[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comics

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 26

File: JUST.png (629KB, 3274x1732px) Image search: [Google]
JUST.png
629KB, 3274x1732px
So Anon, hows your webcomic coming along?
>>
I need to start it
>>
still doing beginner things like shading cones and cubes and shit.
>>
>>2943017
literally me
>>
>>2942999
tl;dr
>>
it's going
>>
File: 1486578704980.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1486578704980.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>2943104
>If you want to make a webcomic don't make it you're main outlet because sooner or later it will break you
>If you have a high concept idea try to pimp it out to other people and assemble a team to help writing/editing/etc

I'd heed the anons advice because it seems genuine, don't let it stop you from making that webcomic though
>>
>>2943145
I'm on my third comic that's about to hit page 100 - can confirm burning out happens fast if you don't have the disciplin/ dedication.
>>
File: highres.jpg (140KB, 1280x698px) Image search: [Google]
highres.jpg
140KB, 1280x698px
>>2942999
Here is my first attempt. What think is yours?
>>
>>2945730
Looks amazing. Do you draw lolis? Any possible tips you can share?
>>
File: almost_loli.jpg (157KB, 1280x846px) Image search: [Google]
almost_loli.jpg
157KB, 1280x846px
>>2945747
I don't have honey pot level. Here is a start :
>>
>>2945750

You have potential. All you need is a mentor to move up the ranks.
>>
My advice; don't make a 'webcomic', make a comic that happens to be online.

Write scripts, plan the most important plot-lines out, write everything continuously even if you're only posting a page a week. And if you can, work on a backlog long before actually posting the comic so you'll always have something to show.
>>
>>2943132
dynamic! nice
>>
File: Screenshot_17.png (367KB, 654x851px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_17.png
367KB, 654x851px
>>2942999
it's coming
>>
>>2946216
^this
>>
File: 5.jpg (597KB, 1063x1600px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
597KB, 1063x1600px
More than 500 pages in. Almost 500 left to do untill the story is properly wrapped up. Give me your strength /ic/ because I am running out of my own.
>>
>>2946807
How cancerous.
>>
>>2946807
I will give you my strength anon, I don't need it anyway
>>
>>2946817
>omg it's shit Le tumblr eyes le reddit sjw noses keekeee
>>
>>2946807

I jacked off to your comic once. Hope that helps.
>>
>>2942999

been planning it out for so long that I'm afraid to actually start making the thing.

someone help me.
>>
>>2946841
Maybe just make some test sheets, draw the characters and scenery often so you can feel more confident with it.
>>
File: ChocoMilk-Ch01_p01.jpg (603KB, 800x1120px) Image search: [Google]
ChocoMilk-Ch01_p01.jpg
603KB, 800x1120px
>>2942999
Finally started my own long term smut comic.
>>
>>2946807
>>2946847
came
>>
>>2946807
Please... Stay. I love your art. Never stop.
>>
>>2946807
I like your comic, I often look it up for uptdates
The brown girl is top tier
>>
>>2946847
God, you're so fucking good. I hate you. I've been training my fucking ass off for the past 18 months and i'm still nowhere near you. It's tiring seeing people create amazing comic book art like it's nothing.

Anyway, do you have a blog? I wanna follow your work.
>>
File: Test comic .jpg (131KB, 400x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Test comic .jpg
131KB, 400x1000px
>>2942999
This is the first page of a short comic I made a while back but it turned out super garbage. Now i'm working on another one hoping that it turns out better. Sigh
>>
Did I click the wrong board.
>>
File: Chapter 5.png (3MB, 1440x1980px) Image search: [Google]
Chapter 5.png
3MB, 1440x1980px
I've switched from screentones to watercolors. I found screentones too hard to work with, and they never did what I wanted them to, and they also made everything feel more sterile. I'm still tossing screentones in here and there, but I think watercolors are overall better, they look nicer, are faster to work with, and translate well to low res images.

