[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

post hot and skilled artists pic related Houston Sharp

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

post hot and skilled artists

pic related Houston Sharp
>>
>>2918290
hot and skilled is unfair. i hope they all die
>>
>>2918290
so is op pic suppose to be skilled?? looks like shit lol
>inb4 dunning kruger
its shit so fuck off
>>
>>2918328
>looks like shit
wow you guys really are delusional
>>
>>2918343
anon tell me exactly why you think this is good. is it the core shadows? is the shitty brush strokes? is it the dumb smug expression? or is it that its 3/4 of the way finished? do you not understand how lazy that shirt is drawn on there? the retarded shadow on the nose and eye socket? the reflected light is so fucking muddy is disgusting. that fucking ear LOL. tell me why this is even good. its so fucking boring too
>>
File: 1432769025551.jpg (3KB, 102x103px) Image search: [Google]
1432769025551.jpg
3KB, 102x103px
>>2918365

>ouch
>>
>>2918365
>or is it that its 3/4 of the way finished?
>"b-but muh Schmid"
>>
File: 1447160114183.jpg (5KB, 158x152px) Image search: [Google]
1447160114183.jpg
5KB, 158x152px
>>2918375
>>
>digital medium trying its hardest to look traditional
makes me laugh every time
>>
>>2918365
> or is it that its 3/4 of the way finished?
When will this messy brushstrokes meme die out? It's like they can't compete on pure aesthetics and spirit alone so they add some showy arbitrary elements like, "look how totally not confined to mere realistic technique I am."
>>
>>2918480
It's been a thing for a while and will continue to be. It's extremely popular in the fine art world. It works if you are as skilled as Sargent or Fechin, but nowadays people do it randomly and just copy the superficial looseness instead of understanding it fully, and just completely blow out edges for no reason. Unfortunately it appeals to people who aren't into art that much, so it garners popularity and will continue to be a thing.
>>
>>2918488
Sargent is the father of many bad and meaningless aesthetic choices in today's fine art world. It doesn't surprise me since Sargent isn't a painter who cared much about meaning in painting at all.
>>
>>2918328
>its shit so fuck off

If you can't explain why its shit, it's probably dunning kruger.
>>
>>2918498
I think Sargent made many very very good aesthetic choices though. He just happened to be one of the most technically talented artists of all time, so was able to pull off stunning work, and that dazzles people into imitating him, but they obviously can't execute it at even a tiny fraction of what he did.
>>
>>2918365
Because relatively speaking, he is way better than you.
>>
>>2918515
And relative to good artists he's shit
>>
ITT: Baiters tryna bait
>>
>>2918365
Goddamnit. Now that you mention the shadow under his nose, I can't stop looking away from it. It just looks so bad. The whole thing comes off as a poor imitation of Sean Cheetham's painting style.

Sharp isn't the worst artist out there but he definitely lacks some good understanding of the fundamentals and just covers it up with some pretty-looking brushstrokes. That ear really is too far away from where it should be.
>>
>>2918532

He's okay tier. Maybe one in 6 sketchbooks on Conceptart.org are better. Quit being an overly dramatic faggot.
>>
>>2918328
(you)
>>
>>2918500
>>2918365
i already did
>>
>>2918645

You didn't though. All of your complaints were either subjective or completely trivial.
>>
>>2918715
OK tell me why its good. this should give me a good laugh
>>
File: REPIN_portret_REPIN.jpg (136KB, 789x1000px) Image search: [Google]
REPIN_portret_REPIN.jpg
136KB, 789x1000px
ilya repin
>>
>>2918343

>guys

it's just one autist, stop being /pol/-tier retard and directly conflating it with the entirety of this board
>>
>>2918762

When did I ever say it was good? Seeing this through the lens of it having been a timed piece, I have to say that even though he didn't exaggerate his core-shadows, his values are still more or less competent. I have seen other artists key their values this way, so I will not take it away from him. As far as the nose shadow being retarded? Yeah, I agree but hey, I have no real reference to compare, it could be an enigma of lighting who the fuck knows.

If there is one thing I really dislike, it is the fact that he rendered out the face while leaving everything else daringly impressionist. It's all or nothing kind of deal, and honestly I would have liked to have seen him embrace Sargent and use more competent brushstrokes. But again, this is unfinished, everything in his messy strokes indicate that he had it in mind to bring everything to polish later on so it's hard to to really judge him on that too.
I take particular interest in the way he did the hands - I am a sucker for Phil Hale's exaggerated red extremities and I want to see more of them.

Overall, I wouldn't say that it is a terrible start or timed piece. As a finished product? Not really, but it's still coherent and there isn't much of a reason to autistically screech at it.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.