[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Constructing the head and face

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: faces_why.jpg (72KB, 585x377px) Image search: [Google]
faces_why.jpg
72KB, 585x377px
I can draw the ellipses correctly, but my lack of wits prevents me from building a decent face with the Loomis method, to the point where I do better if I use no construction at all.

I do OK drawing faces from life, this is about imagination.

Can someone suggest a better method that is retard proof and that allows to build faces that are relatively attractive?
>>
File: head_tutorial.jpg (208KB, 720x800px) Image search: [Google]
head_tutorial.jpg
208KB, 720x800px
>>2919750
What a coincidence, just yesterday I was doing a tutorial on head construction. Try them all and settle for one, or even better, make up your own.

Draw big but not too big and be mindful of the parallel lines in perspective. Other than that, it's just about mileage. You'll have to use refs for a while, so don't expect any masterpieces too early in the process.
Learn Reilly abstraction too, while you're at it.
>>
>>2919750
>Can someone suggest a better method that is retard proof and that allows to build faces that are relatively attractive?

Try approach that sinix has, basically he doesn't draw on sphere, but "masks" which are faces based on the cylinder (half of it to be frank) and the rest of the head he constructs with box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBv5z0Y2odE

He argues that in this way face head looks more organic and I agree. I would also advice you to look into Reilly method, I personally find it a lot better than Loomis stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RmHOvmPJjE

I'd recommend getting the magazine with advertisments and people there and draw the planes of the head/Reilly rhytms on the faces of people.
>>
>>2919750
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZVHa3i7H_Y

Loomis construction is legit, your issue is probably how the head attaches to the neck.

>>2919817
faggot trying to reinvent the wheel
>>
>>2919817
I'm always wary of self-proclaimed YouTube teachers but the Sinix method seems to work well, at least for basic stuff. Thanks
>>
>>2919843
>>2919848

It's not really reinventing the wheel, I saw similar method before with masks. If anything, it is skipping unncessary steps from Loomis like cutting the sides of the sphere.

Cylinder is much more convinient to orient yourself with in space because you have automatically information about both how it leans and tilts, with sphere you have no such information and with egg shape (which is kinda awkward to draw for the head) you have information only about leaning.
>>
>>2919848
Hey, Sinix is an actual professor now
>>
>>2919750

>Can someone suggest a better method that is retard proof and that allows to build faces that are relatively attractive?

>I can draw the ellipses correctly

I call bullshit. These types of threads are getting way too common, "Hey /ic/, I mastered X, but I need your help in doing X, can you show me how to do it even though I already mastered it? kthanks." It is amazing that no one is calling these people on their bullshit.

Post your ellipses. I am 100% certain that you have not actually mastered them if you're also saying they are also not attractive. Masterfully drawn anything is attractive by definition.

Also this belongs in the general Q&A thread, you don't need your own thread for a FAQ.
>>
>>2919750
After I draw the vertical and horizontal guides on the head shape, I draw a simple Mickey Mouse style hairline. It's surprisingly helpful as you can pretty much get an idea of how well you proportioned the face relative to the rest of the head and it lays out where you will place the features. I'm pretty sure it's a classic cartooning method but it seems pretty unspoken in all the cartooning books I've read.
>>
>>2919809
That huston method is terribly misconstrued and horribly misrepresented, to the point I cannot fathom how the creator even managed toget such a wrong idea of what huston was doing if he ever actually saw a single head he drew.

Actually, all except maybe doxy's show clear lack of understanding, but huston's is fucking uncanny.
>>
>>2919889
Being able to draw ellipses cut in half through the minor axis isn't something I would call mastery
>>
>>2919889
In my most earnest, I'm afraid I have some form of retardation that prevents me from getting faces right.

I'm not amazing or anything but I have no problem understanding how mucles work and at least in theory how I'm supposed to draw 'em better. I've steadily made progress with perspective and figure drawing. I can do nice dynamic poses from scratch with muscles more or less correct.
As a general line if I put more time into what I'm drawing I do better problem solving.

Faces? No fucking chance, I will botch the default 3/4 pose from imagination, no matter how painstakingly I draw the underlying structure. It seems like practicing does nothing for me, I still draw misshapen Bridgman faces.

I'm trying to make more practice by doing straight up copy work of celeb portraits, but I'm failing so hard at getting a likeness I'm getting only omre demoralized.

It's like my brain just misfires, FML
>>
>>2919995
Hmm I think Loomis's isn't too bad. Is it the side of the head? But I agree that Huston's is just... ugh.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.