[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is graphic design different from regular drawing? as in do I

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: 1486589541090.jpg (89KB, 499x283px) Image search: [Google]
1486589541090.jpg
89KB, 499x283px
Is graphic design different from regular drawing? as in do I have to learn a completely different set of skills?

I'm already pretty shit at just regular sketching, so I wanted to know.
>>
Is beatboxing completely different from regular singing?
>>
File: 1489033512067.png (445KB, 1049x554px) Image search: [Google]
1489033512067.png
445KB, 1049x554px
>>2939208
Y-Yes?
>>
>>2939205

Graphic design skills actually help with drawing. As name suggests, you are focusing on good practices and being anal about most minor shit like curvature of some letter - just kidding (not really) - graphic design puts emphasis on important stuff that beginner painters/artist rarely think about like good communication with audience, delivering clear message etc.

It helps you as a artist, but you need to learn very different stuff than what /ic/ preaches - which can be only good.
>>
>>2939214
Thanks dad.
>>
>>2939218

No problem, kid. Time for you to get your "daddy's milk" now, son - turn around.
>>
>>2939219
That was gay af and unfunny
>>
>>2939227
Welcome to /ic/
>>
>>2939205
You can learn everything you need to know about graphic design in about 12 hours it's an absolute joke trade in current year.
>>
>>2939246
Any recommendations?
>>
>>2939246
This.
t. "Graphic designer"

I charge 30 euros an hour for trash.
>>
>>2939246

Post work.
>>
File: Cornwell moonlight .jpg (477KB, 1600x1213px) Image search: [Google]
Cornwell moonlight .jpg
477KB, 1600x1213px
>>2939205
No, it's not.

My two favorite examples of graphic design painting is Dean Cornwell and Degas.
>>
>>2939804
I meant more of stuff like, web design, and game menu design and stuff.
>>
>>2939246
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Visual perception - Gestalt theory
Compositional knowledge - essentially good colour theory/ Josef albers type color perception and color correction
Problem solving skills - visually communicating complex ideas through very simple shapes.

Grids, grids, grids.

Taste.

etc, this is coming from someone who paints and draws, and comes from life drawing BG, i immensenly appreciate graphic design for its visual sophistication, theres a lot of decision making going on that concept artists/illustrators/figurate based artists could learn from.

:-))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
>>
>>2939874
post work.
>>
>>2939874
i was obviously excited writing this, disregard my bad spelling :(((
>>
File: 25.jpg (97KB, 500x911px) Image search: [Google]
25.jpg
97KB, 500x911px
>>2939874
:-)
Here you go
>>
>>2939804
you're insane
>>
>>2939875
see
>>2939879

Its not particularly good, but i think its fitting for the subject of discussion.
>>
>>2939246
edgy!

anyway OP,

i am a graphic designer and i am also really into painting and drawing. both skills benefit eachother a lot, but adeptness in one isnt equivalent to the other. I know a lot of great (even some famous) designers who are not good at drawing and a lot of amazing painters/drawers who have shitty design skills. theyre completely different arts. good design requires you to be very fluid with the computer and you have to think about composition and hierarchy and layering. the challenge of design is learning how to communicate visually. branding is a very challenging process. you really have to learn how to communicate visually really abstract ideas about the company and figure out how to give off the vibe you want while also keeping things cohesive. designing is visual organization which i love. its almost like cleaning up a messy room or organzing a shelf. desinging is about grids and learning typefaces and how to communicate somewthing with as little imformation as you possibly can. a good designer needs a really keen eye.
>>
>>2939896
Exactly my man.
>>
>>2939874
>>2939896
Man, this stuff sounds so cool.
>>
>>2939896
Do you mind linking some reference material? like places or books where i can start learning? it's for a video game project I was told my previous designs looked like utter shit.
>>
>>2939942
haha finsing things like thats a challenge. i went to school for it and learned stuff thru the teachers and the projects

the only two books i ever bought in school were:

Typographic Design: Form and Communication
look into that because it has a lot of foundational things in it that are interesting. things about grids and typefaces.

also

Graphic Design: A New History
get a pdf of this and just look thru for designers you like and then study them.

masterstudying is still a good technique for designers. find things you really really love and then try to recreate it exactly in photoshop. figure out the grid structure find the typefaces.

learn typefaces. start with helvetica and avenir and try to find them in the wild (hint: they are literally everywhere. it pisses me the fuck off) and then learn more typefaces and try to find them. its a fun game and i used to just walk around and constantly recognize every typeface.

watch the movie Helvetica! its a good documentary to learn some of the big names in design and then look into their stuff. people like Paula Scher, David Carson, and Stefan Sagmeister. learning design is all about immersion. were surrounded by it, but you gotta look for things that you think are good and then figure out why their good. figure out new approaches. figure out patterns. like what makes a magazine spread look like a magazine spread. things like that.

resources you'll need are just the Adobe Suite and a print. look for tutorials on youtube. Lynda.com has reallly good and indepth tutorials on everything. start doing lrojects. like, do you want to make a zine? get some zines and figure it out. want to make an album cover? do it. make a logo. colaborate with people. go to behance.net it has come good design on it.

thats all i got. if i think of more stuff. ill hit you up again.
>>
>>2939883
If you cannot see how their paintings have similar properties to graphical elements then you don't know fuck all about painting.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.