[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Art Schools Thread

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10

File: 1484066898499.jpg (1MB, 1822x2751px) Image search: [Google]
1484066898499.jpg
1MB, 1822x2751px
Let's discuss art schools and art education. I'll start asking you advice.

I live in Italy (in the north) and I want to attend a school or some art program. My aim is to become a concept artist, maybe drawing comics and shit like that, so mainly I'll need to learn how to draw from imagination and have a good grasp of the fundamentals. What do you suggest? A fine arts school (even if they say it's not very good) or maybe should I look for some private online tutor? it will be hard to find tho.

Anyway discuss your experience and what you guys think might be the best option
>>
Schools are shit but necessary in Europe.
I'll argue later when I will have my PC.
>>
Go to an atelier. You live in freaking Italy, the mekka of art education. If you can afford it all go attend the Angel academy of art in Florence. Hell, there are several ateliers in Florence.
>>
>>2935695
There's good schools there for sure, but OP should be aware that they aren't really in line with becoming a concept artist or a comic artist. OP would need to essentially self teach entire other skillsets since there would be limited crossover.
>>
>>2935695
Yeah the problem is that I can't afford to travel too far from home. My best bet would be Milan, but even if it has a fairly well known fine arts school everyone says that nowadays is quite shitty, with professors not giving a shit and the structure being a shithole.

There is actually a good school of design: interior, fashion, industrial etc. but it's hard to get in and I don't know how much would that help me. What do you think?

>>2935721
You are right but I'd be good even with just some good school in my area that would teach me how to draw and paint, then I can work out some shit for myself I guess.
>>
>>2935695
>have art all around you can draw from
>spend time instead in a render grind atelier.

You could develop real skills if you spend the time you would have in that atelier to draw from sculpture, paintings, buildings and maybe even drawings. And for less. Besides OP wants to be a concept artist and is in the north as well.

Do as many quick sketches from sculptures and imagination as you can, filling up pages with drawings and notes. Don't spend weeks on a single render.
>>
>>2935550
>Angel academy
Two issues though: I think John Angel expects you to be financially well-off, and he also expects you to commit a lot. They have a tiered structure depending on whether you're good or if you're fooling around and are NGMI.
>>
File: 7_12_Cvr1_academy_ph1.jpg (290KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
7_12_Cvr1_academy_ph1.jpg
290KB, 1000x700px
I graduated from Academy of art University in December 2016 with a bachelor in fine arts majoring in Visual development.

Ask me anything.
>>
>>2935783

Wow, seriously? How does that tier system work?
>>
>>2935812
Are you supporting yourself entirely off of art? How many of your classmates are?
>>
>>2935812
How was the babysitting there?
>>
File: 1484030732172.jpg (4MB, 2855x2088px) Image search: [Google]
1484030732172.jpg
4MB, 2855x2088px
>>2935812
Nice thanks.

Did it help you and in which way?
Do you have problems drawing from imagination?
What were the main lessons? What method di they teach you?
What are you going to do now?
Assuming it helped you, what would you suggest looking for when applying for an art school?
>>
>>2935780

>Implying you can't do both

Also at an atelier you will have access to life models and actual instruction and critique which is equally important as studying masters is.
>>
>>2935815
>Wow, seriously? How does that tier system work?
I'm clueless on the details other than you're grouped into GMI or NGMI based on your initiative roll.

It's possible this may have changed over the years.
>>
>>2935825

You can do each at separate times which I never said you can't.. But my point is you can't be drawing sculptures outside WHILE you're stuck in that render grind studio. Any time spent in a studio is better spent drawing outside.

drawing outside+drawing outside>drawing outside+drawing in atelier

The critiques in angel academy is mostly how to measure and render. It produces realistically good results but also develops some bad habits.
>>
>>2935780
>You could develop real skills if you spend the time you would have in that atelier to draw from sculpture, paintings, buildings and maybe even drawings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsiP2pUT2qQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUd1J4wMijQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijzxRfR5odI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCKBC6iJWws
>>
>>2935812
Did you pay over 200k?
>>
>>2935837
>develops some bad habits.
what sort of bad habits famalam
>>
>>2935550
I don't really get that you have any passion for art. It sounds like you picked concept artist, because it sounds "cool" to do. Same for cartooning. It's not just something anyone can walk in and do - concept artist positions are extremely highly sought after and the competition for them is insane, you'd be submitting a portfolio with some of the best artists out there. Is art really your passion? It better be, or the real artists will leave you behind in the dust, and you'd be wasting your time and the teacher's.

