[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mark Crilley vs Sycra face off

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: hqdefault.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
I've been trying to figure out which artist is better. Their skills sets are pretty similar they can both transition from anime to realism and have good visual libraries.

INB4 quit comparing artists. I think comparing good artists is a good way to figure out what qualities really stand out to you which in turn will help give you a direction for improvement.

GO!
>>
Mark Crilley teaches you the ins and outs of the anime style even though he doesn't the best style at it, he's got the design all right.
>>
>>2941632
I'll give you guys an image to base your comparisons on. Obviously they produce outstanding work, but tell me /ic/ which one is the most gifted?
>>
>>2941640
You literally picked like the worse sycra drawing.
>>
File: 194327159063219.jpg (28KB, 548x350px) Image search: [Google]
194327159063219.jpg
28KB, 548x350px
>>2941641
is this one better? both of these were made recently, obviously if you wanted his better artwork you'd need to go back a few years but that doesn't work since this is comparing how good these artists are now, not before they started regressing
>>
>>2941643
Fair enough, out of curiosity at one point do you think sycra started regressing?
>>
File: 134534617341.png (1MB, 794x636px) Image search: [Google]
134534617341.png
1MB, 794x636px
>>2941650
When he started forcing a retarded style, all he does now is make mediocre portraits of people with pointy chins. In 2014 he had much more appealing work
>>
>>2941643
he has NO FUCKING TASTE at ALL
>>
>>2941658
Is he ever going to climb out of the 10th circle of hell that is pointy chins? I honestly don't know why he's sticking to this style unless it's a way to stick it to everyone calling it ugly if he ever manages to make it appealing (unlikely).
>>
File: secretary_sue_by_sycra-db0elk9.png (2MB, 1205x971px) Image search: [Google]
secretary_sue_by_sycra-db0elk9.png
2MB, 1205x971px
>>2941658
His work is actually better now. You just decided to choose a shitty image that was probably in his craps.

Also, in 2014 sycra was highly reliant on photo reference, now he only draws from imagination. His visual library has improved a great deal and his shape language has more oomph
>>
>>2941672
Is this supposed to be one of his "better" works?

thanks for proving my point
>>
>>2941674
That more recent drawing has more visual bounce and interest for me than the '14 collage all together does (admittedly though, the biggest difference between the two is concept art vs. visdev). But fuck, that pointy hair and ass is killing me. It's just two elements away from being great.
>>
>>2941682
>That more recent drawing has more visual bounce and interest for me

Fine, I'm not going to argue whether someone likes a piece of art or not but fundamentally his art has gone to shit.

In the picture you posted his perspective is non-existant, anatomy is shit even though it may be "stylized" it's still awful and has bad proportion.

The story of that piece doesn't make any sense either. She's a secretary working in what looks like a interrogation room with the computer in the middle of it and she's sitting on a stool? What secretary works on a fucking stool? I can't tell if she's gasping or she's angry at someone on the phone, I don't know whats happening on the computer screen, it looks like she's drawing a pointy chinned character which makes 0 sense for a secretary to do.
>>
>>2941702
great analysis kek
>>
>>2941672
>His work is actually better now
>posts chromatic aberrated hidden chins
>>
>>2941729
>hidden chins
show your chin XD
>>
>>2941640
Were you unironically trying to say that mark's image is better? If that's so then you honestly have shit taste.
>>2941643
>>2941658
You might not like his stylistic choices but sycra is undoubtably better
>>
>>2941702
Analysis done right & not wrong
>>
>>2942003
Why do you think Sycra is better?
>>
>>2941632
Well why don't we compare good artists then?
>>
>>2942033
He's simply more skilled technically.
Has a better grasp of shape language, anatomy, color theory, construction, perspective, composition
A lot of people dislike his style but objectively his rendered commercial works are leagues ahead of Mark's incredibly generic and drab western knock-off anime
>>
>>2942047
That being said, his art has fallen downhill since he's let his depression get the best of him
Stuff like his secretary piece is poorly executed due to lack of ambition.
Sycra's main problem is his lack of "appeal", which is caused by his stubborn habit of refusing to use what works and constantly trying to reinvent the wheel which results in art that looks off. But again these are simply stylistic vices, which arguably includes "soulless anime girl #948474"
>>
>>2942050
i think his main problem is being mediocre and the fact that he'll always be mediocre
>>
>>2942056
Yeah, a lot of hit and miss.
I havent been to his youtube in over a year but when i was listening to his podcast, he mentioned how art wasnt a big thing that he's dedicated his life to, it was just a coping mechanism from when he was put in a mental hospital. Something i can very, very, closely relate to. Luckily, I was into art since i was very young so fingers crossed
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.