[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get better with edges? Are there specific tutorials

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

How do I get better with edges? Are there specific tutorials for that kind of stuff?
>>
Getting better at controlling edges is a byproduct of getting better at understanding form
>>
>>2919637
Alla Prima insists a lot on edges, try reading that
>>
>>2919637
>How do I get better with edges?
Paint from life more and analyze master paintings way way more.

>Are there specific tutorials for that kind of stuff?
Probably, but I would be wary of a tutorial on it since how you treat edges is very personal to your style. There's obviously a few general "rules" like soft objects (fur, clouds etc) are softer, and form shadows on rounded objects are softer than more sudden plane changes, but still these "rules" have been successfully broken many times. In general, more soft edges makes something more dreamlike and painterly, and a lack of soft edges brings a solidity or graphic quality to an image. Probably you will not be in anextreme of one or the other but will look for a balance of soft and hard edges, keeping in mind it is not a binary thing but rather a spectrum (like values are not just black and white but there are lots of greys).

As another anon mentioned Alla Prima has a chapter on edges, but iirc it mostly says to just observe them carefully and paint what you see, and squint to help group things.
>>
stapletonkearns blogspot "on edges"
>>
>>2919637
>How do I get better with edges?

By drawing edges and deciding which ones you like and don't like. What kind of a stupid fucking question is this? Why do I keep seeing these stupid fucking threads every day on /ic/?

>How do I draw lines /ic/?
>Which is the best art tutorial /ic/?
>Who is the best artists /ic/?
>How do I get into X method /ic/?
>Which is the best pencil /ic/?
>How do I look at things /ic/?
>How do I move my hands the right way /ic/?
>What are things /ic/?
>How do I open my eyes the right way /ic/?
>How do I breath /ic/?

I mean, what, do you want us to hold your hand through the entire artistic process? For fuck's sake. How about you TRY something, and then when you get stuck after an enormous amount of effort has been spent experimenting and doing trial and error, you come to us with a meaningful question related to something you are working on. You can't just not try something and expect us to tell you everything that's going to happen.
>>
>>2919822
I tried something and it didn't work. Now I am looking for guidance because I don't want to be stuck in shitty drawing forever. Do you understand now you illiterate retard?
>>
i feel like i can identify changes in edges well enough, but i can't actually draw/paint them correctly. this just means i have to keep practicing and experimenting, right?
>>
>>2919637
Edges are a difference in value. If you want better edges, work on dynamic shading instead, it'll come naturally.
>>
>>2919829
>>2919637

try to control/ simplify your value ranges
if you can cleanly break down an image to 3 values, it'll much easier to see and control your edges as develop it further
piotr does variations of this in most of the his work
http://jablonskipiotr.deviantart.com/art/tomcat-steps-435658044
>>
>>2919823

Ohhhh, you tried *something*, well aren't you fucking special. Why don't you post that something in a draw thread and break down your thought process so we can tell you where you went wrong and what you did the right way, instead of dedicating an entire thread to your pitiful attempt at getting us to do your homework for you.

>>2919833

You're making it too easy. Make him learn the hard way.
>>
>>2919637
as many other anons have mentioned, observation and analyzing your own work is the key to learning basically anything, it's hard to give specific tips since we can't see your work

thing i found useful is using lasso tool to get crisp edges, don't rely on it too heavily though or your work will easily look like shit but it a lot of fun so maybe try that out
>>
>>2919637
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC3OxonJcXQ
>>
>>2919850
someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning after taking his father's pork protrusion all night long
>>
You need to be more edgy.
>>
>>2919637
I love this painting and style. Can anyone tell me who painted this?
>>
>>2920654
jablonskipiotr
>>
>>2919850
>>
>>2919637
Listen to Linkin Park.
>>
>>2919637
How? Git gud
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.