[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

need advice

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: 1a_cold_night.gif (469KB, 540x422px) Image search: [Google]
1a_cold_night.gif
469KB, 540x422px
Hey guys I need some advice. First off I fully admit I am a shit at drawing.I fully admit this. In fact I know rule 2 is a thing but fuck it.

Basically I have this autistic story from my childhood I've been imagining since forever, and even though it's retarded, I started writing it out. A few years later I've written 320,000 words (almost 560 pages in 12 point TNR). However it's very fragmented, I've jumped around to different points trying to get around writer's block. I've always imagined it cinematically and I feel like even though writing is "easier", I really want to represent it visually. The problem is I have no drawing abilities whatsoever. I thought to overcome this by making pixel art storyboard/animatics to tell the story. Pic related is the first scene. However if word count to frame count is at all proportional, it's only 1/627th of my story as is which itself is only 5% of what I would need to write. However with something like this I can also skip over a lot of description with montages so that helps.

I'm sure I am near character limit so I will continue in the next post.
>>
>>2933843
Just create filler for the gaps.
>>
File: tsotw_coldnight_lowquality.webm (966KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
tsotw_coldnight_lowquality.webm
966KB, 640x480px
So as you can see my pixel art really isn't much better, but a lot of that is because I really wanted to get the damn thing finished because I am realizing I will never finish this thing if I spent forever on every little scene. Then I realized, perhaps it would be quicker and easier to just draw like I normally do when I make my shitty art, where I draw on index cards then ink and scan. It's certainly comfier than drawing with a mouse but even so it takes a bit of time. Less than the pixel art but it also looks shittier.

So now my question is: which to choose? I made a ton of bad MSPaint art for a video trying to describe this story, but that was an extremely bare outline and was also 35 minutes long. I cannot draw in MSPaint (I can't draw at all to be honest) so I am wondering if I should get a cheap drawing tablet so at least I don't have to deal with my lines being absolute shit.

I estimate I have something like 20,000 frames I would need to draw to tell this story so even if I made 10 per hour (quick sketches) I would still need the equivalent of a year of full time work to accomplish this. That said I could probably cut it down a lot if I tried to, depending on how much detail I added. I have worked on quite a few more index cards of later scenes in the story but they are frustrating me.

Anyway I know this is really autistic and barely qualifies as art critique but I was wondering if you guys could maybe help me decide which avenue to pursue.
>>
File: brokenarrowfirefight1.gif (126KB, 547x462px) Image search: [Google]
brokenarrowfirefight1.gif
126KB, 547x462px
Another option: I do what I usually do and turn up the contrast and color in paint or paint.net. However this takes almost as long as the pixel art in some ways. Although the work IS less aggravating and especially so if I were to be careful not to draw too many places I need to fill in a lot of tiny gaps (like trees and vegetation).

I also have some vague musical talents. Nothing special but it means I can at least write something tolerable to accompany these scenes. Not sure what I would do for dialogue, yet. I can't do voice acting as my voice is spergy and lispy. I can't even imagine doing a female vioce.
>>
>>2933843
>>2933848
>>2933851
This is autistic as fuck but whatever we all have goals.
-Make a story board, start simple get complex.
Draw main scenes and fill in gaps. Do this on paper, computers make it hard to organise your brain.
-Eveyone on /ic/ will cringe at this, but your making a story not going for 'visual art' Develop a style. If you know you cannot draw develop some short hands or shortcuts, like every single web-comic out there.
-Pixel art is time consuming, your stuff seems decent. I kinda like it. But if this is really just 1/627th and your not just being an autist maybe try something quicker just like scanned in drawings or paint and then upgrade once you build the "story" Michel moor once said you can have the shittest camrea in the world but if the narration, story and sound are good no one will care.
-Leadiing on from this, look at documentries and how they use a little content to tell a story. Most TV docs are just pictures with pans and zooms , try that.
-Just get royalty free music, no one cares.
-Get a friend to narrate it, dont use a bot its cringe. if not, use "simlish" or just mumbles and add captions. People can read them and still get the pace/tone.
Good luck. This sounds intresting.
>>
>>2933843
Couple of thoughts:

Storyboards don't cover every word and event. They link key scenes together. And, storyboards are to design the flow of a film. Are you making an animated feature, or a book? They're different, in execution.

320,000 words is overkill. An average manuscript is 100,000 per 400 pages - you've written enough for 3 standard novels. EDITORS are important.

You're setting out to do something that would challenge an exprienced artist/animator. You'll learn how to do it, if you keep at it - but this is a huge project, even on amateur terms. Try doing a chapter, and see how it works out.

Trust me, i know what I'm talking about. I've been working on an illustrated book for a while, it's a ton of work, and you have to choose your images carefully. If your story needs that many images, consider doing a cartoon. And, 320,000 words...damn. That's just too much. You;'re biting off way more than you can chew - even if you had the skills already.

Another thing to consider would be a South Park type animation, in Flash. Simple shapes, and do each chapter as a separate file.

Note: A night sky doesn't have to be pure black. It can be dark blues and purple.
>>
>>2935940
Good advice. Thank you. My one question is: should I get a cheap drawing tablet to save on the scanning / coloring work? Are there any good cheap ones? Anything with a double digit price tag? Or should I just stick to paper.

>>2935999
I'm making basically the webms I posted. Pretty much a comic book but the frames are organized into a video with music.

I've edited a lot of my book down and cut out words and I've learned to write a bit more concisely now. In fact I used to have 330,000 words. The reason it is so long is because it's really many smaller novels... something like 9 or so at this point. It's an ongoing story I've imagined in my head since I was 7 or so, about a massive microscopic war. Obviously it's changed a lot in that time but it's still the same continuity. I imagined at school when I was younger, then when I was older as well, even on vacations. It's really the only thing I still have from my childhood. So I guess I feel this autistic urge to put it on paper, or in video, or something.
>>
>>2936022
me>>2935940
Depends on your budget.
Good advice with art is start small and learn alot.
If you have money get a cheap tablet. If you dont use paper. Don't think about to it too much. stay minimalist. Don't add anything you dont need. Your trying to get your idea across not make any artistic breakthrough.
personally if it was me.
I'd get a cheap tablet. Storyboard while its being deliverd on paper. Scan them in when it arrrives. and do quick sketches over and finish off the story. (1 frame every 5 seconds even.)
Then slowly add more frames and effects to make it more intresing, add pans and zooms. tidy it up.
Think about the game. That block shit. I forgot the name. Someone help me out. But its about a block called Thomas and it was a great told with blocks and nothing else. If your epic isint trash it wil hold up with autistic sonichu animation.
>>
>>2936049
Any recommendations on the tablet? I'd prefer something with a double digit price tag but if that's not possible I wouldn't mind 100 to 200 range.... I'd only use it for drawing so it'd be ok if it wasn't paricularly powerful..
>>
>>2936049
>If your epic isint trash it wil hold up with autistic sonichu animation.

Hopefully.
>>
>>2936049
>Depends on your budget.

50 to 150 dollars
>>
>>2936186
As i said cheap who cares.
>>2937362
Pray
>>2938921
Cool i'm not your mum. Spend your pocket money how you like
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.