[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>/ic/ recommends a resource >buy it >it's awful

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

File: efd.jpg (19KB, 403x392px) Image search: [Google]
efd.jpg
19KB, 403x392px
>/ic/ recommends a resource
>buy it
>it's awful
>>
File: 1486423740187.jpg (183KB, 517x768px) Image search: [Google]
1486423740187.jpg
183KB, 517x768px
>>2920307
>/ic/
>actually reading the resources
>>
>>2920307
Which resource?

I'm guessing it was "Drawing on the right side of the brain"?
>>
>>2920338
Color and Light
>>
>>2920346
Biggest meme book desu. I feel like no one has actually read it and instead people just keep parroting what they hear about it. You're better off reading Gurney's blog.
>>
>>2920307
Why would you buy the expensive physical copy when you haven't even read the pdf version you can get in 5 minutes.
>>
>>2920368
I just like having a physical book to take notes off of. It's hard to take notes when your laptop takes up most of the desk
>>
>>2920368
this lol. you played yourself
>>
>>2920369
You should read the pdf first, and if you find yourself constantly going back to reference it, that's when you buy a physical copy.
>>
Download your pdfs off of libgen.io
>>
>>2920369
Thats not what I was asking though, you didn't even know what the content of the book was like.
>>
>>2920375
Guess I'm just easily meme'd
>>
>>2920338
>>2920346
These two are the memest, next comes Loomis, but for different reasons (loomis books are really bad for beginners and bad for advanced artist, sicne there are better ones)

Whole damned sticky needs to be revamped, it's filled with trash.
>>
File: LULULULULULL.jpg (42KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
LULULULULULL.jpg
42KB, 640x480px
>>2920307
>unironically listening to /ic/
>>
File: Thatface20110725-22047-wlaopv.png (7KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
Thatface20110725-22047-wlaopv.png
7KB, 645x773px
>tfw too poor to get meme'd
>>
>>2920404
How about you recommend something better than loomis? Most of the badass artists i know recommend him and other books considered as memes by ic. The way you and others write only confuses people
>>
File: bg19.png (2MB, 1138x1543px) Image search: [Google]
bg19.png
2MB, 1138x1543px
>>2920411
Bammes has been around for years, and is a go-to book for Russian art gulags. His explanation is clear and to the point, with only issue being his slightly scientific and dry language (he is a professor though)

Newest reprint in english came out not so long ago
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Anatomy-Artists-Illustrators/dp/1782213589/ref=sr_1_1
And quick look around amazon gives you a bunch of his other books.
>>
>I'm an idiot and I couldn't take anything away from a resource than has helped thousands of artists improve tremendously
>which means the resource must be a meme, the problem can't possibly lie with me
>>
>>2920416
Looks just like what Loomis teaches, only with worse drawings.
>>
>>2920307
>/ic/ recommends a resource
>I demo the book online first before buying it if ever
Better luck next time, kid.
>>
>>2920420
>one life
>spend it reading shitty books on the basis that it MIGHT have one little nugget of info i didn't know before
No thanks
>>
>>2920307
Dude, why didn't you just take the rip from the Mega? Do that, and if you end uo liking the book, *then* you should buy the physical copy.
>>
>>2920436
The premise here is that you already read it and are disappointed that you didn't get anything out of it. So you already wasted your time, the only difference to other people is that you were too stupid to learn anything from it. And now you waste even more time whining about it on /ic/.
>>
>>2920346

I told you about Gurney bro. I told you dog. You all called me autistic and that I have issues, but this sin isn't on me.

Pirate Hornung and go with what I told you - huevaluechroma and that site about watercolors. If you need rendering, Scott Robertson talks a lot about it. I have 300 MB of "How to Render" if you can't find it in art book thread.

If you are going oils, "Problem solving for oil painters" is also nice resource, but not about color (per se).

Generally avoid meme stuff.
>>
>>2920307
>>2920411
>Most of the badass artists i know recommend him and other books considered as memes by ic.

People who recommend Loomis do so because when they learned it was basically the only resource (early 00s). Nowadays you have fuckton of stuff that teaches figure drawing in better and more accessible ways, if only to mention newest Steve Huston book, Hampton etc.

Not to mention that Reilly method is superior for head drawing.
>>
>>2920346
LEGIT! this one suuucks!!! Its pretty to look at but this bitch Gurney doesn't explain anything. He basically on one of the pages is like "i dont know why this happens with light but it does ;')"
>>
>>2920416
Is there a PDF of this anywhere?
>>
Long time lurker here.
I am confused now. I just wanted to start with an art book and considered doing Loomis for serious studies.
I also already looked into "Drawing on the right side of the brain" but honestly I don't think this is for me. The author focuses way too much on the "scientific" side of the process. I don't like that, I want to draw. I want a book that shows me how to do right strokes in right places.
What can you guys recommend that has some nice practise tasks in it?

Also I would like to get into colors. Until now I did everything in black/white but I also already did some still life so I think some value fundamentals are there.
>>
>>2920498
Keys to Drawing.
>>
>>2920501
thank you anon!
just did the first exercise. Looks like a good book to practise.

