[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Art and Work

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1440516422641.png (36KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1440516422641.png
36KB, 800x800px
Is it possible to become a decent artist while working a non-art-related full time job (40 - 50 hours per week)?

Asking because I will soon start one and I feel very intimidated by it.

Just thinking about being exhausted as fuck and then trying to draw gives me nightmares.
>>
>>2919661
Yes if it's a typical 9 to 5. Just invest in a coffee maker because you will be tired after exhausting your energy to the norms. If you are working 60 hours a week you're fucked.
>>
Yes, you just need to make time for yourself and slip it into your routine. It'll be harder than if you were a NEET (though I think many NEETs suffer from a lack of routine that leads to crippling anxiety and procrastination anyway), but depending on how hard you go you can get a few hours a day in (a well spent hour a day over a few years will still get you "decent" anyway).

What time does your work start, how long does it take you to get there? If it starts at 9 and takes you an hour transit, wake up at 6 or 7 and draw before work. Are you bussing or driving? If bussing and it's not too bumpy, draw. If it's bumpy, read an art-related book. Listen to a podcast in the car. Do you get a lunch hour? Draw on your lunch hour. What time do you get home? Draw when you get home. Are you waiting for dinner to finish cooking? Draw. Unwinding before bed? Draw before bed.

I'm not saying you need to do all those things, but I am saying even working full time there's more than 8-10 hours in the day that you're probably not using on anything anyway. IMO the morning is the best time. If you're tired and unproductive after work, go to bed an hour early and wake up an hour early the next day, and use the time you have before you're fatigued. You should have no excuse of "I'm too tired" in the morning if you got 7-8 hours sleep, and if you didn't get 7-8 hours of sleep, you might not have been as tired after work as you thought.
>>
File: 3466346443.jpg (83KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
3466346443.jpg
83KB, 500x282px
>>2919707
how on earth do you guys draw while bussing

i can understand doing it if you're on an early bus and it's nearly empty except for you but 80% the bus is so crowded and packed that the only thing i can focus my attention on is keeping my backpack close to me

plus it smells like sweat
>>
>>2919713
Don't draw on the bus. You should watch art tutorial on your phone/whatever instead or watch tv shows. You'll just end up drawing and one second before you know it a flash bang of immigrants load on the bus and sit next to you.
>>
>>2919661
I work 45 hours a week and draw in my free time. It's doable.

It helps to set yourself a schedule and follow it so you can contribute at least a bit of time to it everyday.

I give myself an hour of vidya per day (although I'm giving up slowly), 2 hours max for dinner, then spend the rest of my time (usually 2-3 hours) drawing

Sometimes I will feel tired from work during the day. Coffee helps like the other anon said. If I feel too tired to draw properly I just make myself do studies and become more distracted by internet but in the end I have to make sure I'm putting pen to paper.
>>
>>2919707
>>2919748

And what do you guys do on the weekend?

Do you study 8 hours each saturday and sunday?
>>
The artists for this ballpoint pen drawing is only doing art as a hobby, They're a lawyer full time.
>>
>>2919754
On the weekends I tend to take a break and draw draw somewhere between 2-6 hours. It's important to not make yourself do 8 hours a day even if you can because you'll burn out quickly.

Plan ahead. I motivate myself by giving myself projects to work on, like a series of studies or finished work. This way I can always find something to do after I'm done with my current drawing instead of wondering what to do next and procrastinate in the process.
>>
>>2919754

I'm >>2919707 and no I don't do 8 hours of studying on the weekend. My suggestion in the post wasn't "if you can't do 8 hours ngmi" it was "You can usually fit in time somewhere in your day even if you're busy"
>>
>>2919724
It depends of the place, but when I do so, the other passengers mind their own business anyway... I even got a few smiles from cuties.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.