[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one begin planning something like this? Specifically

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_5097.jpg (722KB, 1413x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5097.jpg
722KB, 1413x1000px
How does one begin planning something like this? Specifically the combination of perspectives.
>>
>>2931848
Boxes
>>
>>2931853
The more I think about it the more this answers the question
>>
>>2931848
If you've watched his sketchbook video.
He just does it as he goes. There is no planning.
>>
File: images.jpg (74KB, 600x200px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
74KB, 600x200px
>>2931848

I have seen some interview where he said that he has a large majority of the image planned out in his head before he puts pen to paper.
>>
>>2931848
Get hit by lightning.
>>
>>2931882
He doesn't "plan" because he's been doing it so long that it's become a second nature. OP wouldn't be able to do something like that without actual planning
>>
>>2931882
There is planning. I remember him saying that he plans out the basics of where everything will go, he doesn't get into the nitty gritty of where every single figure will go or where every single detail will go but he plans out things in large blocks. I think he said he just imagines where everything will be in terms of boxes. I know it's a meme but there's some truth to it. I assume he might envision the large mass of people on the bottom left as a giant box and then fit the figures inside there and he'd just repeat the process. In terms of incorporating multiple perspectives, I think that just comes down to doodling and experience. Kinda like how people draw figures or floating heads randomly all throughout the page, it looks like KGJ just drew various scenes on his page. I assume muscle memory also comes into play quite a bit since he reuses a lot of his compositions, the draftsmanship is unbelievably good but the compositions aren't really all that experimental and he tends to stick to the same handful of compositions that he always uses. Maybe that's his comfort zone, but I assume having the composition already planned and knowing where you're gonna place everything cuts down the work load significantly and from there it just comes down to putting his skills to use.
>>
File: comic2.jpg (811KB, 1413x1000px) Image search: [Google]
comic2.jpg
811KB, 1413x1000px
>>2931848

It's a comic page with a "foreground layer" that is the last final panel.

Remember that KJG usually uses in his drawings every day experiences and is inspired by them. Some things that actually happen to him with some daydreaming.

In this piece he documents his tourist trip to somewhere. So first they are arriving at the place, then he passes through some shopping district and sees street restaurant that is noice so he took a photo, then he arrived at the tourist spot with lots of tourist trips led by guides, saw temples and statues in front of them. At the end he took a photo of someone (his friend?) while the other people around were butting around in the shot.

About what I draw:

Purple arrow - the timeline of a story.
Red arrows - borders of frames/individual paintings proposed by me

Blue rhytms - indicate shared perpective/gesture, so those central frames might look a bit different and be just a part of one big shot in fish lens

Green colored people - "final" foreground frame, all people belong to one scene.
>>
>>2932013

What is special/confusing/amazing about the piece:

1. Spamming curvilinear perspective it at least 3 major "frames", rest of the frames is also drawn dynamic in 3 point/inclined.

2. Lots of figures and detail, obviously overwhelms, most of the illustrators bother only with single figures with no backgrounds and comic book artists usually don't go very detailed because of working on smaller formats and with smaller budgets.

3. Drawing really, really fast and in ink.

4. Related to above - the overlapping of the "final frame" with rest of the comic/painting. Such overlapping in traditional media isn't commonly seen, as it requires quite big preplaning.

Most of the digital artists would just draw on separate layers and make covering of one image by another a lot easier.

This are my 2 cents about KJG.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.