Any artist should start out with the fundamentals - color, form, lighting, perspective, composition, concept. A general studio discipline degree will give you that - and then it's up to you to translate that into the digital space, and be able to work efficiently and effectively on computers with Wacom tablets, or Cintiq displays.

Atelier's are not for you. They are for the most passionate painters, who want to study under a master, under extremely rigorous conditions (not to mention cost). You don't even know what you want to do - you'd be wasting time at one.

Going by some of the questions you're asking, it doesn't seem like you have any passion for art. You need that, you really do. Art is all about commitment and putting the hours in (years, really), to master technique and to train your mind to be creative. Some people don't make the cut, and they really want it. Where do you fit in?

Any training as an artist starts out the same - pick up a pencil, and draw what you see. It should be an obsession for you. When I was 17 and looking at art schools, I wanted to try all of it. I spent all of my time drawing and painting already, and looked forward to college, where I could do it more. I majored in illustration, because I wanted to make money, but I took all the studio courses I could along the way.
>>
>>2935819
among my closest friends of 9 in school that i had classes with, 4 of us (including me) have jobs in the industry and are supporting ourselves.
the rest of my friends have not graduated yet or aren't good enough to get a job.

>>2935823
What.

>>2935824
yes is helped me immensely, it was through a teacher at the school i got my current job.
i don't have any problems drawing from imagination, we had loads of assignment where we had to design from imagination.
the lessons in the visual development program covers basically everything. fundamentals like perspective, colors, value, design, basically everything we need to become well rounded artists. there's about 2 years of lessons like these were we have to use traditional mediums like charcoal and paint, and then 2-3 years of our own chosen classes where we use photoshop to paint.
I work at a mobile game company now (been doing it for a year) and I'm gonna quit that soon because it's sucking out my souls and creativity.

>>2935847
no.
>>
File: sheridan student.jpg (129KB, 960x638px) Image search: [Google]
sheridan student.jpg
129KB, 960x638px
I'm deciding between these 3 art schools. They aren't great but they are the best I can do for my location:

Humber College:
https://mediastudies.humber.ca/programs/by-type/diploma/visual-and-digital-arts.html

Sheridan College:
https://academics.sheridancollege.ca/programs/bachelor-of-illustration
https://academics.sheridancollege.ca/programs/bachelor-of-animation

OCAD U:
http://www.ocadu.ca/academics/undergraduate/drawing-and-painting.htm
http://www.ocadu.ca/academics/undergraduate/digital-painting-and-expanded-animation.htm

The first college is a shitty one, I'm only considering it because the 2 year program MIGHT count towards an h1b work visa, which I need. Probably not though.

The 2nd one is Sheridan, which has a good animation program but I am unfortunately not too interested in animation, and prefer painting. OCAD is a fine art institute which I don't like, so I will run into political art bullshit and creativity over substance, if you know what I mean.

Sheridan is an applied/representational art shool, and is my #1 option. Which one would you go to if you had the choice?
>>
>>2935906
Haven't heard anything about Humber so I can't say anything about it.

I went to Sheridan for Illustration a few years ago and found the program garbage and dropped out after a year. They don't focus that much on skills and if you look at the graduating people you get a sense of what they do--bad scientific illustration or "muh style" hoping to break into editorial. It really felt like the program was riding on a dead reputation and that most of the efforts and money for the school was being put into animation instead and illustration suffered as a result.

OCAD I've only heard bad things about, and honestly in my class at Sheridan there were multiple people who had tried OCAD and found it so bad they left and came to Sheridan instead.