Still need to work out my hatching, I feel like I'm overdoing it. A lot of trial and error when crafting my style.

>>2946807
I like this.

>>2946847
I like this too.
>>
>>2947417
Oh yeah, also any tips for short form comics? I feel like making some to help viral my brand, and draw more attention to my long form stuff. Short form has a lot of viralabililty, and I can post stuff like that in a lot more places.

I can crank out a good one in no time flat. The key comes down to the writing, which my friend said he's got. I just want some tips from people who've done it.
>>
File: IMG_1479.png (175KB, 540x416px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1479.png
175KB, 540x416px
I dunno how to do shit so I have nothing lmao

Some artist I am
>>
Where and how do you upload your web comic?

I'm planning on making kinda Like a 10 page per week thing but don't really feel like posting pages 1 by 1 on tumblr
>>
>>2947434
imgur, I'm also building a site, and I have a facebook page.

Building a site is ideal, imgur is second best as its got a very large userbase.

Use instagram to promote, cut the best panels from your comic, crop, add a bit of blur, and toss it in there with some hashtags.

Also, 10 pages per week is pretty crazy, what are you making?

You're better off making a full chapter, and teasing it like I just told you, by having a steady stream of stuff on instagram, a good 4 posts per week, that's how you catch interest.
>>
>>2947437
Never really considered imgur. thank you!

I've been reading Scott McCloud's books (totally recommend them) and I'm planning on making some short comics (30-50 pages) and uploading them to somewhere so yeah. We'll see how that goes.
The one I'm currently working on is a fantasy one about a girl who is looking for a monster that ravaged their home and stuff.
>>
>My comic is on hiatus since more than a half year now
>nobody miss it
eh
>>
>>2946807
oh shit, act cool everyone we're among somone who Made It (tm)
>>
>>2946937
Thanks. Though, I've been doing this on an almost daily basis for 4 years now. And trust me, it's not easy. I still struggle with a lot of stuff, especially landscapes and backgrounds.

