[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ive been trying to find an affordable tablet for a while now

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

Ive been trying to find an affordable tablet for a while now and I also need to buy a new laptop because my other one is fried. Should I go with a surface pro to get both at once? How good are they for digital artwork?
>>
bumping ....... i'm also interested in this.
>>
self bumping
>>
File: 123.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
123.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
I suck at art but i do love technology, and the surface pro 4 is a great laptop if you love touch screens, but i feel like the pen isn't as "real" as i would like, you get used to it but it feels like drawing with a heavy straw or something.
>>
File: 1234.jpg (68KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1234.jpg
68KB, 2048x1365px
Also, make sure you get the keyboard that goes with it, almost impossible to write longer texts without it.
here are some shit i made with it the month i had the surface...
pls no troll i'm no artist
>>
>>2933870
They have no processing power, enjoy drawing on a 100x100 canvas
>>
>>2933942
Any similar tech that would be better?
>>
>>2933950
sketchbook or home desktop
>>
>>2933958
Im looking for a tablet laptop. Id get a desktop but I cant afford that plus a tablet
>>
>>2933960
then surface is the best option, ipad pro is nice to draw on but it sucks at everything else
>>
>>2933964
Yeah theres no way im getting an ipad
>>
I bought a surface and I regret it now. Its a nice little tablet computer and fun to play with, but its got no processing power or ram so any time I try to make stuff in any adobe program, it starts lagging a lot. some programs dont recognize the pen's pressure sensitivity either.

I think Im going to sell mine and invest in a nice desktop + drawing tablet instead.
>>
>>2934042

>some programs don't recognize the pen's pressure sensitivity

haven't had this happen to me. Update the driver, there's some specific file on microsofts site that generally fixes this if it's ever an issue (for say SAI or such).

Also as far as lag, I have a SP3 and it's not laggy to an unusable level at large resolutions (I go from 4000x4000~5000x8000 dpi300~600 depending), but it heats up to a concerning level. This is my second one, the first one was unusable in certain areas of the screen and I have no idea what caused it to be that way.

It's decent but it's expensive. I think wacom has some financing plans now so I'de just go for a companion if you really want on the go laptop/drawing tool. There's also some cheap alternatives, although you'll be working with even worse processing.
>>
>>2933870
i fucking love my surface pro 4 i5 . i use it to paint ,play games ,watch torrents. i can play dark souls 2 flawlessly 30fps high graphics. i use sketchbook pro on it mostly for painting. and i like it. you probably cant do really big paintings on it with mega detail but its good for mid grade work. it starts to get hot under your palm after doing a lot of detail which does get annoying but the tablet is so useful and worth it, i dont really mind. also i torrented cs6 and it works fine now after i downloaded some software from Microsoft themselves. i honestly its better when i connect my tablet to my surface pro and use it as a regular laptop. but if you have no space or traveling but dont want to carry traditional mediums to sketch somewhere, like at a restaurant or in a car. its super lightweight and fancy.
just make sure you get one with good ram like 8gigs. the more ram the better it will run on bigger paintings. i also suggest the i5.
>>
>>2934440
also dont get the finger print scanner keyboard cover. its not worth it. i only got it because i was able to get any cover for free. it can detect your face pretty good and you can set a pin, for easy access
>>
>>2933942
>>2934042
What model did you buy? I have a SP4 core i5 with 8GB of RAM and I paint in at 4800x4800 or 4800x7200 and it doesn't really get laggy until my virtual file size gets to be about 3GB.
>>
>>2933964
>nice to draw on but sucks at everything else
vs
>nice for everything else (for a tablet pc), but sucks at drawing
The perfect machine doesn't exist.
>>
>putting enough stress on the tablet that it gets hot
Enjoy killing your battery.
>>
>>2934870
>but sucks at drawing
It doesn't suck at drawing, it's just not as good as the Ipad. There's even a comic book artist who uses it to do his pencils.
>>
>>2934887
>n-trig activation threshold
>n-trig jitter
>n-trig in general
>dat balance
>dat weight
It sucks for drawing. It's about as good as tablet pcs get, but it still sucks.

>there's even a-
There are people who draw on a bamboo small.
There's probably some professional who swears by genius.

