[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Seven habits of great artists

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

File: Screenshot_20170331-223516.png (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170331-223516.png
1MB, 2560x1440px
https://youtu.be/vM39qhXle4g

Generally liked the tipps this guy gave. Any oppinions?

I think especially the 'concentrate learning' part is really important and often overlooked.
>>
>>2922361

8. The spark
9. Exercise
10. Healthy Diet
11. Stimulant drugs
12. No social life
13. Autism
>>
>>2922370
14. Ligameme
>>
>>2922370
I can't count that far.
>>
https://imgur.com/a/745BL
dude traced that portrait of rey
>>
The advice was pretty much all good. Some of /ic/ is going to dismiss it because his art is pretty mediocre.
>>
>>2922388
That damn bundle of sticks! I generally don't get why his work varies so extremely between sometimes photo realistic and low tier deviantart OC
>>
>>2922371
>1) Daily work
>2) Volume, not perfection
>3) Steal (well)
>4) Conscious learning
>5) Rest
>6) Feedback
>7) Create what you love

I do all of the above daily and I ain't got shit
>>
>>2922392
Yeah his redults aren't the best - but considering what he taught himself in one year it's okay I guess. The advice is still good.
>>
>>2922395
Post you progress
>>
File: boyfriend locked.jpg (26KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
boyfriend locked.jpg
26KB, 640x640px
>>2922392
/ic/ is just a bunch of salty losers, don't take their opinion seriously

>Hurr durr read the sticky
>You need loomis
>Grind gesture/posture/perspective
>Anime horny trash
>generic shit
>abstract shit

basically they will shit on anyone because its ''criticism'' and lets not talk about the ''perfect god-tier standar the average /ic/ user expects, when the basis of the art is not take your art so harshly because stress hinder performance/learning a lot

There is some good advice and good shit sometimes over here, but its mostly shitpost
>>
>>2922395
>2) Volume, not perfection
I can never get this into my head
>>
>>2922378

use your toes too
>>
>>2922611
Pro tip right here.
>>
>>2922370

14. neuroplasticity
>>
>>2922370
>11. Stimulent drugs
Tfw i'm not sure if my art gains are me or the adderall
>>
>>2922370
>>2922371
>>2922641
kek
>>
>>2922490
What's wrong with grinding the fundamentals? It's literally how you get good at any craft.
>>
>>2922749
Shhhh... don't destroy the bubble
>>
>>2922749
>What's wrong with grinding the fundamentals? It's literally how you get good at any craft.
Were that the case, /ic/ would not be filled with so many abject failures who, after "grinding", still manage to have utterly terrible work to show for their effort.

This is, of course, compared to many professionals, and several that came from here, that always tried to the the best work they possibly could have, and when it didnt work out, they learned what they needed to and continued on, and also did their own creative work instead of thinking that they had to master every little thing before they did anything but "studies" for "grinding"
>>
>>2922749
Fundamentals are great until you realize you cant draw the kangaroo
>>
>>2922395
Future successful person/overachiever here, this applies to pretty much everything. Do it regularly, concentrate on it intensely, look at how people better than you do it, and be smart about learning.
>>
File: Where are my drugs.png (92KB, 125x353px) Image search: [Google]
Where are my drugs.png
92KB, 125x353px
>>2922370
>11. Stimulant drugs

Fuck yeah, gonna get some weed and LSD, brb.
>>
>>2923089
visual library is a fundamental
>>
>>2922987
>/ic/ would not be filled with so many abject failures who, after "grinding", still manage to have utterly terrible work to show for their effort.
How many people here do you think actually grind their fundies and put serious effort into learning? You're more likely to find people entrenched in their comfort zone, try to learn drawing boxes in perspective for a day, then wonder why their work is still bad.

/ic/ isn't a case study proving that grinding fundamentals doesn't lead to improvement. Instead it's people hellbent on not properly learning and trying to apply what they learn, and expecting instant results from their half-assed attempts.
>>
Seek the source, there is no need to take advice from shitty artists, the only valuable wisdom they have to impart are common sense memes that are stolen from more experienced creators.

Even though I agree with 95% of what he says the 5% that is slightly off makes this kind advice worse than simple regurgitaaion
>>
>>2922388
He had a lot of money on the line. I might have done the same. It's still annoying though
>>
>>2922696

Yeah, same boat. Thank the gods for Modafinil and Amphetamines.
>>
>>2923396
new here. what does he say that's slightly off?
>>
>>2922361

Not a bad lecture, originality is definitely overrated these days.
>>
>>2923356
true, it's a kangaroo with boxing gloves
>>
>>2923895
Around 8mins in he talks about the last portion of a painting taking 40% of the effort, this is true (its more like 70%) but he brushes it aside as if its not important, this is a mistake, this part of the process is not easy and it's often what separates a good piece from a great one. Finishing work is a skill in and of itself, it's difficult, you don't get better or faster at it unless you do it properly.

you have to constantly push the polish stage to find out what it means to overwork a piece and what level of finish you want or are even capable of.