anyway, my blog is
http://bbc-chan.tumblr.com/
>>
>>2946807
You're doing full color pages now? Dude, how do you finish 4-5 pages every week with that quality in full color AND do your patreon reward stuff? Do you actually live the draw 16 hours a day meme?
>>
That OP is a fucking retard
He goes on and on about how you need a team, snd bsicly implies a webcomic is too much work for one person to keep up with. Then he suggests buying a fucking animation program. lel
He sounds like a lazy milneal who just desnt want to put the work in to make things happen. Japanase magaka push out 20 pages a week, and the most they have is assistants. if you can't keep a pace of at least one, you have no business making a comic.
Shit ain't easy, if you want something, you have to work for it.
If you boil his point down to you shouldn't make a webcomic if your not willing to put in the effort to build an audience, and stick to your update schedule, then yeah I agree. Don't do it if you don't want to put the work in.
>>
>>2942999
Working on some kind of Pilot for http://www.saturday-am.com/blog/summermanga2017
But i have some worries that a comic about pro wrestling won't be as much of a hit. Also finding a artstyle that fits its pretty hard.
>>
>>2943132
I like the bottom panel
>>
>>2947734
That's not a meme. If you want to run a successful 1 man business, you have to live for your work.
>>
>>2947892
Most successful webcomic artists update 1-2 times a week. Maybe 3 tops and most of them have a much simpler style with far less detailed characters and backgrounds than Incase does.
>>
Working on strips until I gain some popularity. After that I want to make a patreon for my long term comic book
>>
>>2947927
>those soulless eyes staring at the viewer
a-anon, pls stop
>>
>>2947928
B-but its muh style!
>>
>>2947914
What does it matter. Incase could make 2 pages per month and still be successful. He loves his work and has time to dedicate to it. I can only respect him for this.
>>
>>2947974
I'm just impressed with how much shit he gets done per week with that sort of quality, is all.
>>
File: rr.png (3MB, 1600x1922px) Image search: [Google]
rr.png
3MB, 1600x1922px
Can I start drawing my webcomic at this level?
>>
>>2948205
yes.
But I wouldnt if i were you.
I would make a real comic instead and try to sell it and if that doesn't work then upload it online 1 page per week as a webcomic.
>>
>>2948205
I think your art style is uneven but it will be improving as long as you drawing, whatever I see here I would read however, you would need some good writing and story, gags or something that would kept me reading.
>>
File: rrrrrr.png (2MB, 1460x1680px) Image search: [Google]
rrrrrr.png
2MB, 1460x1680px
>>2948213
Reading some of the posts in this thread definitely has me considering submitting my comic to Dark Horse or Image. Still on the fence about it tho
>>2948214
Thanks anon, i've been reading a ton about what makes a good story/how to properly structure a story and going to a lot of writing workshops so I hope I can live up to your standards one day.
>>
>>2948223
You can try, but with this kind of quality you won't be considered imo.
>>
>>2948289
Thats fair
>>
>>2948205
>>2948223
If you do a webcomic it should be for practice purposes. Get used to the idea of making a comic and posting it consistently at a deadline, see if you can handle that or not.
>>
File: ch2pg018s.png (745KB, 900x1164px) Image search: [Google]
ch2pg018s.png
745KB, 900x1164px
I've been running a webcomic for about a year now, mainly just for fun and practice. While my art still needs a lot of work, drawing comics has definitely helped my art improve. I'd like to try pitching a professional comic someday, but only after I get a lot better at this.
>>
File: Camelot strip.jpg (665KB, 1600x1121px) Image search: [Google]
Camelot strip.jpg
665KB, 1600x1121px
tfw you will never reach Hal Foster tier where you get paid a shitload to meticulously draw one page a week.
>>
>>2946807
What it called
>>
>>2942999
Not on/co/ anymore?
>>
>>2949654

I'm not a huge fan of the style personally, but it's pretty dynamic and expressive, so good job.
>>
File: THE COMIC 42.gif (1MB, 817x440px) Image search: [Google]
THE COMIC 42.gif
1MB, 817x440px
terrible.
>>
I played around with the idea of starting a comic, partly for practice purpose. The thing that held me back was something I hadn't expected. I started using too much time trying to find the right typography/font. Went to all the free font websites but I kept wanting to redo them.

Anybody have some good recommendations for fonts?
>>
>>2950717

Sunday comics always feel right to me,
>>
>>2950725
thx for the suggestion. I feel that one may be a bit too distracting though. Maybe I'll end up just writing it in hand.
>>
>>2950717
you could always make your own font
>>
>>2950758
True I guess. I do have practice writing in hand so I'm relative fast but I guess there's no reason to not automate the process if I save time.
>>
File: brush teeth1.jpg (898KB, 782x997px) Image search: [Google]
brush teeth1.jpg
898KB, 782x997px
I usually put more effort into drawings than this, but I had a little idea that I wanted to get down and no time.

People ended up responding to it pretty well so I was thinking about doing a series of these to rake in that normie love. It this good enough? Is it cancer? Is my logo ok? (my goal would be to do something similar to what Simon Hanselmann does)
>>
Webcomics are for retards.

If you're smart you draw a real comic and get it published through Image or Fantagraphics or Dark Horse or Heavy Metal or whatever.
>>
>>2950772
Its spastic and hateable, but admittedly relatable.
>>
File: quo.jpg (404KB, 2000x2189px) Image search: [Google]
quo.jpg
404KB, 2000x2189px
I'm about done with my website project for 4D design
>>
>>2950881
Why would that be smart? Using the web seems like the way of the future. Trying to get published through one of the companies you mentioned sounds like it would both require connections and experience with their production methods or a lot of investment of time and effort that could turn out to be wasted.
>>
>>2950897
Hah, I was thinking the same thing. I tend to dive pretty deep into hyperbole. I'll try toning the next one down to see if there's a relationship between hateable and relatable.

