[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Automation in the artistic field.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: CyberdyneT800-580x358.jpg (217KB, 580x358px) Image search: [Google]
CyberdyneT800-580x358.jpg
217KB, 580x358px
What is /ic's thoughts on the future of automated arts, specifically in the movie industry, such as animations?

Many sites and studies suggest that the artistic fields are incredibly unlikely to be replaced (around 0.3 - 3% within next 20 years), but with the advancements of certain programs and fields (Adobe Character animator), automation and deep AI learning seems like an ever looming threat above an animators head.

Discuss fears, questions, concerns, or maybe just try to make each other feel better.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/05/21/408234543/will-your-job-be-done-by-a-machine
https://www.replacedbyrobot.info/
>>
nope, not for hundreds of years
>>
File: Screenshot_672.png (59KB, 799x631px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_672.png
59KB, 799x631px
Nah, I don't see art automation happening soon.
>>
>>2936060
Odds are it'll never happen, and even if it does, it'll be very limited and only help speed up the process.
Either way -
I WELCOME OUR QT ANDROID ASSISTANTS
>>
>automation and deep AI learning seems like an ever looming threat above an animators head.
We can't even get Mocap to be 100% automated yet. There's still a lot of human gruntwork that goes into cleaning it up.
AI replacing animators specifically won't happen in our lifetime. It will happen, but everyone alive right now will probably have died by then of old age.
>>
>>2936093
or from a robotic apocalypse.
>>
robots will never be able to replicate or even surpass a human artist's creativity unless you create something on the level of Skynet

and even that was limited in its thinking
>>
I think art will skyrocket when some kind of "ultimate tool" will be created, since art would be all about design principles and human perception. Maybe everything we know now about composition, form language, mood, lighting, etc. would be viewed as extremely primitive in the future
>>
>>2936060

If automation ever truly threatens the career options for artists, it's gonna be many years from now. As in, over half a century and that's being VERY generous.

The most powerful supercomputers in the world can't even simulate more than a second of human brain activity and the amount of power needed to allow a neural network to become human-like would be off the charts.

How on earth could ANY company afford something like that?
>>
>>2936060
It's not a question of if but when. It'll definitely happen, but judging by how we're progressing now it most likely will not be within the next half a century. After that, no human can really predict the technological leaps we may make, but by that point we'll all be old men that have lived through our time.
>>
File: 0c0d1fbdeb6595b96455ec7b31461f03.jpg (152KB, 1600x882px) Image search: [Google]
0c0d1fbdeb6595b96455ec7b31461f03.jpg
152KB, 1600x882px
I am currently sitting in the afterglow of watching American Beauty for the first time. Pretty amazing experience.

I feel grateful. I feel above the person I was today. The person I was all winter. I feel regretful. I feel hope for the future. I feel like i want to get right with the world. I feel like I could laugh at things. I feel like nothing matters but in a jar is half full kind of way. I feel like I’ve missed out on life. Like I'm missing out on love.

But I don't see why a learning algorithm couldnt figure out how to mix video and audio into a similar experience. Given enough time/info. Imagine when EVERY movie is good enough to win EVERY Academy Award.
>>
>>2936170
that thought is incredibly frightening to me. Once we automate every job in existence, including the arts, humans will be useless. A waste of resources. The smartest move would be to destroy us, for the betterment of humanity. The future we work towards every day is a future where we do not exist.
>>
>>2936187
Not existing isn't so bad. There is nothing we can do except what we have always done. What we will do anyways. To allow this universe to do what it does best: pit chaos vs order.
>>
>>2936188
Yea i guess, I was dead for 13.8 billion years before I was born. That wasn't so bad. What's another 13.8 billion eh?
>>
Eh we already have a printer
>>
>>2936187
Destroying us would be the exact opposite of benefiting humanity
>>
Every other job is getting automated way before art.
>>
IT student here : not gonna happen in our lifetime, 90% sure.
This field is too reative & vague.
Basic artists who only draw big eyed anime characters should definitely fear it first, though. Any style that is easy to replicate,in fact...
>>
Only creatively bankrupt """artists""" would feel threatened by automation though, in the end it mostly will only help with technical process (unless they start making AI that can design stuffs too)

but when we reach that point, humanity might as well just go extinct
>>
>camera
>>
Website says that purchasing agents have an 88% chance of being automated. I don't understand this. 80% of my job is negotiations and coming up with solutions to people's problems. How could you automate that? (the other 20% that's data entry, sure)
>>
>>2936470
this, robots aren't going to be shitting out mangas any time soon. and half assed cartoons that take a lot of shortcuts always look worse than ones that have tons of creative talent behind them.
>>
File: 1489822458140.png (126KB, 309x313px) Image search: [Google]
1489822458140.png
126KB, 309x313px
Fuck you Google
Look what they just released.

https://www.autodraw.com/

FUCK
>>
>>2937556
aye aye aye, I read replies to this kind of thread, feel relieved, and then see shit like this. This is the kind of garbage that makes me make these threads. LOOK AT THE PROGRESS BEING MADE FUCK YOU GOOGLE
>>
>>2938900
>>2937556
You do realise Google first asked HUMANs to draw an object, then got the AI to try and guess what it was. Afterwards Google just reversed the process...

Only humans know what humans find symbolically relevant / creatively pleasing

If a robot was to know this instinctively, they would be closer to humans than a machine
>>
>>2938900
cont.. but to be fair, it's nothing revolutionary, unless this is some incredibly complex AI in its baby stage, this is the kind of thing that even an amateur in the field could pull off.
>>
>>2938916
>Afterwards Google just reversed the process...

Actually im wrong, they went from retrieving rough human drawings by text description (draw a "dog")

After collating the data, the AI can match rough drawings with a description which in turn has a refined symbol

Sketch -> text -> symbol
>>
>>2936060
What will people do with automated art, though?
Are people willing to pay exorbitant amounts of money for something mass-produced that was likely done in milliseconds without any effort?
Maybe it will flourish in the entertainment industry if AI ever reaches that level but I doubt it will ever mimic the valuable connection to a living, breathing human being.
>>
>>2937254
>robots negotiating with other robots and coming up with solutions to other robot's problems
wew lad
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.