[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does my art lack appeal?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

http://ambiguityart.deviantart.com/

I have a strong understanding of my fundamentals but despite that I always lacked appeal. I've talked to my friends about this but I think they are just being nice when they tell me they like my work. I want to hear the opinion of anonymous folks.
>>
How do we know this is actually you? Can you provide some proof?
>>
>>2934771
This, before I say anything, I have to know if this is a bait thread.
>>
11 Years, 27k pageviews.

http://ambiguityart.deviantart.com/gallery/60556350/Sketch-Pages

With just this page alone you've gotten ahead of a lot of others on here. Most people can't even finish a work. I've seen your paintings and damn, you've got some talent. What program do you use?

Do you consistently upload at all? You have an 11 yr account but only 100 or so submissions.
>>
I'm not good enough to critique your fundamentals but the only work I found interesting is your hindsight study.

The rest just looks like studies of korean girls on plain/generic backgrounds. Not much in the way of composition or design.

Such common/plain subject matter can do well if your style is unique, has a strong theme or is really technically impressive (photorealism).
>>
>>2934763
>strong
>>
ur shit so borin men, its wat happens when u do too many studies and dont flex ur imagination enough
>>
>>2934763
The artwork is too inconsistent on that page. The quality is hit and miss, and the subjects are mostly emotionless and simple head portraits on plain backgrounds.

It's not the lack of talent that I see, but a lack of effort that is obvious. This is the general problem that a lot of good artists don't understand.

My advice would be to create 10 times the artwork and chose only the best to show until you can consistently create high quality work and not just little sketches.
>>
>>2934763
You do not have a solid understanding of the fundamentals. And your lighting is all over the place and inconsistent, every limb has the highlight coming from a different place.
>>
File: 1432244514402.jpg (38KB, 375x549px) Image search: [Google]
1432244514402.jpg
38KB, 375x549px
>>2934763
Yellow fever white guys are some of the weirdest type of people I have ever met, desu.
>>
>>2934827
>tfw just realized I have never met a yellow fever white guy in my life ever
>>
>>2934763
Maybe wait a couple years before you claim that your fundamentals are "strong".
>>
File: tumblr_omp09xsjzp1vvqp55o1_540.png (112KB, 540x327px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_omp09xsjzp1vvqp55o1_540.png
112KB, 540x327px
Another turd I see. Ask this question again when your art becomes as appealing as mine. All you draw are boring portraits of asian women with white backgrounds. And your rendering is pretty bad too.
>>
>>2934836
How exactly aren't my fundamentals not strong? I' no ruan jia but I know my fundamentals. >>2934821
It's called ambient light.
>>2934805
A great deal of the stuff I post is from imagination ironically
>>
I think that you should work on things like composition, design, color theory, shape language and more advanced lighting. You could probably make the OP pic more appealing if you chose a better angle+composition, used more dynamic lighting and pushed the colors even more.
>>
>>2934911
Sorry for the late reply, I'll try my best to be articulate...

Your anatomy and posing need improvement as well as your knowledge of form (an example: here it's obvious that you don't really know how clothing folds work). Your colour choices aren't great (it's all either muddy or too monochrome), and there's no texture to speak of - you don't know your materials well enough so everything is the same blurred rendering.

Try other things; dynamic poses, interactions, compositions, other subjects and environments.

I feel that it'd be good for you to take a step back and work on those fundamentals, because your art isn't at a professional level yet, especially when your gallery consists almost entirely of generic girls in static poses. It's dangerous to think that you know enough at this stage.
>>
>>2934974
How is their anatomy wrong and what's wrong with the folds? Genuinely asking.
>>
>>2935001

Different person but look at her right arm in this painting.

http://ambiguityart.deviantart.com/art/Nana-652488751

The top fold on her arm should not be that high and the shading is literally two lines on either side. The folds on her right knee don't sit right either.
>>
Yes. Really boring stuff. Tell a story with your art, say something with it, add a little variety. You're just drawing women not doing anything interesting
>>
>>2935010
>http://ambiguityart.deviantart.com/art/Nana-652488751
Not just the arms, the proportions are horrible.
The right leg is starting at her stomach.
The Left leg is the length of her arm.
Her torso is the shape of a potato.

The perspective on the couch is inverted.

These are fundamental mistakes!
>>
File: 1491795690267.png (298KB, 600x880px) Image search: [Google]
1491795690267.png
298KB, 600x880px
>>2935001
Quick pass at the risk of being one of those bad redliners, but then again my anatomy is also pretty shit-tier. Just obvious errors such as the neck being too thick, the collarbone area being way too low, the torso too long, the fingers too thin and joints not defined properly, and the thighs + arms too thin and uniform, pointy in the wrong places and undefined.

