[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Art vs content/story? Which do most readers prefer?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 02.jpg (380KB, 1200x1708px) Image search: [Google]
02.jpg
380KB, 1200x1708px
Art vs content/story? Which do most readers prefer?
>>
>>2930913
bits of both. though this guy writes a lot of characters dialogue way out of character.
>>
>>2930914

Because he doesn't play games, he's just making money off popular shit.

I would do that too if I didn't have a soul and only cared about making cash.
>>
>>2930913
Wait, he's actually good?
>>
This art makes me a bit ill...looks like mspaint done by a kid.
>>
>>2930948
well if you draw all the time. you're most likely going to improve.
>>2930944
ah well. still doesnt excuse bad writing lol.
>>
>>2930913
it depends on what's the overall point of the comic.

If your point is to show off sexy characters doing sexy things then you don't need a really good story. Just a decent enough story that will hold it together.

If your comic is supposed to be funny then the art-style can be total crap as long as the jokes deliver.

I would say generally the more character focused your comic is the more you are going to want to improve the art. But if it's more conceptual then the content and story take much higher importance than the art.
>>
>>2930913

>Art vs content/story? Which do most readers prefer?

Unless you are consistent and your art doesn't actively harm you/obscures the message you are trying to say to the audience, then

Narrative >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Art & the rest.

It's not even the case of the times we are living in in which most of the people actively filter out the sensoric garbage they are bombared with from everywhere or that shit artists (like Shad) make buxx because people are more interested in captivating ideas (loli Clinton fucked by Trump - bleh, but nobody did it before, at least semi-decently) that will glue their attention to a media for more than 5s.

We were always about telling each other stories, cave paintings served mainly those purposes and the artistic qualities were secondary at best. People dismiss medieval art because IMHO they don't understand this - it was more about comunicating ideas, which are both familiar but also incomrehensible to us nowadays because we aren't thinking in mystic terms (to such degree people from late antiquity started).

To stay at the end on topic - look at all successful comics. Sin City? Distinct and cool art style, but what it would be without those awesome noir stories? Nobody would be interested in it.

Sandman? Style changed from comic to comic, some were drawn pretty badly - but the ideas were fresh and sold it. Thorgal, the comic that I like, while has distinct RosiƄski art, its main strength is the mash-up of the world and the adventures of main hero that Van Hamme written.

If you have BOTH story & the visuals, it's awesome. But you will go farther with just very good story and meh visuals than with meh story and very good visuals.

Btw, if you would argue about Hollywood, consider that what it does constantly is rehash and tries to "upgrade" on the stories that were told and people loved. It leads to some garbage, but it also shows how people are drawn out to stories and when they end, they want more or have nostalgia.
>>
>>2931162

See Star Wars - modern ones have absolutely nothing to do in terms of visuals with old ones - but people for more than 30 years (or is it 40 now?) are drawn to the franchise. Because Darth Vader was terrifying in original story. Because lightsaber duels were memorable, because the force and everything.

Now it mostly collapsed to terms that are self-contained and don't really mean anything, but it STILL draws people in - because they remember the original stories and the world build and recognized now that story by some key visual elements even though there is none of it.

You might think now - but hey, it means that visuals are more important! - but I argue here that they are secondary, because they are rehashed and are more like a milestones/key marks for your brain to remind you of a story you loved in first place - and which itself was a mash-up of something that came before.
>>
>>2931162
Dude at least put a tl;dr at the end of your post. Nobody's gonna invest so much time into reading it when they have no guarantee there'll be a point at the end.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.