drawing comics they want to make. People who are into fashion draw fashion designs that they like. What beginners don't know is that they can appeal to more people than themselves through means of relatability. That's why people say to tailor portfolios to the "look" of the company you want to join. Your portfolio has to be relatable to them. It's a common practice that's constantly overlooked.

>Also, the artist we're talking about isn't a beginner
Nope, but even those with skill are susceptible to critique. Oh wait, I forgot I can't do that here.
>>
>>2949621
>If he's a weeaboo and drawing for a weeaboo audience, that would imply he knows where the appeal lies, at least according to your own logic.

Isolated work posted on an anonymous website. We don't know what exactly the artist is striving for. In this thread we know
A. Fake OP is trying to be KJG
B. He's showing off that his drawings are from imagination

I think it's safe to say through common recurrences on this board that if OP wasn't fake, he wasn't appealing to anyone apart from his own tastes.
>>
>>2949295
Not that other anon, but I think he's talking about how the values were applied in that piece. It isn't a very technical finish, and is heavily stylized in comparison to real skin. Obviously different artists will have different ideas of what "finished" means; someone with a more realistic focus would consider that as a first painting rather than a finished piece.
Thread posts: 127
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.