As for clothing that's not applicable to this piece, since it's formfitting. What >>2935010 said - the glaring error is that there are no creases/folds at all in places - http://ambiguityart.deviantart.com/art/Tamara-672835012 look at the pants, the jacket which should at the very least have small dips in the seams, etc, etc.
>>
Thanks for the critique. My second question is , fundamentally speaking am I as good as sycra? My friends said yes, but I need anonymous opinion.
>>
>>2935115
No, and you might want to stop comparing yourself to him. No good can come from that.
>>
>>2935115
not to say your art is bad but Sycra has way stronger fundamentals, just look at his lighting, colors , rendering etc, i think you need to do more studies from life if you want your work to look more realistic
>>
>>2935115
No. You have a long while to go.

Why would you want to compare yourself to sycra? He isn't even that good.
>>
Your friends are just telling you want you want to hear, they don't know shit.
>>
>>2935125
>>2935124
>>2935122

Because i've been modding his forums for ages and i'm sick of being his little bitch. He doesn't even acknowledge me in his videos. But I don't wanna stop modding till I surpass him.
>>
>>2934763
you can draw and paint solid, yet you don't seem to have tried something further apart from a single photo reference, try industry-like work
>>
>>2934781
>Most people can't even finish a work

When your fundamentals suck there's no point in finish a piece, deviantart is filled with millions of people who can polish their turds real nice, but finish is just icing on a cake, you gotta know how to bake a cake, a whole load of icing sugar on a shitty cake doesn't count for much.

>food analogies
>>
>>2935151
...Whatever makes you motivated is good, I guess. Good luck.
>>
>>2934821
It's very apparent that the lighting is off when you compare each thigh and then look at her waist, it looks like the same highlight is coming from 3 different places. All you other works have inconsistent lighting like that too.
>>
>>2935151
Sever.
>>
>>2934763
Too boring. Your colors need more contrast, better placement of the subject, less stiff poses and more facial expression.
>>
>>2935156
That's flat out wrong. If you ever want to get good you have to learn to finish something and to put in the most effort you can to make an image look as good as your current skill level allows you to. It is applying studies to high effort finished images that push you to the next level.

A lot of beginners seem to use the argument of "polished turds" as an excuse to stay in their cozy little study and sketch zone where they never have to push themselves and never have to look at the best they can do with brutal honesty and learn from their mistakes.
>>
>still no proof of being said artist
The critique seems okay at least. I've been on /ic/ long enough not to trust claims to be a certain artist. Maybe I'm just growing jaded kek.
>>
>>2935210
You don't need to finish anything to get good you retard. You can get good at drawing without delving into painting. Not only that but when you understand construction the transition to painting will be much easier.
>>
>>2935264
finishing something isn't just about rendering and detailing you moron. If you attempt to finish something, giving it your best shot, you'll naturally put in more effort into the planning, reference gathering, the drawing and composition etc. If all you do is sketching and studying and you never put your skills to the test, you never push yourself beyond your comfort zone and you'll never develop the mental fortitude to actually work hard on an image. You do your daily doodles and studies and call it a day, hoping some day you'll magically learn to put it all together and start making worthwhile art.
>>
>>2935303
can vouch for this. trying to properly polish a piece immediately tells you what you don't know.
>>
>>2935312
How do you properly polish a piece?
>>
>>2935303
If you have more than 2 brain cells you would know what your weaknesses are without "finishing " something. Whatever that means. I don't need to do a finish piece to know that I suck at drawing hands. Sketching and studying isn't comfort zone retard, it's only comfort zone if you're doing things that you don't already know. Like if you are only drawing animu heads without incorporating anything new. If however I'm doing sketches and studies of things i'm not familiar with like I dunno perspective and buildings and environments then obviously you're gonna improve. Being able to sketch well is the basis of a finished piece.
>>
>>2935330
just fully planning the piece out and resolving to spend a few days on it rather than rushing through, looking up reference when stuck and trying to apply everything you think you know. when you get stuck then make a note of it and practice, rinse and repeat.
>>
>>2934763
Yea, there's this uncanny valley vibe to it.
I have a theory that it's because you jumped into figure drawing too early, before you got confident with your lines and orientation in space.
To cure that, I'd recommend Peter Han's dynamic bible (/drawabox) and Scott Robertson's book. In your mind, your canvas should turn into a 3D space from which you pull out your forms. Look at how Kim Jung Gi draws figures, for example. He knows this, so his figures always sit tight on the ground plane and you can be absolutely sure the artist wanted them this way.
>>
>>2935151

You seem to have a really strange ego situation going on

Your work is inconsistent and there's a lot of basic issues you shouldn't still have. I think maybe your study situation isn't what it should be. You're not terrible, but considering how long you've been at it, I'd expect you to be much better.

What's your routine generally like? How many hours a day? Who do you study from?

Without knowing much about your situation my general advice is to get away from Sycra and your forum because it's not doing you any favors. Sign up for Jeff Watts online, or New Masters, and grind some fundamentals. Do some master studies from actual good draftsmen. Get good books to study from. Study study study. Don't make any assumptions about how good you think you should be, because it's just a bunch of ego shit and you're fooling yourself. Get away from stylized shit and digital, try just working in charcoal.

