[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Using the mirror tool

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

File: Capture.png (134KB, 893x561px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
134KB, 893x561px
getting the face to look symmetrical from the front sure is a lot of trouble. So i used the mirror tool to combine the image with itself to achieve a symmetrical drawing which looks a lot better than the original. Doesn't feel right to do this, what's your opinion /ic/?
>>
>>2928995
Only applies when the face is facing directly at the viewer.

You're also a lazy bastard. Fuck off and git gud.
It doesn't take too long to get things right with practice.
>>
Pretty much all of my figure turnarounds are slightly tilted (it's amazing how much a half millimeter here or there can just fuck everything up) and I can't find the mirror or "symmetrical ruler" tool in Clip Studio Paint anywhere.

>it doesn't feel right to do this

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this if the situation calls for it, it's not even close to being a gray area like tracing or photobashing or something like that. There's nothing wrong with being a principled artist but being a luddite just for the sake of it is dumb my dude.
>>
>>2928995
bad idea because you're not learning to look at your picture. You should be looking at the right picture and see where the proportions are wrong. In order to help you, you can use the horizontal flipping tool to get in habit of checking symmetry / proportions
>>
>>2928995
your original looks fine to me, it isn't perfectly symmetrical but neither are real faces
>>
File: look-here.jpg (67KB, 266x442px) Image search: [Google]
look-here.jpg
67KB, 266x442px
>>2929143
>> and I can't find the mirror or "symmetrical ruler" tool in Clip Studio Paint anywhere.
It's right here, dude.
I think it should be somewhere in the manual too, though I never bothered to check it.
>>
>>2929182
>>2929143
>>2929122
>>2929150

Thanks Anons, i'll keep these critiques in mind
>>
>>2929187
That's actually helpful, but I'm starting to think that CSP just doesn't have the stroke mirroring tool that Krita and some others does and that kind of bums me out. I'm trying to churn out character turnarounds in t-poses so a tool that lets me hammer out a silhouette of sorts and then add asymmetry after the fact would be very helpful.
>>
>>2928995

I agree with this anon >>2929182
The perfectly mirrored version looks soulless. Imperfection is perfection.
>>
>>2929202
What do you mean by that? If you need to make something symmetric, you can always use the traditional method of selecting the necessary part, flipping and maybe rotating it as you need, and merging layers thereafter or not.
>>
>>2928995
Most of the people I work under use mirror for front view faces and silhouettes. I took to using it recently and it saves a bunch of time and is all around better for pushing a finished design out.
>>
File: Fug.jpg (38KB, 818x503px) Image search: [Google]
Fug.jpg
38KB, 818x503px
>>2929218
Yeah but that takes more time and then you have to make sure that you put the cut-out part in the exact right spot which takes further time. A mirroring tool is a real time saver; I know it's important to go the scenic route so you know what you're doing but for utilitarian purposes it's really nice to have. You can get whatever you're doing right the first time without thinking about it too much instead of having to make lots of little corrections like I'm going to have to do with this guy (especially that pant leg, woof I really biffed on that part)
>>
>>2929245
Does it work for tilted parts and fisheye perspective, though?
>>
File: Fat-nigga.jpg (28KB, 547x555px) Image search: [Google]
Fat-nigga.jpg
28KB, 547x555px
>>2929262
Nope, but that's not what it's for; just flat, symmetry-oriented production (pre-production?) artwork or to a lesser extent design patterns, things like that. It's just a tool that expedites a very specific, narrow process.
>>
File: cspsymruler.png (219KB, 1357x1128px) Image search: [Google]
cspsymruler.png
219KB, 1357x1128px
>>2929143
>>2929202
>>2929245
is this what you're looking for?
>>
>>2928995
Nobody's face is perfectly the same, ass face.
>>
File: 1491274900548.png (413KB, 540x559px) Image search: [Google]
1491274900548.png
413KB, 540x559px
>>2929893
Yeah that's it. I just figured it out literally minutes ago too. That tool was not in my tool bar or anywhere else to be found in the software as far as I could tell, but through some searching I learned about doing an "initial boot" of clip studio which restored it. I don't know how the hell it got deleted to begin with but considering it's one right-click away I guess I'm not all that surprised it happened.

>Krita doesn't let you delete a single one of its half a million useless retard brushes without jumping through hoops out the ass

>CSP will let you delete an entire toolset with a miss-click

>>
If you're practicing, don't use it, it's a shortcut that won't really help you learn to draw faces.

If you're trying to finish a piece and know what you're getting at, copying and flipping stuff is fine. It can speed things up significantly, just realize that faces aren't perfectly symmetrical and its really easy to see when someone just mirrored something. Be ready to change and adjust stuff.
>>
>>2928995
Careful or you might go full OBABO
>>
Faces aren't perfectly symmetrical. This is only a useful tool for things like logo design and highly stylized illustrations. Forget about it for regular drawing.
>>
>>2928995
Original looks better.

you not gonna make it
>>
>>2930059
>OBABO
?
>>
>>2930129
>people who can't google anything
i hate your kind
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.