He says it's easy because he's finishing up a brain dead reference copy.

He overplays the importance of motivation on what a young artist should draw, when you are learning you should try to push past that shit, grow to love lots of things or you'll end up drawing shitty female anime portraits forever. Yes draw what you love but come the fuck on drawing cute girls alone is the sign of a vapid mind, just because you like drawing that stuff more doesn't mean you use it as an excuse to avoid learning to do anything else, or worse you say eh I wasn't built to draw men that's why i'm shit at it.

What makes an artists great is not feedback, he conflates willingness to learn with feedback as a key ingredient. What makes you great is taste, you have to learn to analyse and fix your own problems, feedback can be great and is important but constantly relying on others to solve difficult problems wont give you the tools to ascend.

nitpicky shit but crap artists giving advice pisses me off.
>>
>>2926821
>Yes draw what you love but come the fuck on drawing cute girls alone is the sign of a vapid mind
Maybe, but you've failed to explain why thats a bad thing. Sure, it's limited, but not every artist sets out for the same reason.
>>
>>2927015
you're right it's not inherently a bad thing, if as a professional you decide that all you give a shit about is cute portraits then go right ahead.

It's a dangerous mindset for a young artist to have, you limit yourself from day 1, 5-10 years down the line you're still afraid of drawing anything outside your comfort zone, I can't imagine this lack of freedom is very fulfilling but maybe it is.

It bother's me here because the video is called "7 habits of highly effective artists", even worse this thread is named habits of "great" artists.

Having said that, Ilya Kuvshinov exists, he makes bank and if hes your favorite artist then nobody can or should stop you.
>>
that guy went from total shit to passable anatomy in half a year? makes me feel better about just picking up the hobby again as a beginner. maybe the 2 years meme is real
>>
this guy is total crap. what the fuck...
>>
>>2927035
>you're right it's not inherently a bad thing, if as a professional you decide that all you give a shit about is cute portraits then go right ahead.

So it's little more than something you dont like? Alright then.

And who's talking about professionals? We're talking about artists, of which some are professionals, and some are beginners, and all of which make art for different reasons. Some can draw lots of stuff, and some can draw what they specialize in. Not to mention that with the myriad of avenues that ones art can take these days, this makes point makes little sense, as one can find a userbase somewhat easily.

>It's a dangerous mindset for a young artist to have, you limit yourself from day 1, 5-10 years down the line you're still afraid of drawing anything outside your comfort zone,
The problem here is, you're conflating willful specialization with "comfort zoning", and assuming that a young artist will not expand on what that can do, and also assuming that this is a bad thing. George Stubbs was self taught and largely painted animals, mainly horses, but could still paint portraits.And for a young artist that did the opposite of what you suggest, that is, sticking to very few subjects, his work seems to have done well, what with having 16 pieces or so in the British Royal Collection.

> I can't imagine this lack of freedom is very fulfilling but maybe it is.
You assume its a lack of freedom. See: The Tyranny of Choice

>It bother's me here because the video is called "7 habits of highly effective artists"
Why? Any number of quotes and biographies can be found that back his points from artists far more remembered you and I.

Your entire position seems to be predicated on the idea that an artist must continually tackle more and more subjects, but you've yet to explain why this is necessary
>>
>>2927167
No, he's still total shit. All he's doing is copying photos, it's not impressive or indicative of any real understanding, in my shitty art class at 16 most people were about this good. He has no mental model for the forms.
>>
>>2927521
Look, there are no objective statements when it comes to art. At the end of the day, when shit in a can is acceptable gallery work it's all opinions. Anime portraits don't get put in museums they sit with the millions of other attempts on deviantart.

I don't really care about hobbyists, their goal is not to be effective or get good their goal is to have fun or de-stress and more power to them, as far as im aware ic was about getting good and for most, getting paid.

when you start out drawing it's very difficult to separate willful specialization from comfort zoning because naturally you don't like to draw things you are bad at, you have a compulsion to attempt what you can succeed at and this stunts growth. My point of view is from someone who wants all artists to be the best
they can be while drawing the stuff they love, since all aspects of image making are interlinked its always better err on the side of caution, branch out and learn as much as you can from day 1 while you're still humble and hungry.