Honestly you are better off teaching yourself or finding a private tutor or class with someone who is actually good. Toronto has various options for this if you look and ask around a bit.
>>
>>2935914

I need the degree so I can work in the states. Canada is garbage for what I want to do.

I'm not hinging my education on any of these schools, there's much better online teachers, I know that. Plus, the ateliers near me are WAYYYY better than any actual art college.

I'm a bit bummed out that you found the Illustration program at Sheridan garbage. I was hoping it was at least okay.
>>
>>2935550
>My aim is to become a concept artist, maybe drawing comics and shit like tha-

Stopped reading there
>>
>>2935848
An over-reliance to the model, slow method of drawing and a style that is completely without spirit. Not that I mean they should rather be bravura painters. There are many painters of the past who painted smoothly yet still show a vigour of genius in their works, in all the works' stages. They draw more realistically than most masters of the past, but where is the poetry?
>>
>>2935874
Zynga looked fun though
>>
>>2936072
It's not.
>>
>>2935852
> You need passion to become X

I got myself a PhD despite fucking hating it. I was never passionate about it. When I was applying for college I told myself "I'll become a chemist because why not." If I can get a PhD despite not being "passionate" about the subject, OP can become an artist.
>>
>>2935852
Really, how did you assume all that shit by my simple question about which art school would be better?

Ok, this is it, I really like digital art, enviroments and characters, my dream would also be to make comics, for both I need to be able to draw from imagination, so all I want is a somewhat decent schoold that would at least help me achieve that. Of course, I can figure some shit myself, like using photoshop and the switch to digital isn't that hard.

Here is the real problem, I don't have an high income, I can't go abroad I have to choose something in Italy and something that doesn't cost a fuckton. I also want it to not be a waste of time and money. I'm quite at a turning point in my life, my parent aren't rich enough so I can't afford to fuck up and change schools every year
>>
>>2936534
Try florence atelier, take a look at it, look it up etc. I am going to a different one ( not in italy ) but know friends who have done a few summer courses at florence. Most ateliers are worth going to and worth taking a loan for. Check Art Renewal center, there is info on good ateliers.
>>
File: kim jung gi6.jpg (17KB, 202x241px) Image search: [Google]
kim jung gi6.jpg
17KB, 202x241px
Hello OP. I think you would be better off taking Eurobro's opinion instead of canadians/americans as the college system might be very different.

I'm from Portugal and find myself in the same situation. Except I already have a college in sight(my dilemma would be to go or not to go).
It's a private illustration/comics degree but it becomes rather affordable with state scholarship.(guessing you also have that option)

>>2935690
anon made a great point.
disregard the actual degree. if you ever wish to work overseas,having a diploma will make it so much easier to get a visa.

I have some design and fine art university's in my town but to be honest they are filled with unpassionate and pretentious idiots.At least here i know that to be the case.

I've heard that the teachers might not be the greatest at the college I want to go to,but I also realize I will learn from students too, and the social aspect is of some importance.
Imo you can't go into any university and expecting to come out of there drawing like Kim jung gi just and if that's not the case, end up blaming the teachers or the university.

our style and skill is something we must pursue ourselves
>>
>>2935852
>implying 95%of the people going to art schools are passionate about art
>>
>>2936495
>because why not
What a cuck you are
Jesus Christ
Get some fucking meaning into your fucking life loser
>>
>>2936602
>Making 400k a year to fuck around in a lab and develop cough medicine that's all basically the same shit
>Big Pharma is treating me well
>I can retire in 10 years
Woe is me, my life is MEANINGless. What is life without MEANING. After all, it is *impossible* to have a good life without MEANING.

Because everything in life needs to be planned out (MEANING), nothing ever happens just because; you're not living a good life because you never put MEANING into it. Everything in this world has MEANING.
>>
>>2937392
>I can get get divorce raped in 10 years

fix'd
>>
>>2937768
>Not married
>Somehow will get divorce raped
>>
>>2936495
>>2936602
>>2937392
>>2937768
we in /ic/ niggas. Stfu
>>
>>2935743
dai un occhio al sito dell'accademia carrara di bergamo che a differenza di brera non fa schifo al cazzo

http://www.accademiabellearti.bg.it/
>>
>>2935925
>I need the degree so I can work in the states
You can get the work visa without a degree if you have work experience in lieu. I forget the actual number so you will need to check, but I think it is around 3 or 4 years of working in the field, and they seem to count freelance stuff.

