[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Terrified about not being "on time" anymore

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: las4417.jpg (72KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
las4417.jpg
72KB, 720x1280px
Some stuff that happened in my life brought me, some months ago, to make the most important decision i ever made: i want to be an animator.
Not wanting to turn this post into more of a blog than what it's already gonna be, i'm not gonna bore anyone with my previous life.
Just know that at 23 years old (now 24) i realized that being an artist is the way for me to be happy and respect myself.
And yet i knew nothing about art, and couldn't draw.
I know it feels half-assed, but please, take it as it is. I have no better way to explain it without boring you to death.
Well,it's not like i can draw now either, but i've never felt as accomplished as in the past 6 months since when i've picked up studying drawing. I found the joy in studying something that i saw so many of my peers feel and was desperate in not having.

And yet... all of the hours i spend on paper are haunted by this costant thought. Is it too late? Did i waste too much time? Are people i will apply to going to look at me and choose someone younger than me?

If there's one thing i'm not humble in... is saying that i'm humble. I know i have to work a lot, for my stuff is not good at all. I know what i have to do. And i'm doing it at the best of my possibilities.
But i can't free myself of this thought.
And i won't lie: i post this thread just to find some comfort, but i post it here because i know i won't find any. I want the harsh reality, the food for thought only /ic/'s anonymous brutality can give.
Do you guys who make a living off of what you love the most in this world have some words to send my way? Whatever they are, they will be important.
>>
>>2934066
loomis
>>
>>2934066
Not gonna make it.
>>
>>2934072
>>2934079
Please, i'm putting myself on the line. I've been lurking here for half an year, partecipating in /beg/ and reading all the interesting threads.
Don't be cruel and just meme me. I know all about (needing) Loomis and everything else. I assure you the books in your sticky, the life drawing, the everything, are a big part of my everyday.
I know there's people here with words to give, you show that in critique threads.
Please, don't one word meme me. It's just so cruel. Use your words, i just want to read you as humans giving me their own opinions. Harsh as they may be, that's only fair.
>>
It's not late to start, but it's also not early
You gonna have to put a lot of time, what kind of animation do you have in mind
>>
>>2934066
I'm no pro, but if you want something, then go for it, anon. This is your life, you can do whatever you want. It's not too late until you're in your 40s, then it's probably too late. Even mid-30s are pushing it. It's kind of shameful at that point, isn't it? 20s is the same any other 20s in terms of hiring, probably. So, yeah.
>>
>>2934107
Anything really. I love 2D, but am open to 3D too. I like pretty much everything animation-wise, so much so that i find it hard to "choose" a style to settle on.
However, i'm trying to focus much more on learning "how to draw" than learning how to animate for the moment. I feel like i have to at last get very comfortable with the human figure to start going at it full force, but maybe i'm in the wrong here.
I just know that i want to be an animator and not an illustrator, so i'm focusing on stuff like posing, anatomy and basic perspective for my studies, but i'm beginning to think that i might have overlooked stuff like advanced perspective, composition and even shading that might still crucial.
It could be that i'm lacking direction in my studies, i'm really struggling to understand what i absolutely NEED and if i can allow myself to overlook some arguments. What do you think could be the best course of action?

As far as animations go, the only complete work i did so far was this one
http://imgur.com/BN55prk
It was a sort-of assignment/homework practice of p2p animation suggested by Sandro Cleuzo in a workshop in my country i attended to last month. The assingment was to do have some sort of material become a skull, with the example being a jar of poison emitting a venomous cloud. I decided to go mexican, for some reason. Still had lotsa fun doing it
>>
>>2934125
(the timing is really dull in it because it's the old version i did before i found a crack of toonboom for pencilcheck)
>>
>>2934066
Before you stylize your art, I think you should work on your fundamentals more.
Those legs are scaring me.

Who do you take inspiration from?
>>
>Do you guys who make a living off of what you love the most in this world
ahaha not on /ic/
>>
>>2934130
Inspiration as in, artists i'm studying? I'm not really studying from artists i like, i'm all on fundamentals (and as you noted, not accomplishing that much on it yet, although i might have rushed my time trying to stylize already). Is it a mistake to not study their stuff? I don't really know how to "study" work from artists i like. Copying their works alone accomplishes stuff?

Btw, i love Ankama artists, Gainax artists, milt kahl and pretty much every artist from the disney silver and reainassance age. Non-animators, Brett Parson, kim jung gi, david tako, grassflu and especially tb choi. I also enjoy a lot chabe escalante's qt stylized grills
>>
OP, you're overthinking this. Take a step back and relax.

>And yet... all of the hours i spend on paper are haunted by this costant thought. Is it too late? Did i waste too much time? Are people i will apply to going to look at me and choose someone younger than me?

You're 24. You have two paths to take from here, and they both lead down to the same road; age 34. Age 44. Age 54.

Stop now and you'll never know where you'll be in that time.

Btw; 6 months isn't that much time, relatively. If you started from absolute zero I'd say your current skill isn't too bad. Think of wherever you'll be in another year.
>>
>>2934066
>>
I'm neither professional nor animator but i'll try to help
first of all, why use pencil and paper? get yourself a cheap drawing tablet if you dont have one yet and start learning with basic animation programs like PAP
if i were you i'd start with learning animation principles first (ya know, the basics like timing, gesture, and stuff like that)
regarding drawing itself, you really need to practice basic form and perspective since animation (at least if you want it to look good) needs to have a good sense of 3d space and depth,

Do not rush things, be patient, learn to animate simple objects (like cubes and cylinders, floursack) first and when you're comfortable with that gradually move on to more complicated stuff,
a lot of artists like to rush stuff(me included) and it backfires pretty hard, so yeah, keep it simple and you'll get there one step at a time instead of walking circles
>>
>>2934157
What >>2934130 said, but copying will only teach you how to copy
Spencer wan is a good example of artist
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6vTI5g198E
>>
>>2934203
Whiplash is bullshit though.
>>
>>2934191
>copying will only teach you how to copy
People don't actually believe this do they? Especially an artist who draws from life all the time. There's no way.
>>
>>2934212
sure drawing from life is a good way of learning various things, but doing that without understanding the fundamentals will teach you no more than just copy what you see

thats a mistake a lot of beginner artists make, try to jump steps and draw portraits from photos when they dont even know the basic head construction
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.