[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Character Design Crit?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

File: quetzal_by_loryska-davy4rx.png (238KB, 1024x614px) Image search: [Google]
quetzal_by_loryska-davy4rx.png
238KB, 1024x614px
yo dudes, I'm trying to better my character design abilities. For this particular guy, he is meant to be the lead in a graphic novel. I needed something humanoid that could also run on four legs (kind of Nico Marlet style).
>>
Looks nice to me, a bit like Toothless from How to train your dragon.
>>
File: sidgi_ref_2010_by_sidgi.jpg (482KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
sidgi_ref_2010_by_sidgi.jpg
482KB, 1200x1200px
>>2944196
Looks like a mix between a sergal and Toothless from how to train your dragon
>>
>>2944196
It's an interesting design, if not a little basic, although that's probably a good thing if you're doing a graphic novel since it can be consistently drawn through without much hassle.
I'd say that you should really think about the character itself, like their personality, role in the story, race etc. Since it looks animalistic, perhaps you could look at some real life creatures as inspiration
>>
As >>2944196 said, it's somewhat reminiscent of Toothless. I prefer the standing version's eyes, because they look more predatorial and fit its physique more. The eyebrows kind of bother me, since it's an animal fully covered in fur, but I guess you drew them on to make it more expressive.
>>
>>2944826
I don't know how I managed to mess up the reply, sorry.
>>
insert ,,original,, post about furries here
>>
File: posing.jpg (438KB, 1152x720px) Image search: [Google]
posing.jpg
438KB, 1152x720px
>>2944196
I think the drawings are kind of appealing, especially proportion wise, but I guess it feels like the character could be literally anyone nondescript. When you're designing a character try to think of who this character is, what about their design tells you their history? I'm not talking "special little snowflake" shit, but if your character is like a kid with asthma, then give her an inhaler. Or if you're character is a leader of some band of rebels, give him something that shows how he got there, something that drives him. I don't know, maybe the baddies killed his sister and he carries around like a memento of her's, whatever the hell you want. I don't think you're character has anything that really defines him right now. I can't tell you what it would be since you know him better, but really think what sort of personality he is (Write like 10 adjectives that describe him maybe?), what his history is, just what sets him apart? Big or small, whatever it is.

Other big suggestion would be the posing and expressions of your character. Again, kind of what makes them unique, what makes them who they are. How does he look when he's mad? NOT "how does being mad look?" but how does HE get mad? Does his brow furrow funny? Is his mouth pulled up or down more on one side? Then the poses themselves, use them to tell us who he is also. I did some quick, and crappy, sketches to illustrate some. Like your pose on the left, it feels like he's trying to be stoic, strong silent type or whatnot, but really push the pose more. Try to clarify the emotion of a pose through the expression and the body language. I kinda tried to push and clarify your posing a bit more (can still go way beyond what I did here though), so that it has more flow and line of action to it. Really try to work with tilting parts of your character, like head, shoulders, hips, etc. Adds some more interest to the pose to. I don't know, like what kind of stoic is he? Brave/ imposing? Quiet/ brooding?
>>
>>2945289
Saved
>>
>>2944196
Lazy, over-simplified design
>>2944230
Hardly original, if not edgy and borderline a feitsh
>>
>>2945289
fukin sick dude. That's great advice. I was trying to get the line of motion across, but I'm personally pretty inexperienced with the more technical aspect of design. This was supposed to be the "base layer" of the character, like just a naked guy so I can recognize him even without clothes. (He will have clothes tho, but that's another stepping stone.) But I see what you mean about the little tweaks I can make to add interest. Now that I look at it again, it really was missing something. 'ppreciate you going the extra mile to show me that!
>>
Also maybe it's the fact that I'm still working out his personality combined with the fact that I made this guy as a sophomore in High School.
>>
File: plzloveme4chibs.png (721KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
plzloveme4chibs.png
721KB, 1600x1200px
>>2945289

Here's a bit of an update.
>>
>>2945478
join the /ic/ discord, they should be able to help you
>>
>>2944196
I'd fuck it
>>
>>2945478
The thick eyebrows are a unique touch, but for the rest of the body I can't tell if it's supposed to be a intelligant anthro or an animal that just happon to have a very human facial features for cartoon purposes? Maybe design him wearing some clothes.
>>
>>2945528
I'd consider it more the latter, but idk honestly. I made them upright to be more relatable and culturally similar to humans, but they aren't symbolic of people. I guess imagine it as if a weasel took the evolutionary path of a human, and became bipedal and smart. It's just a cartoon dude
>>
File: 1488045556326.png (1MB, 1060x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1488045556326.png
1MB, 1060x1300px
This might help for planning out gestures.
>>
>>2945478
The brows (and the posture) reminds me of Ratchet from Ratchet & Clank a bit
>>
very. VERY bad
needs more loomis & read the sticky too
>>
>>2947292
I disagree. The design is a little basic imo but the character is drawn with some good expressiveness. I'm guessing the artist is female
>>
>>2945478
oh gosh, he's hot
>>
If you want feedback on the appeal of your designs, find the community you're targeting, and show it to them, then measure overall reception.

Design is very subjective, thus, it's hard to get concrete advice from other artists. The most important thing is that it resonates with you and what you/your client wants, and appeals to the target audience.
>>
>>2944230
Looks nothing like a sergal though
>>
>>2947707
he was obviously shitposting
>>
>>2947710
Kill yourself
>>
File: IMG_1672.jpg (81KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1672.jpg
81KB, 640x480px
>>2944196
looks really generic and forgettable
It's like someone's toothless oc

What is it supposed to be, or what kind of impression should it give off?
The head seems structureless and does not go with the rest of the body. It might be better to base it on a few real animals, like a cat, or a rabbit.
>>
>>2949742
who's the artist?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.