For someone who sees art as a type of language the tyranny of choice seems equally as ridiculous to use as an excuse for not learning new vocabulary. W-what would I say if I knew all those words??? Is a stupid mindset to have. I have no idea why you would encourage stunting your growth before really trying.

Yeah again, I agree with 95% of what he says, I agree with all his larger points that he took from successful creators.

I believe it is necessary if you dedicate your working life to art to either choose a subject matter of sufficient depth or to constantly tackle new subjects because learning and doing new shit is the only thing that keeps it interesting or fulfilling.

TLDR
when it's possible to be just as good at and love multiple things and therefore attain higher levels of accomplishment and satisfaction why would you choose only 1 (most of the time it's laziness).
>>
>>2927562
>Anime portraits don't get put in museums they sit with the millions of other attempts on deviantart.
Well, no one is saying they do. You're the only person here talking about anime for some reason.

>I don't really care about hobbyists, their goal is not to be effective or get good
Well, you really dont know that. A hobbyist is simply someone who pursues something with out the endgoal of professionalism; this does not preclude the desire for skill. You seem to be operating on a skewed premise of what a hobbyist is and isnt.

>as far as im aware ic was about getting good and for most, getting paid.
But no one here was talking about /ic/, we were talking about artists in general, and then beginners/young artists. Even then, there's plenty of people that post on /ic/ that simply want to get good to draw what that want to draw, with no professional aspirations. If you want to talk about people who want to be professionals, then yes, i agree with you, but that was never the central point of this discussion, the original discussion, nor a point that you brought up at all.

>when you start out drawing it's very difficult to separate willful specialization from comfort zoning because naturally you don't like to draw things you are bad at,
Not really, no. You are again, conflating two things that arent the same. If someone only wants to draw cute lolis, but you draw them badly and dont attempt to get better at it, or only focus on drawing the single loli you draw well, then you are "specialized", but comfort zoning.An artist that wants to draw everything, but never pushed themselves is just as bad. However, if you only want to draw lolis, but you're constantly learning everything that you can to draw them better, be it fundamentals, design, drapery, fashion, architecture, etc...Then you're "specialized" but not comfort zoning; Its a matter of mindset, not subject.

cont...
>>
>My point of view is from someone who wants all artists to be the best they can be while drawing the stuff they love, since all aspects of image making are interlinked its always better err on the side of caution, branch out and learn as much as you can from day 1 while you're still humble and hungry.
The problem with this that, again, your entire position seems to be predicated on the idea that an artist must continually tackle more and more subjects, but you've yet to explain why this is necessary. It would be beneficial , yes, but not necessary because, all aspects of image making are not interlinked, as there are specific disciplines within visual art, that have their own rules, tools, and process that dont overlap with others. This isnt to mention that you're under the assumption that if an artist doesnt start how you think they should, that they wont do so later, and this is again, unknowable and little more than an assumption.

>For someone who sees art as a type of language the tyranny of choice seems equally as ridiculous to use as an excuse for not learning new vocabulary.
You don't seem to understand my point. I'm not saying don't learn more vocabulary, i'm saying learn what you need to when you need to. You don't memorize every word in a dictionary and every bit of grammar when you learn a new language, as it were. You are, again, thinking that if one doesn't seek completely mastery of it all from the start, then one never will, which isnt what im saying.

>W-what would I say if I knew all those words??? Is a stupid mindset to have. I have no idea why you would encourage stunting your growth before really trying.
But im not encouraging stunting your growth at all, im saying again, learn what you need to, to communicate what you need to or want, and as your skill grows, you'll find yourself at a level where you can hold your own, at which point you can either focus on one area, or keep branching out. You know, specialization.

cont...
>>
>I believe it is necessary if you dedicate your working life
But again, we didnt start this discussion about working life. I dont disagree with you, but you're arguing a point that was never a point.

>..to art to either choose a subject matter of sufficient depth or to constantly tackle new subjects because learning and doing new shit is the only thing that keeps it interesting or fulfilling.
Sure, and i dont disagree, but that was never the point of contention, so i dont know why you're talking about it. This started because i questioned this:
>Yes draw what you love but come the fuck on drawing cute girls alone is the sign of a vapid mind
Because there is nothing wrong with drawing what you love, either as a hobbyist or a professional lucky enough to get paid to draw what they love. Not to mention that you've constantly conflated drawing what you love with not trying new things, which doesn't make sense, because if someone likes making, say, landscape art,and never once draws a living creature in them, that doesn't mean they cant constantly be trying to improve how they do their work, or experimenting with the boundaries of their subject. This of course can be swapped out for any other subject.
>>
Damn, forgot this part

>TLDR, when it's possible to be just as good at and love multiple things and therefore attain higher levels of accomplishment and satisfaction why would you choose only 1 (most of the time it's laziness).