Nice sentence btw.
>>
>>2950881
Why not both? It's what I'm doing. Use the web as a platform to gain a following, and then have it published.
>>
It's not. Because I'm a pleb in art school and I regret every moment of ithe.
>>
>>2950907
>Why would that be smart?

Because there is a huge measure of prestige that comes with being published by a legitimate company. You get your foot in the door of an industry where you can make connections and get exposure. When you publish a webcomic there's no reason for anyone to care. If you get a story in Heavy Metal then everyone who buys that magazine has exposure to your work. If you get something going with a creator-owned publisher your name and work shows up on their website and in their solicitations.

>Trying to get published through one of the companies you mentioned sounds like it would both require connections and experience with their production methods or a lot of investment of time and effort that could turn out to be wasted.

You don't need connections and their production methods are standardized across the industry.

Do you know what is a waste of time and effort? Putting out a webcomic. There are a zillion webcomics. Nobody cares and they're basically impossible to monetize.

Traditional publishing is hard but it's a far more effective use of time and energy, because publishers aren't going to turn down good work. Put your time and effort into making good work instead of wasting time on a webcomic trying to market it on social media. If you can get published properly that gives you so much more power, it makes you look way more legitimate.
>>
>>2951366
You have still not answered why they would pick you over the other "zillion" webcomics out there. If you say it's because you are better and people prefer your stuff then what is stopping you from making more cash through something like Patron?
>>
>>2951393
>You have still not answered why they would pick you over the other "zillion" webcomics out there.

Two reasons:

1) Because you're better than 95% of them (if you're not, you're not working hard enough)

2) Because publishers don't offer publishing deals to rinkydink web cartoonists. The creator pitches to the publisher.

>If you say it's because you are better and people prefer your stuff then what is stopping you from making more cash through something like Patron?

Patreon requires an audience which requires big time exposure which is a massive uphill battle that isn't likely to be won.

If you go down a real comics career track you build contacts, get paid work and actually accumulate achievements, which makes building an audience way easier. People are more willing to get behind somebody if they've actually got something tangible they can point to. Even if you put out a book and it doesn't sell, it's still out there. When you have real material to your name it makes you stand out from just being another guy with JPEGs on a webpage.
>>
>have a webcomic from years back
>people asking me monthly to bring it back
>finally bring it back now that studies and life have calmed down
The most important thing with working in the comic format and posting it as a webcomic is keeping to the schedule. I drafted and completed over 25 pages before posting up content just in case the momentum stops on my end.
OP has some very valid points. It's a bit unnerving since I just restarted so recently with all those exact thoughts riddling my mind. It's a large step for an artist.
>>
>>2947417
jojo?
>>
File: Arnold.png (259KB, 358x339px) Image search: [Google]
Arnold.png
259KB, 358x339px
>>2949654
That's a cutie bug grill, got a blog?
>>
>>2950567
Thanks. I'm still trying to nail down a style I can really enjoy

>>2951847
Thank you! I have one here:
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/nessiefynnart
>>
>>2947775
Just make the wrestlers little girls and it'll be an instant classic
>>
Been writing it for two years now. Am actually editing and going through the final draft of each of the chapters now.
>>
File: 1.jpg (68KB, 600x413px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
68KB, 600x413px
>Too much of a beginner to even start making comics.
>Pros tell me I have to know fundamentals
>Pros also tell me to draw comics even if Im a beginner
>If I upload a shit looking comic it will be destroyed by critics
>Will take years to make it look decent

Which one is it
>>
>>2955045
If you want to make good comics need to to know both the fundamentals of art and the fundamentals of comics, these are two separate things. Having high quality art does not mean you can make a good comic, and being able to make a good comic doesn't necessarily require great art (see: Mob Psycho 100, One Punch Man.) Ideally you should be studying and practicing both if you want to do comics.
>>
>>2942999
I have shit panaling and composition i might just use comic panel references.
Been writing a couple of comics and slowly inproving i might make it someday if i keep this pace.
>>
>>2955045

My advice, anon, is not to start on some odyssey 1000 page project you've been dreaming about for years until you know what you're doing. You should still make comics, there are aspects of it you won't learn just by grinding fundies and making comics will get you a lot of the fundie mileage anyway.