It honestly, genuinely sucks for drawing.
You can mitigate some of its problems by using it on a desk top and using stabilizers, but the reason you'd use those is that it sucks.
>>
File: worry.jpg (25KB, 584x432px) Image search: [Google]
worry.jpg
25KB, 584x432px
I recently purchased a Surface 4 as a gift for somebody I'm working on a project with (assuming they don't flake on my ass) so they can draw at work, but trying it out for myself I'm very disappointed. The parallax, subtle though it is, is murder when you're used to none, there's also a perceptible input delay (I'm using the top shelf model) that doesn't actually affect anything, but it's a topical annoyance. The screen is very slick and that coupled with the aforementioned parallax and ergonomic issues it's difficult to put any given line where you want it to go.

It's just hard to work comfortably on it too, you either have to lurch over it with it lying flat on your desk or table (and you better be a long-neck-nigga if have that keyboard plugged in) or you can have it sitting in some kind of hybrid position at an angle and draw like that, using the free hand you'd normally have on your hotkeys or keyboard clasping the entire device in place so that you don't end up pushing it around your desk with the slightest application of pressure due to how light it is.

It is less comfortable, less precise, and simply a much less effective tool than even a skeptic like myself thought it would be-and if I hadn't gotten it off of craigslist it would have cost close to $2,000. I feel it's one of my worst purchasing decisions to date. It would perhaps be effective for doing those kinds of labor-intensive and time-consuming things that don't require freehand drawing per se such as lineart inking and rendering but there's no way I would recommend this thing as a drawing tool when you can do so much better not only for the money, but in general.

Get an Intuos Large. Don't kid yourself; buying something like this will not suddenly turn you into some sort of digital open-air artist begging to get mugged by moulinyans the second he steps off his stoop.
>>
i will bump this
>>
>>2935494
Thanks
>>
>>2935494
I just tried one at the store (obviously with OneNote, no PS/CSP/Sai) seemed fine, extremely shaky when drawing slow lines though.
You'd also want to adjust the sensitivity curve so it reaches 100% with less force
Activation pressure was a tad higher than I'd prefer too, but it's not impossible to get used to
Display is beautiful, the keyboard is great, the kickstand was a great piece of design.
Not sure how I'd rate it as an art tablet, it just feels like it takes some getting used to.

Would still wait for SP5/SB2 coming soon, Windows apparently developed much better tech
>>
>>2940897
Those tube bodies make me sick
>>
>>2933942
Don't know what the fuck kind of Chinese-ass knock offs you picked up. Even an old Surface 2 still runs Tvpaint, Photoshop, and (to a lesser degree) Zbrush at proper resolutions.

Surface has been good to me.
>>
>>2940904
>drawing tubes
your nightmare in art school?
>>
File: 1450385288836.jpg (2MB, 1387x1935px) Image search: [Google]
1450385288836.jpg
2MB, 1387x1935px
Interested in this thread
bump
>>
>>2940897
source? I scoured the internet and couldn't find anything
>>
Surprised that no one had mationed any of wacoms portable tablet computers.
>>
File: 1468896878519.jpg (22KB, 453x453px) Image search: [Google]
1468896878519.jpg
22KB, 453x453px
>>2943289
>$2,000
>Isn't nearly as multi-functional as a laptop
>>2943209
Got it from Pinterest, turned on PinDown on an infinite scrolling page so not sure where exactly.
>>
I've got myself a second hand Surface Pro 2, (2 because it's the most recent with wacom)
it had shitty battery life, so I wrote to microsoft, warranty expired 2 years ago... they directly asked me to send it so they can replace it with new one, free of charge (delivery too)
Fuck yeah Microsoft ftw
>>
Any Wacom alternatives that don't often have software issues? My splash has been constantly been unresponsive, but lately it just completely crapped out, so looking for suggestions.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (71KB, 770x812px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
71KB, 770x812px
I have a Surface Pro 4, i7, 16gb RAM. Cost a lot but overall very worth it. I use it for architectural drawings and stuff when I'm not at my desktop at home and it's been great for the last couple of years (or however long it's been, I got it soon after the 4 launched).

Quick review:
Pros
>Keyboard is a scissor switch chiclet style, very satisfying to type on for such a thin kb. Backlit and adjustable brightness.
>screen is very nice, high DPI, can't see any individual pixels unless you're literally centimetres from the screen
>very light and portable, weighs very little
>pen feels nice and tracking is pretty good, minor lag when drawing in certain programs (photoshop) but others are nice and responsive (onenote, mspaint). honestly i don't find myself using it much, i do most of my sketching on paper.
>absolutely does the job of replacing a laptop, I have a wireless mouse to go with it (bluetooth, so it doesn't use up a usb port). In desktop-mode with the kb and kickstand out it feels just like a small laptop.
>since i got the top spec model it runs fine, handles architecture programs (even heavy duty ones like Revit) just fine, very little perceptible slowness compared to my desktop for similar workflow. I think the lower spec ones are pretty slow in comparison.

