[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good pens for drawing

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_20170411_061516.jpg (125KB, 665x649px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170411_061516.jpg
125KB, 665x649px
What are some good pens for drawing
>>
>>2936785
Ink pens
>>
>>2936785
black pens
>>
>>2936813
Any specific type, or are any good enough?
>>
>>2936831
Good enough for what?
>>
>>2936785
Blue pens
>>
pens that write
>>
Penis
>>
>>2937449
Pens that fight.
>>
microns my man
>>
i have one that fits in my hand
>>
>>2936785
>falling for the pen meme
We have fingers for a reason
>>
Do you have any preferences, OP? What do you normally draw with? What kind of paper do you draw on? Are you looking for general recommendations? What kind of stuff are you looking to do?

Could you be a bit more specific?
>>
>>2936785
Microns help
>>
>>2936785
the only thing you really have to worry about with pens is that they don't put out more ink than the paper you're using can handle. you don't really need to worry about brand or anything. some fun ones to try and brush pens, where the tip is like a little brush, and of course a quill type nib whereby you can make hard sharp lines. both of those require heavier paper though,generally.
>>
>>2936785
>Not drawing with crayons.
This fucking pleb.
>>
>>2941883
>not drawing with your blood
this fucking doof
>>
>>2936785
It doesn't really matter.

There's plenty of fucking incredible art done on post its with bic round stics.

If it writes and doesn't splotch or randomly cut out, like any decent pen, then you can draw with it.
>>
I use a 0.5 mm Faber Castell India Ink pen and I draw on Strathmore 400 series drawing paper.

It took a while to find the combination I like. But it's pretty much perfect for me.

>my dino with said products
>>
>>2942961
BTW for this pen size I draw at 11x14 up to 14x17 preferably.

Canvas size relative to pen size definitely make a difference for me
>>
>>2942961
I had a pack of four of these that had been sitting still for four year and they still work fine, haven't dried out.
Also, you can pull out the nib and reverse it to have a fresh tip and you coulld also refill them if you pull of the back cap with some pliers and put a few drips of india ink in there.

that definitely made the price less daunting to me.
>>
I'm no pen nerd but right now I'm using the Pilot V5 HI-TECPOINT 0.5 and it just works.
>>
>>2936785
You can go to jetpens.com and see their selection and look for something you like (you don't have to buy there if you don't want to). they even have sampler bundles.
>>
>>2940319
this. Micron for life.

when I restock if there is no microns left, I just get staedtler pens too, which are pretty much the same...
>>
>>2936785
I use faber castell pitt artist pens
I like that the ink is quite black
With staedtler/micron pigment liners, the ink is greyish
>>
>>2936785
I like the ones you use with your hands
>>
>>2936785
I just started using a pentel fountain pen. It's actually pretty hard to use since I'm used to using ballpoint pens or plain old pencils. It's pretty helpful tho since I have to minimize the Number of lines I use, can't scribble around and have to simplify shapes more. Also the fancy pointy nib is fun to draw with. Would recommend.
>>
File: 438095094_e9ef8e77f4_o.jpg (94KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
438095094_e9ef8e77f4_o.jpg
94KB, 1000x667px
>>2936785
Literally anything man. All technical pens do the same thing, they make lines of a certain thickness. Ballpoint is fine too. If you like Sharpie use Shapie. Don't get hung up on what's "archival", there are iron gall ink documents from hunnerds of years ago that are still smiling.

Me personally, these days I'm all about that medium Platinum Preppy with a bottle of Noodler's ink to refill.

Pros
>basically two technical pens in one. Turning the nib over and writing on the back side gets a nice thin line and using it normally for a normal line. You will not need to worry about line thickness varying, the nib is super stiff stel.
>nib does not wear out or degrade over time. I fucking hate having to replace microns and the like again and again
>I know when it's time to replace the ink, I can see into the pen after all.
>I like the tiny blots of ink at the ends of the lines they make. It's a tiny touch but it gives character.

Cons
>A little temperamental, might need to flick it hear and there to get it to start
>Ink dries quickly but not instantly
>Scratchy feeling on the paper
>Not good for putting down a lot of ink. Usually use a Micron 08 if there's a need for a really thick line or a lot of black scribbling.

Fountain pens are really under rated on /ic/. Buying a 6 pack of microns you'll tear through in a month is silly, buy a $4 pen that will treat you well for years instead.
>>
>>2936785
Whatever you do don't fall for the Microns meme I bought a pack of 8 and they have all fucking dried out in a month.
>>
Pilot g2. Godlike pen, a single one takes 2-3 months of heavy use to dry out, line width is consistent, and they're crazy cheap for how long they last.
>>
>>2936785
Microns are great but the nibs wear down quick in my experience. Right now I'm looking at a lamy fountain pen but those run into the 30$ range
>>
>>2944723
Microns are disposable. They really aren't meant to last much longer under heavy use.
>>
>>2945141
Bic pens are also disposable, but they stop working when the ink runs out not when the tip gets worn down.

It is asinine having a pen tip that is so soft that you still have a whole ink cartridge left in the pen when you get down to it. Take it out an put it in another pen, sure, but you may as well buy into Copic's line of of technical pens and just replace the nibs instead.
>>
>>2944640
Nvm. Fuck. This shot died in like 3 days of drawing.
>>
File: IMG_9460.jpg (507KB, 1600x585px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9460.jpg
507KB, 1600x585px
>>2946561
Fountain pen ink runs out fast, but a bottle will last for several months at the very least. Get a converter and refill, don't waste your money on cartridges.
>>
>>2946605
I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion anon!
>>
>>2946605
i too like the variety of fountain pens. mine came with some cartridges but i just refill them with a syringe and any kind of fountain pen ink,. if you wanna try one out i can recommend the pilot metropolitan. not a lot of line width change with it but if you flip the nib over as i saw someone else mention for another pen it gets a really thin line.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.