For several reasons.
>when it's possible to be just as good at and love multiple things
First, again, having a limited subject of work does not preclude skill in drawing other things, merely preference, this is an incorrect assumption.
>and therefore attain higher levels of accomplishment and satisfaction
Second, what constitutes accomplishment and satisfaction may differ from artist to and assuming that your definition is inherently more correct is a facile argument to make, if not woefully arrogant.
>why would you choose only 1 (most of the time it's laziness).
Third, See point one. This is also based on assumptions and not any sort of actual provable observation
>>
I cant deal with 1000 minor arguments ill just say we don't fundamentally disagree.

Everything I say is within the context of ic and its culture. My point of view has no value to someone who doesn't want to be a professional illustrator or concept artist.

Yes specialize and draw stuff you like, always and forever. Just try to care about more than your dick when learning fundamentals. Cute girls are one thing, fashion, design, environments, comp, characters who you don't wanna wank to are another thing, even if they are all in service of your cute girls its fine, you are growing as an artist. Just don't use the fact that you like one subject the most as an excuse for ignoring less appealing but useful subjects, and absolutely do not have a fixed mindset that you are shit at something because I liek grills more. Work through boring/ tangentially related subjects if its in service of better expressing the thing you like.

Its important to branch out asap because you are at your most flexible near the beginning, you have drive, no ego, motivation, nothing to loose and everything to gain, it is not impossible to branch out as you get older but its much more difficult to go back to the shitty feeling of being a beginner who struggles to even attempt the most basic crap. This isn't pure conjecture it is evidenced by the stagnation of almost all artists once they reach a certain pay grade and acquire new responsibilities.

If the only thing in life you care about, literally the only subject matter that registers on your emotional radar is cute girls, there is nothing that can be done, you will and should draw cute girls until you get bored or die. I wouldn't wish that on anyone because its a sign of a stunted, empty individual who never got to experience or think about anything meaningful beyond lusting for women. Actually, I do view a vapid mind as a bad thing, a missed opportunity.

if you admit its beneficial why not encourage it.
>>
File: 1487726552544.jpg (44KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1487726552544.jpg
44KB, 500x500px
what a fucking spergdown

sage goes in all fields
>>
File: 1482783269121.jpg (176KB, 1000x1040px) Image search: [Google]
1482783269121.jpg
176KB, 1000x1040px
>>2928392
>My point of view has no value to someone who doesn't want to be a professional illustrator or concept artist.
So your point of view is entirely worthless to the original point of contention.

>...This isn't pure conjecture it is evidenced by the stagnation of almost all artists once they reach a certain pay grade and acquire new responsibilities.
M8, youre making some serious logical leaps here. Art isnt something that, if you continually work at, you will continually make demonstrable and measurable improvement. This least of all means that an artist that is older and more skilled is some how inflexible or stagnating. Its called plateauing, and every artist goes though it, from the beginner, to the greatest greats. Time and time again you seem to be making this equation in your head that just doesnt equal out to anything that makes sense. Its not a matter of ego, motivation, or any other bullshit, its just the nature of the beast. For someone so concerned with professionalism, your point of view is entirely amateurish.

>The pace of learning of any given subject, after the initial rapid advancement, seems to move upwards in ever shortening steps, while the time between those steps seems to stretch out longer and longer until we begin to wonder if there is any movement at all. - Glenn Vilppu.

And as for your last point, you seem to be hung up on people drawing cute girls but you failed to, yet again, provide any sort of reason as to why its bad in relation to the original point. You instead switched tracks to a point no one made, to argue something no one said anything about, to make a point no one asked for. You hand out snide deprecation, but are stingy with giving reasoning beyond, "i think this is wrong, i dont like thing, dont do thing". If thats all you have, then you do you, but your point is facile at best, and pointlessly haughty at worst.
>>
and before you say it again, my position is not that all artists "must continually tackle more and more subjects" its that QT GRIL is a shallow subject matter and you should learn a lot in your formative years so you can be more eloquent down the line when you're old and tired.

also nobody gives a shit about this stuff the only point I really wanted to make is stop listening to awful artists.
>>
>>2928414
Not that anon, but mind explaining what you mean by
>shallow subject matter

Like there's no deeper meaning, I think is what you're saying?
>>
>>2922394
>Drawing from reference
photo realistic
>Drawing from imagination
low tier deviantart OC
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.