[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Scott Robertson's how to draw?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 411BIsY35ZL._UX250_.jpg (15KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
411BIsY35ZL._UX250_.jpg
15KB, 250x250px
First, how advanced is this book? Some say it's beginner friendly and others say it's for intermediates.

I was thinking of starting with perspective made easy/Marshall Vandruff lectures before delving into scott robertson? Do you guys think that would be sufficient?

Also how do you guys compare erik olson lectures to scotts book? Do they both pretty much cover as much information?
>>
Forget drawing son, take 500 dollar, go to a slavic prostitute and hug her for 30 minutes cry on her chest and return home, the female gender is to powerful for us, the females are even physically superior to us, just suicide son and think about a bimbo girl before your last seconds
>>
>>2935372
I think there's a pdf of it you can find in the art book thread if you want to check it out. In my opinion it's not good for beginners just on the basis it's quite technical and dry and I think would discourage people from drawing or would give an incorrect impression of how most people draw. It teaches a very niche approach that is mostly only used by industrial designers and maybe a select few concept artists who specialize in vehicles, though nowadays a lot just use 3d instead.
>>
>>2935372
Yeah, Perspective Made Easy is a good place to start. How to Draw expands on that same material and gets more in-depth and technical.
>>
I've been using it for about two months now. Dude's method will make you do a bit of mental geometry, but I think it's pretty worth it to read from the book, do the exercises. Like anon mentioned above me, it's suuuuper dry, but the biggest selling point I believe for his teaching is being able to have a foundation of theory to be able to construct from imagination, which is what this board wants you to have anyway.

As far as the type of stuff you'll be doing in the book, you'll be doing bugs and cars and shit, not so much figures or gesture, so bare that in mind. But you'll start thinjking in 3D real quick when you go through it more and more.

Visit the artbook thread, it's like one of the first few links. Also, find his lectures and YouTube videos, dude's pretty solid at teaching what he's done in How to Draw and How to Render.
>>
>>2935372

I'd say it depends on what level of skill you are starting from.
And even if you're fresh off the bat, we're all different and will have a more or less incorrect way of thinking about perspective.

That said, I started "seriously" with Scott Robertson's book and then moved on to Erik Olsen videos. Only ever read "Perspective Made Easy" before.

Scott Robertson was great for my progress and great as a book. If you're not afraid to read slowly and really ponder about rules of perspective and also like to try the concepts as you read along, then Robertson is for you. He dissects outlines of 3D-shapes into 2D-points; there are a lot of dots and parallell lines. His method helped me to understand and implement the concept of "drawing through" as well as why organic shapes behave in certain ways in regard to perspective, which later translated to me being able to drawing complex shapes with less support drawings. Robertson is very conceptual. I skipped the parts where he autistically talks about the grids and digital tools and whatnot. His exercises are hard to grasp at first and I got a feeling that the text should be reworked to communicate exactly what he wants a bit better. But overall, it's a very solid piece of book I probably can come back to anytime when in doubt and find an answer.

I lost patience with Olsen mostly because the videos forced me to force myself to learn something I already understood and could draw. Also, I'm always limited on time and I noticed my creativity deteriorated the more I tried to powergame through Olsen's lectures. I simply wanted them done and move on.

Try both. You'll notice what sticks, what is too much, and what is relevant for your progress. Different for everyone.
>>
File: falling-down-003[1].jpg (43KB, 430x325px) Image search: [Google]
falling-down-003[1].jpg
43KB, 430x325px
>>2935372

If you have the mental capacity to understand Euclidean geometry then perspective should come easy enough. All you're doing is breaking 3d objects into smaller, easier parts to draw and organizing them in a way that makes sense based on what direction you look at it. While his book will show you how to break down many things, you must understand what you're doing and you MUST do it a lot. There are dozens of books on how to draw in perspective and they are all basically the same. It is the repetition and memorization of divisions and subdivisions of shapes that will speed up your perspective drawings, but it's still a lot of work. This will also build up your penmanship, which is a necessity in itself. He makes these points in his book though so props for that. Also enlightened me on some methods of division I had never considered to reduce the amount of lines put on paper.

TL;DR: You don't need it, but if you have nothing then it's all you need.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.