[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Symbol Drawing

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0939.jpg (124KB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0939.jpg
124KB, 1275x1650px
I've been told that the excercises in this book help with unlearning symbol drawing. Is it advised to skip all the reading and jump to the excercises? Or should I read the whole thing through?
>>
Why not focus on learning things that actually matter instead of wasting your time on some retarded "unlearn symboli drawing" exersizes?

PS: I haven't read the book, a few of my art friends have and I speak from their behalf
>>
File: picasso-stravinsky.jpg (90KB, 500x637px) Image search: [Google]
picasso-stravinsky.jpg
90KB, 500x637px
Summary: Right Side of brain good at seeing and Left Side good at words. Left side doesn't want to look at thing for long, so it tried to make symbols to save time. So if you want to unlearning symbol drawing start by picasso igor stravinsky upside down. it force the Left side of the brain to stop interfering with thr R mode(right side of the brain).
>>
draw from life alot
>>
>>2926983

Recognizing shapes and how they are in proportion to each other is fucking important even if you do just copying. Your art friends sound like people who put markers and pens on their drawings and then photograph it, add filter and post on facebook once per 2 weeks with occassional 1 month "break from art".
>>
>>2926974

I would advise to skim through the book everytime the old lady begins to talk about science (or rather 'Pataphysics) or her students. That, and the Buddha quotes of course. Half the book is just that and will bring you nothing.

It's important to read the instructions before any exercice, because that's where she explains the real stuff.

Having gone through the book, I can guarantee you that you won't be missing much by doing that.
Also don't overthink it: it should take you 2 weeks top to go through them (6 days according to the author and my experience was the same).

It's merely an introduction and the aim is to train your mind to watch something, put it on paper and compare the result with the real thing.

Just that, but it will prove valuable when you move on more demanding books.

> I was drawing stick figures before the book though
> If you already regularly draw from life, you won't learn much here
>>
File: self-portrait-1907.jpg (286KB, 804x1022px) Image search: [Google]
self-portrait-1907.jpg
286KB, 804x1022px
>>2927002
What he's saying is don't fall for memes. Maybe reading a book filed with pseudoscience, and drawing the work of someone who did almost nothing by symbol drawing upside down, doesn't help you.
Be honest, if Picasso wasn't famous, and he posted his work here, you would all be telling him to stop symbol drawing, and how he needs Loomis.
You get good a drawing by learning the fundamentals and applying them to life and work you admire, over and over until you get good. That's it.
>>
>>2926974
If you can't take the time to read a book, you don't have enough discipline to become an artist. Just leave.
>>
File: art fundamentals.png (11KB, 636x481px) Image search: [Google]
art fundamentals.png
11KB, 636x481px
>>2926974
Isn't art fundamentals symbol drawing?

Instead of drawing a head you draw a sphere, instead of drawing an arm you draw a cylinder.

So symbol drawing shouldn't actually be a problem since that's what you use when you draw
>>
>>2926974
>unlearning symbol drawing
literally do observation studies from upside down photos until it's gone
>>
>>2927046

When they talk about symbol drawing, it's about replacing the real thing with its associated symbol (a crescent instead of the moon, an egyptian eye, a cartoonish smile, etc.).

Betty Edwards doesn't go into construction drawings (which is probably why the faces drawn by her students seem flat) so you won't find the otherwise classical 3-D basic shapes in her book. You'll find them in pretty much any other books, but not here.
Her book is focused on a very limited subject (copying what's in front of you): drawing from memory and from imagination are called "advanced skills" (her words) and aren't really touched in the book.
>>
>>2926974
Throw that stupid book in the trash and read keys to drawing instead
>>
>>2927074
throw keys and and edwards in the trash, watch accuracy by dorian iten instead
>>
>>2926974
The book helps if you're really just starting out and need to get a foot in the door. The exercises actually helped me "get" what people meant by symbol drawing, so I guess the book helped. You can skip the pseudoscience and do a bunch of the exercises. It won't take you too long to do anyways. After that it'd be good to work on the fundamentals from other books, as many have said.
>>
>>2927079
dorien pls go
>>
>>2926974
Using 3D programs and perspective girds and models work a lot better
>>
Read it all, take the pseudoscience with a grain of salt and do the exercises.
>>
READ KEYS TO DRAWING INSTEAD, you'll learn to draw what's in front of you. Then practice fundies
>>
>>2927050
/thread
>>
>>2927079

At least tell us why this book is worth it.
Does the author really expect us to wear triangular glasses?
>>
>>2927886
It teaches how to copy images using 2d thinking - the only useful thing in keys and edwards books - but does it far more quickly without all of the fluff and bullshit in those two books. You don't have to do the glasses thing, I didn't. Combine it with the first lesson of dynamic sketching https://youtu.be/eaif0PpNMas and you have a great package for the first step in learning to draw.
>>
>>2927886
also it is a video and free.
>>
>>2928150
But this isn't what Drawing on the Right Side or Keys to Drawing teaches.

Did you even read either of those books?
>>
>>2926991
just drew this, now what? when do l unleash my right side powers?
>>
>>2926974
the book tells a lot of things about how certain things work for your brain to make you better at drawing, but honestly, who the fuck cares. what it does tell you to do and is actually very helpful, is to just draw shit upside down
thats it, just draw it upside down until your brain finally goes from "is this finger supposed to be facing this way?" to "does this line curve this way?"
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.