Try making a smaller project, IE a 10-page short story. When it's done it's done, if critics tear you a new asshole so be it, take their criticism and apply it to the next 10-pager. Develop your aesthetic, develop your workflow, get a feel for how to compose things, etc. Once you've found your sea legs, start working on more developed ones.
>>
>>2942999
running out of wacky faces because im an unfunny fuck
>>
>>2946216
This anon has the right idea,im writing my webcomic as a book first
>tfw my webcomic will be an adaptation of a book only i will read
>>
>>2949654
where can i read it?i want to read more of it
>>
>>2955126
Any tips or guides for writing short stories like that?
>>
>>2946847
Hey bb, I love your work.
Staying tuned for each update.
>>
>>2957462
http://householdslimemold.com/
>>
>>2950772
I quite like this. It's good.
>>
>>2955045
I'm not sure I understand the problem. If you are burning to make a comic then what is holding you back? Of course you will be able to do better next time and that's the point with doing it in the first place. You are not ever going to get anywhere at your current pace.
>>
It's not. I'm going to rant here. No one is going to read this post, and that's exactly what I need right now.

My main motivation to git gud was money. As in, my teenage ass didn't have the money to have my favorite artists draw muh OCs, so I had to draw them myself. I worked really hard to be able to draw them like they look in my head. Some characters get practiced with more than others, so there's a lot of room for improvement, but for the most part, I'm happy. Some of my favorite artists follow ME now. I'm even friends with a handful of them. I enjoy drawing my characters, and yet, there's something bothering me.

I should be happy and ready to start my webcomic, right? But I was so worried with actually getting decent art for my comic that I never once stopped to think if I wanted to share my story. It's really bugging me now that I'm starting to actually get popular. People see me drawing the same characters and they're asking if I'll ever draw their stories out. They ask if my characters are all from the same world. I didn't realize how personal it all was to me until the questions started coming in. I don't mind sharing a no context illustration of my character, but sharing the story seems so wrong. It also seems wrong to have spent so much time on this journey to perfect my art (which is endless- nothing is ever good enough and that's how it ought to be) to make a comic only to just get cold feet once people actually start to give a shit.

I wonder if maybe I should start with something simple. A story I wouldn't be afraid of sharing. Something less personal maybe. It sounds stupid, but I'm afraid of getting popular. I'm not afraid of sharing my art, but I'm so afraid of sharing the stories behind it.
>>
>>2958249
stop bein a bitch lol
>>
>>2958258
I'm well aware that I'm being a little bitch here. That's why I haven't even brought this up with anyone else, but we're all anonymous here. Might as well make use of that and get what's been on my head out.
>>
>>2958259
Real talk what exactly are you afraid of? That it's something you've built up for so long and the final product will never be able to deliver? That people are going to connect the story to your real life and judge you as a person? Because if it's either of those, I can tell you it's not gonna happen.

If you already have a following, even a small one, your fans are going to be excited you're finally giving them something they've been looking forward to. If your comic is good, great. If it sucks, well, you'll probably never even know. People are already interested; they're going to like pretty much anything you give them. The rare person who thinks "eh, it was better in concept" won't tell you, they'll just stop reading. Not every place is /ic/.

