[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Creases/streaks in stretched canvas?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: halp.jpg (179KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
halp.jpg
179KB, 1080x720px
just got into stretching canvas for oil painting. Base coat of

rabbit skin glue and then linseed with titanium white for prime.

3 that i have done have turned out very nice, but this one has

developed creases. I do not recall what stage this happened

though it looked tight before i rsg'd. what causes this?

poor fabric weave? rsg? not tight enough stretch?
>>
Really weird. If the canvas fabric is from the same bolt as the other ones you've stretched, then it probably isn't the fabrics fault.

Try wetting the back of the canvas with water and a paintbrush. This tightens up stretched canvas, and I've seen it done and it works. I don't know the specific science behind it but it works.

If that doesn't work, then you may have just made a mistake in stretching too loose. Happens. Reprime.
>>
My advice is use a panel instead if you're not working large. For the most part at that size it's more convenient, too, because they are thinner than the stretcher bars. A smooth panel without the texture of canvas will also allow you to paint more crisply.
>>
>>2928512
If you're going to use panels, might as well buy canvas roll and cut them up. Much cheaper and easier to store.

>>2926455
Is there a reason why you want to paint on a stretched canvas? Unless you like bouncy surfaces and is willing to pay for it with money and space, otherwise just paint on the canvas cloth without stretching it.
>>
>>2928512

This is for preference and I only use canvas panels for study. Flat work tends to sell less.

>>2928518

You are an idiot. Unstretched canvas with a full painting on it is a bitch to stretch if you want to show your work after.

If OP is using RSG rather than Gesso, then OP knows what they're doing. Both of your opinions are trash
>>
>>2928589
>You are an idiot. Unstretched canvas with a full painting on it is a bitch to stretch if you want to show your work after.
I never said to stretch the painting after painting it. Reading comprehension.
>If OP is using RSG rather than Gesso, then OP knows what they're doing. Both of your opinions are trash
That is not a guarantee considering most people start oil painting by buying pre-stretched canvases.

It's simply a suggestion, no need to get mad.
>>
File: 1464889592421.jpg (37KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1464889592421.jpg
37KB, 480x270px
>>2928589
>Flat work tends to sell less.
>assuming canvases are not flat.
>>
>>2928589
So? I use RSG and lead ground. Canvas texture is only a distraction on small works. Amateurish work tends to sell less.

I don't know what you mean by flat. Thickness of the stretcher/board? Texture? The Mona Lisa was painted on board.

I didn't read the rest of OP. Maybe it's exactly because the canvas was too tight. RSG tightens up the canvas considerably as it dries. I can't really tell from the photograph.

As for unstretched canvas, ideally should be painting on stretched canvas rather than unstretched, but unstretched canvas can be glued to Dibond and it will be more permanent.
>>
>>2928512
The reason for using panel is it looks more professional than canvas of the same size, and especially on large works, in exchange for it being less convenient at larger sizes and more expensive.
>>
>>2928671
meant for >>2928518
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.