Cons
>expensive as fuck
>High DPI can create some issues in programs, particularly Adobe and Autodesk software, where they don't listen to windows' UI scaling and end up tiny (you can fix this sometimes with a custom file though)
>Only one USB3 port. Could really do with at least 2.
>battery life is a bit pants, 3 hours tops with light usage (internet, word processing) - maybe an hour and a half of anything more. MS's quoted times are for minimum brightness screen which is very hard to see if you're in a lit room.
>The case scratches easily, i got a leather cover for it after a pen in my bag gouged a line in the back.
>kickstand gets a little wobbly after a while, still functions fine though.
>>
>>2943709 here, sorry for doublepost

>>2940897
I got the shaky lines thing at first, there's a Surface app available on the windows store that can adjust pen settings, a bit of tweaking here resolved the issue completely for me.

>>2935494
agreed on the parallax issues, and the glossy screen, to be honest it's designed as a note-taking, writing based tool rather than a full blown art tablet and this is the main drawbacks if you're looking at it as a drawing machine.

as for ergonomic issues, I don't draw on mine in desktop mode at all, it feels very unnatural. Just take off the keyboard or flip it around the back and draw on it like a tablet. Most programs designed specifically for it (I'd recommend Autodesk Sketchbook and Graphiter) have UIs that don't need any keyboard input so it hasn't been an issue for me. Ignoring the previous issues I found it quick pleasant to sketch on while lounging on the sofa but I don't think it'd be suitable for more serious painting.

>>2943399
you dun goofed, the Pro 3 was the first one that was good. lucky you got a free replacement though.
>>
>>2943709
>>2943714

This has been really helpful. i'm getting mine tomorrow hopefully.
>>
>>2943743
Glad I could be of help. Which spec do you think you'll get? Also maybe it would be a good idea to wait until the SP5 is released, since the SP4 might get a price drop around that time? Up to you, if you can't wait then I don't blame you.

Do bear in mind it works best as a sketching/note-taking device but you can probably experiment on it and see what you like. Don't forget the case as well, I got this one from ebay, it's pretty nice and has a magnetic close. I got an MX Master to use with it for general use/CAD drawing so would recommend a decent wireless moues too (don't get the weird microsoft one)
>>
>>2943767
>Also maybe it would be a good idea to wait
This, both the ipad pro and SP should be getting updates relatively soon, and even if they're not great, the current models will be cheaper
>>
>>2933870
Cintiq Companion 2 or Yiynova 19U+ or larger or Wacom Mobile Studio Pro
>>
>>2933870
Depends what you want to use it for, it's absolute ass for line work. I had a Surface 3 that I intended to use for art, but I hated it and sold it. I'm used to drawing with my Intuos Pro on my desk top PC, which means absolutely zero lag, syrupy feel, parallax or anything like that. So I just couldn't adjust, felt awful. I can imagine the newer Surface might preform a bit better, but just be aware of it's weaknesses.
>>
TL;DR thread, but I bought a SP3 8gb/256ssd for about 600 as an open box from amazon, completely new with protectors on it still. Didn't come with the keyboard so I bought the SP4's keyboard and it works on the 3 and is so much better, photoshop runs good although I have had trouble with the size of the UI, Illustrator is really small but photoshop's is alittle too big. I believe it's my pirate copies though. My plan is to eventually build a rig and use it as a second monitor/input like an intuos but run photoshop off the desktop but I haven't gotten there yet and I'm not sure if it would work. Anyway, I was able to buy a mid-tier 3 for cheaper than the lowest tier 4, so just shop around a bit. Only thing the 4 has over the 3 is the flap in the back can be repaired if broken much easier than the 3's so be very gentle with it (I broke one and burned a couple hundred to return it)
>>
>>2944928
Also manga studio runs great on it
>>
>>2944928
look up how to fix UI scaling with a manifest file, it's basically a small piece of code you put in the same folder as the .exe and it tells windows to ignore the program settings (adobe disables windows ui scaling) and scale the program anyway. Works perfectly for me on adobe software, some autodesk stuff can be a bit weird afterwards but works fine.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.