Study like you're a beginner who wants to be Michelangelo, not like an intermediate hobby fan artist who wants to be a better hobby fan artist.

Sycra is fine as far as internet artists go, but the fact that there's an entire forum and internet community around him boggles my fucking mind. When there's people like Watts, Vilppu, Huston, etc. on the internet, who have taught and worked in the industry for decades, what are you doing competing with the pointy chin guy? Set the bar a little higher, and maybe you'll see some real progress. Get some real ambition in your brain if you really want to surpass people.
>>
>>2935370
I hate when people give this advice "stop drawing stylized shit" Why the fuck would you stop drawing things you like drawing? Furthermore, being able to stylize well is a fundamental of its own. Whenever I see pure realistic artists even try to slightly deviate into the realm of stylization they immediately fail. Fuck off.
>>
>>2935379

>Why the fuck would you stop drawing things you like drawing?

What you like to draw isn't necessarily what you need to draw to improve, and when you're stagnating like this you need to radically change your method and perspective to get things rolling in the right direction. You can always go back to whatever you like to do, but don't count it as studying.

>Furthermore, being able to stylize well is a fundamental of its own

No it isn't. It's something that has to be studied on it's own, yes, but it's not fundamental at all. Realism is prerequisite to it.

>Whenever I see pure realistic artists even try to slightly deviate into the realm of stylization they immediately fail

Yes, people who have never tried to do something before aren't good at it, that doesn't mean the skills don't translate. Just because Proko can't draw cartoons doesn't mean suddenly you shouldn't study realism, and centuries of art instruction should be thrown out the window.
>>
File: tumblr_ohu5nayUud1r8n53qo1_1280.jpg (702KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ohu5nayUud1r8n53qo1_1280.jpg
702KB, 1280x1707px
>>2935390
>What you like to draw isn't necessarily what you need to draw to improve, and when you're stagnating like this you need to radically
change your method and perspective to get things rolling in the right direction. You can always go back to whatever you like to do, but don't count it as studying

If you stop drawing what you like drawing you're eventually gonna burn yourself out. You should be doing stylized stuff in tandem with your realistic studies. You'll also improve much quicker because you'll be able to simplify and weed out aspects of realism that apply to your style and aspects that don't. You aren't suddenly gonna wake up one day and be like okay, I've mastered realism now I can practice stylization. That's stupid ineffective and won't get you anywhere.

No it isn't. It's something that has to be studied on it's own, yes, but it's not fundamental at all. Realism is prerequisite to it.

What are you? Some 70 year old Geezer that draws bargue plates all day? Shape design is a fundamental. I can say perspective is a prerequisite to anatomy, it doesn't make it any less of a fundamental.
>Yes, people who have never tried to do something before aren't good at it, that doesn't mean the skills don't translate. Just because Proko can't draw cartoons doesn't mean suddenly you shouldn't study realism, and centuries of art instruction should be thrown out the window.

No shit, I never said you should throw them out. I'm saying you should DO THEM SIMULTANEOUSLY. The reason proko does shitty dog comics is because he spent decades studying realism without practicing stylization.
>>
>>2935406

Thank you for taking the time to play Captain Obvious while nitpicking good advice and entirely missing the point of the way it was phrased.

OP's problems have nothing to do with stylizing, or 'shape design' as you've decided to rephrase it. He has fundamental problems related directly to realistic drawing, and studying that would help him improve.

Yes, you can still do other things for fun if you want to do them, we're talking about what he needs to study to fix his particular problems you fucking mongoloid.

Of course you post the Proko comic because your brain can't function beyond whatever the latest 4chan meme was. I'm basing my advice on what people who have actually worked in the animation industry have said. I also recommended Vilppu, who teaches realistic drawing SPECIFICALLY FOR THE PURPOSE OF TRAINING CARTOON ANIMATORS.
>>
>>2935370
Talking about surpassing Sycra is a meme on /ic/ and a sign that you are in a troll thread. I don't agree with some of your points but good post overall. Bit wasted though because you're probably not even replying to the actual artist.
>>
>>2935419
Wait scratch that bit about not agreeing with some points. I was being a fucking retard and read some things wrong
>>
>>2935210
>That's flat out wrong. If you ever want to get good you have to learn to finish something and to put in the most effort you can to make an image look as good as your current skill level allows you to
no
absolutely no
If you are having fundamental problems, like proportions, perspective, values,etc.'finishing' the pic would be a much much less productive use of your time than getting into solving those issues.
If a piece you drew has the perspective all messed up you'd be better starting some perspective studies than rendering said draw
Sure, eventually you are gonna want to start finishing your works, you have to learn to, but 'polished turd' is not an excuse, it's what happens when people follow the advice you just gave.
'finishing' a piece can take a lot of time, time you could have invested learning something you are having troubles with, the end result is exactly that, a polished turd.
Why do you think great artists have so many sketches around? why would they do something so simple, if, according to you, the way to improve is through finished work?
>>
>>2935431
ngmi
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.