Also, I've done a bunch of stories that are borderline biographical and no one's ever said HEY DOES THE PROTAGONIST WANT TO FUCK HIS SISTER BECAUSE YOU TOO WANT TO FUCK YOUR SISTER (not a real example). People separate the art from the artist unless your private life is well known, which for some guy making a webcomic, is rather unlikely. Put yourself in your art. Yes it's scary, but it helps the art, and it helps you.
>>
>>2958249
post your art or your comic man you sound cool
>>
>>2958269
I actually don't really care what they think of the story, oddly enough. It's for me and I'll do what I want with it.

>People separate the art from the artist unless your private life is well known, which for some guy making a webcomic, is rather unlikely.

So that's actually part of the issue.

I think one of my biggest mistakes was allowing my online artist identity to mix with my real life identity. People who know me offline follow me on art accounts, and while I actually don't mind sharing my story with strangers, it feels a bit too intimate to share the story with people who actually know me. I wonder if I should just make a side account or something. I can't exactly block everyone from my old professors to my grandma. Still, if I'm going to do something like that, better now than if/when I'm ACTUALLY popular.

As for why I did that in the first place- followers. I gained more followers from people I knew in real life sharing my accounts with their friends than any amount of tag spam, fanart posting, posting 3x a day every day combination ever could have brought in.
>>
File: B0OeA8nCEAEO5CC.jpg (33KB, 599x399px) Image search: [Google]
B0OeA8nCEAEO5CC.jpg
33KB, 599x399px
>>2946216
>Write scripts, plan the most important plot-lines out, write everything continuously even if you're only posting a page a week. And if you can, work on a backlog long before actually posting the comic so you'll always have something to show.

Got any links that can help me with that?

>>2955126
>Try making a smaller project, IE a 10-page short story. When it's done it's done, if critics tear you a new asshole so be it, take their criticism and apply it to the next 10-pager. Develop your aesthetic, develop your workflow, get a feel for how to compose things, etc. Once you've found your sea legs, start working on more developed ones.

Cool, sounds like a plan.

>>2946807
Keep it up anon, you can do it.
>>
File: American-Splendor-2.jpg (396KB, 1100x1146px) Image search: [Google]
American-Splendor-2.jpg
396KB, 1100x1146px
>>2958291
I'm assuming you're not making some obscure fetish comic, in which case you would actually have reason to be nervous. If it's just a story informed by things in your life, you have nothing to worry about.

Look to Harvey Pekar for inspiration. Dude wrote about things with his friends, family, guy at the grocery store, etc. that were literally happening as he was making it. balls of steel rip
>>
>>2958313
>Dude wrote about things with his friends, family, guy at the grocery store, etc. that were literally happening as he was making it.

Ha wow, and I'm worried about people making connections about where I drew inspiration for events/characters from. This is exactly what I need. Thank you, anon.
>>
File: pg 1 .png (604KB, 1299x2067px) Image search: [Google]
pg 1 .png
604KB, 1299x2067px
its in the
>'only colored the skin so it looks like a cancer patient' phase
>>
File: 0763.png (435KB, 600x458px) Image search: [Google]
0763.png
435KB, 600x458px
I need to start a webcomic as soon as possible.

How long will it take to reach pic related quality if I draw 10 hours a day? I'm not dumb. (140 IQ) but I don't think that means much in art.
>>
>>2959503
It's not the time you put in that matters, it's what you practice and how well you understand it that determines improvement. Doing so many hours a day will give you diminishing returns. Without seeing your current art, its impossible to tell how long it will take your to reach Michelle Czajkowski's level.
Just start drawing, man. If you're mediocre-tier or less don't let that deter you from drawing your comic. My art wasn't great when I started my comic, but having to pump out two pages a week definitely helped my art improve a lot.
>>
>>2959503
people who say they have a high iq are usually people who take online tests and are actually below 100 and also autistic

also avas demon is pretty but its heavily stylized so try to practice your fundies and you'll eventually reach your own style
if drawing doesnt really come naturally to you its gonna take a long time
>>
>>2950024
Alfie
Thread posts: 111
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.