Does it cover colors?
>>
>>2920531

It doesn't really cover color, but it does cover concepts like value. Honestly go through Dodson for drawing and experiment with color on your own. Or check out Hornung's "Color", it has exercises on how to do color studies. Robertson's "How to Render" also is good, but it's for later and this book has more of what you call a science.

t. other anon
>>
>>2920416
>>2920493
The PDF is on cgpeers. That book is the worst of Bammes though, it's like walking through a gallery of his students work with a lot of explanations that can't easily be put into practice on their own. There's only one other Bammes book available in English - Life Drawing - it's pretty good but I don't think anyone has scanned it yet; while the best books haven't been translated at all
>>
File: HAUGHHHHH.gif (623KB, 294x232px) Image search: [Google]
HAUGHHHHH.gif
623KB, 294x232px
>>2920307
>>2920410
>He thinks you have to *buy* the art books
>>
>>2920467
This guy gets it. Hampton and Reilly have helped me way more than Loomis
>>
File: stop.jpg (19KB, 350x317px) Image search: [Google]
stop.jpg
19KB, 350x317px
>>2920334
>/ic/ actually buying things
>>
>>2920609
>>2920630
qft.

Seriously though I'm pissed I even downloaded it and looked through it.
>>
>>2920616
>>2920467
before everyone stops using loomis, can you post a finished work by these guys? they seem to only do construction, and aren't they derivative of loomis anyway? loomis is a highly skilled artist, like almost rockwell tier. I wouldn't discount him because you found one of his exercises not helpful, he goes in to more depth about his construction in drawing the head and hands.
>>
>>2920680
You make a good point. I'll back pedal a tad and and admit I was being a bit hyperbolic. I'll say this instead. I found Reilly's method helped me more personally. All this to say I haven't delved into all of Loomis' work.
>>
>>2920680

Loomis is an amazing artist, and his books are helpful resources and for a time were one of the only good resources freely available (as in it's in the public domain)

Despite that, his books aren't the best for the absolute beginners you find here in droves and the insane parroting you saw only made it even more of a meme. Plus now you have plenty of awesome resources so if you don't like Loomis you go find the ten other books that you might like better, and that's okay.

Also IMO the loomis-spam is a symptom of how over-stressed anatomy is here. Though it could also be because there's a lot of beginners, and beginners are easily impressed by near photo realistic drawings and renderings when compared to other drawings that show competent creative design and thought.
>>
>>2920687
>Also IMO the loomis-spam is a symptom of how over-stressed anatomy is here

But Loomis doesn't even focus all that much on anatomy in his books compared to the more "legit" art teachers that contrarians always name as alternative.
>>
>>2920307
why the fuck are you surprised? Have you seen the way people draw here? It's pathetic most of the time.
>>
>>2920680
I wish someone would put together a book that is essentially Loomis' oeuvre but without all the dry text and dated notions on commercial illustration and more explanatory pictures instead.

Basically Bridgman's Complete Drawing but with Loomis pictures
>>
File: IMG_0623.jpg (80KB, 766x681px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0623.jpg
80KB, 766x681px
>>2920307
Books here like Loomis are a meme for the same reasons 'Sqauts and oatz' is on /fit/, it works when used in the proper fashion and proper skill level but people just spam that shit everywhere as the solution for everything.
>>
>>2920900
Be the change you want to see in the world. Git gud and do it.
>>
>>2920490
>He basically on one of the pages is like "i dont know why this happens with light but it does ;')"
Tbf, the why doesn't really matter.
>>
File: harrypotter.jpg (139KB, 550x407px) Image search: [Google]
harrypotter.jpg
139KB, 550x407px
>>2920913
>mfw I'm the chosen one
>>
>>2920953

I've chosen your for the dick.
>>
>>2920498
>The author focuses way too much on the "scientific" side of the process.

This is quite a polite way to say that she's full of bs.

Anyway, as a total beginner, this was the first book I read (because of the sticky): if you skip all the broscience and happy anecdotes about her students, I found it a valuable book.
Took me a week to finish the main exercises. All in all, my progress was ok compared to the little time I spent on it.

> Disclaimer: by total beginner, I'm talking about stick figures with potato heads

Also, I skipped the color and calligraphy chapters entirely because it's obviously added as an afterthought. The exercises until that point show some kind of progression. Those 2 chapters simply don't make any sense in the book.
>>
>>2920416
you can tell its better than loomis cause this is $50 and loomis books are $20
>>
>>2920307
>buy it
thats where you fucked up, you probably could have found it free.
>>
>>2920307
Why buy? Why not pirate like we all do?
>>
>>2923222
>>2921138
This
>bUT i wANT tO sUPPORT
Nigga a lot of those authors are dead.
>>
>>2920346
I knew it was this book before I opened the thread.
>>
File: harry_no.jpg (46KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
harry_no.jpg
46KB, 620x413px
>>2920954
>>
>>2920307
it was Bridgman, wasn't it?
>>
>>2923428
only the faces suck in bridgman
>>
>>2923431
actually the book is filled with sketches, he didn't draw a single decent drawing.
maybe what he says makes sense and educational, but i wouldn't recommend copying his drawings, even though I see many beginner artists do it all the time, simply because he's recommended
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.