Source: A few years ago I nearly got a job in the US but their legal team couldn't get me the visa since I was short like a year of experience at the time and didn't have a degree.
>>
File: 4.jpg (49KB, 404x688px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
49KB, 404x688px
>Just a reminder to you anons, for I have been down your path and searched for the same courses.

Don't do an atelier unless you are loaded. They are soul crushingly repetitive, usually set up by a bog standard graduate of one of the ateliers who rightly sees that anyone can run one if they market it as "bringing back real art". Most of the teaching is simple Bargue plate exercises and sight measuring, which any 10 year old could work out how to do.
Teaching you to paint is useful, as is having a nice studio, but these things can be achieved through short courses, not a £9000+ per year 3 year course.

If you are a Britbong, I reccomend you take a university course purely because you'll get a loan of £9000 you'll probably never repay to the govn't, so it's 3 years of payed vacation time, good study trips, fun clubs, social accommodation and most art courses will have life drawing at the very least, so they are definitely a worthwhile option for anyone who plans to grind fundamentals and tentatively establish themselves as a freelancer.

At the end of the day, nothing beats working through your own studies and exercises by yourself. Post your work online to be critiqued, hell, use /ic/ for honest and fairly erudite advice. Attend local life drawing sessions and get advice from the tutor running it. Set up your own still lifes, do Bargues.

If you need the social scenario, then go to an atelier. If you can get a good European student loan, go to uni for 3 years for any creative course. But don't be taken in by the marketing that the ARC and its affiliates use, there's no reason someone overseeing you doing some simple life drawing and cast studies should ask for €15000 like the Florence Academy, which trades solely on its fancy name and location, which Americans lap up.

Be wary brethren. Try to look past the shiny life drawings they put on their website, and think about the career you actually want after those 3 years, and the 30,000+ in debt you'll end up with.
>>
>>2940446
>>2940446

Honestly, regular art schools in Europe are fucking shit that won't even have you draw or paint most of the time. You are painting a way too positive picture of them.
>>
>>2937392
smartest guy on this board
>>
File: clint_3365862b.jpg (58KB, 620x445px) Image search: [Google]
clint_3365862b.jpg
58KB, 620x445px
>>2940455
You missed my point

d/ic/ks need to grind to get good. They need a safe place to coccoon and grow their skills, and it's often very hard to earn any kind of living from this way of life, but it pays off once you acquire skill and a good world view.

What I'm saying is that if you can get a very good loan from the government (in the UK ~50% of students never even bother to repay it because you don't have to if you're earning under a certain wage, and if you do it's like 1-2% of your monthly profit repayed to the government for the loan).

So, it doesn't matter if you're attending a school for the blind to learn how to do potato printing. You can still make friends, have a place to live and eat, get feedback from life drawing tutors (all arts unis have these, stfu), and seek careers advice counselling to hook you up with sweet comissions, exhibitions and networking.

So, advice still stands. Go to any art uni (entry requirement is a joke often)
>Get huge cheap/free loan from government
>sign up to any art university in a nice city
>Go to one or two lessons a week
>Meanwhile get a real job, grind fundamentals
>fuck around with student friends, go on study trips
>???
>profit

You'll have a degree (i.e. something to put on your CV for that starbucks managerial position), 3 years of free money, a place to live, friends, great clubs, great facilities, life drawing, loads of free time to grind, and your parents will be mildly proud of you.

I'm telling you bros, tap into the art uni life.
>>
>>2940455
So if you don't draw or paint, what do you do?
>>
>>2941316
I sort of agree with this anon. I'm not even going to a particularly good school (essentially a community college), but they got me on an art grant so I'm essentially being paid to go to school and I still have a lot of time and resources to study on my own time.
>>
>>2941325
How did you get an art grant?
>>
>>2941327
My prof just recommended me to the director in charge of the grant. I guess my work eligible for it, and I gave off the impression I was hardworking and responsible (lel).

I don't know how other schools or institutions hand their grants out, so I'm (most likely) lucky I was offered one.

I think my situation might be different though because this thread seems largely targeted towards Europeans, who generally have more subsidized tuitions, while American unis like to cuck students, so I don't want to mislead any American students into thinking tuition for even community college is fully covered or something.
>>
OP, I would say go to any art program that's cheap and close to you. You'll be able to find people interested in your field (networking.)
From my point of view, if you can learn something, go for it. You're trying to better yourself over there. Even if you think you won't be able to get in there because you're not good enough, you should still try; if you get rejected, you'll know for certain if you aren't good enough.
>>
File: 1489594517184.jpg (15KB, 500x263px) Image search: [Google]
1489594517184.jpg
15KB, 500x263px
Anyone here going to digipen? I like checking the 8ch board and seeing the crying and mental breakdowns, idk why it's so bad when FZD students do in 12 weeks what a digipen student won't in 4 years
>>
>>2935550>>2935906

I studied Illustration at OCADU for one year (only because I got a full scholarship, would never pay for that.)
Don't do it. Only thing I liked were the life drawing classes. A lot of the Illustration instructors are garbage with shit taste and bad critiques, most classes just made me feel like not drawing ever again. I had really superior skill compared to some of my classmates that would get much better critiques from the instructors (not saying that I'm actually good, just that the other student's work was complete shit and mine was passable)
>>
>>2941507
>one year
>means he was with a bunch of beginners
You're dumb as fuck man
>>
>>2941536
I was at third year actually, got a full scholarship because of an exchange program
>>
>>2940446

Agreed with most of this although the ARC prices tend to fluctuate with regards to whether you're a full time or a part time student. Not all of them have part-time options sadly. And it's funny because most part-time students are adults who are working a full-time job and can afford the full-time cost, but not vice versa.

>They are soul crushingly repetitive, usually set up by a bog standard graduate of one of the ateliers who rightly sees that anyone can run one if they market it as "bringing back real art". Most of the teaching is simple Bargue plate exercises and sight measuring, which any 10 year old could work out how to do.

Don't know if I can agree with this on several points.

Ateliers are terrible at marketing. Most people entering the entertainment industry via art training are completely fucking unaware they exist. Motherfucking Art Institute. Those assholes ought to burn down.

I wouldn't be so quick to call the teachers at these places "bog standard" either. You're still in a place of some pretty fucking impressive work, and you won't see that level of attention and effort in a lot of schools. Learn as much as you can.
>>
File: alf_eating_his_cat.jpg (57KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
alf_eating_his_cat.jpg
57KB, 480x640px
First semester in art school: People are terrible at art

They don't know the basics and draw tumblr crap for projects. My favorite is this one girl during the month-long project. She missed a handful of studio classes and spent a day studying what to make. Then for crit, she barfed out candle labels with designs she made in mspaint. She....made them with the line tool.......and mirrored them. THis would take me literally 20 minutes to make 5 without mirroring. Here I am having spent 60 hours on my posters and she gets like 20-30 minutes of people praising it.

Kill me...
>>
>>2942447
You know how I know you're not going to make it? Because of your ego.
>>
>>2942450
You got it. Nailed me down perfectly.
>>
File: 1492051838181.jpg (284KB, 534x700px) Image search: [Google]
1492051838181.jpg
284KB, 534x700px
AVOID ANY COURSE THAT SAYS "WE TEACH YOU HOW TO DRAW, NO PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE/ANY LEVEL MAY APPLY"

Bitch it takes years upon years to even understand the basics of drawings, let alone develop your hand/brain connection and sense of aesthetics.

If you've ever drawn in your life and want to make it GO TO A SCHOOL THAT REQUIRES A PORTFOLIO EXAMINATION AND SKILLS IN DRAWING TO ENTER or you WILL be surrounded by ignorant, half assed plebs alongside the beginners who genuinely want to work, who will be the minority and you will want to suicide yourself

Trust me d/ic/ks, have some standards.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.