[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ic/, I want the best damned textbook on color theory you can

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: ct_1920.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ct_1920.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
/ic/, I want the best damned textbook on color theory you can get. Whatcha got for me?
>>
>>2916825
James Gurney Color and Light
>>
>>2916826
Thank, daddy
>>
>>2916830

Don't listen to him. Really don't, Gurney book is a meme that teaches nothing.

Here, grab these as best resources you can get:

http://www.huevaluechroma.com/011.php

https://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/wcolor.html

Both of these are heavily autistic and this is what you need.

Supplement it with "Color: A Workshop for Artists" by David Hornung, it is excellent book in such way that it actually proposes EXERCISES and color STUDIES that you should be doing alongside the book. 5/5 would recommend.

>b-but Gurney talks about pigments and stuff

Shut the fuck up, that info is everywhere, one of the most complete ones you have on handprint that I already linked, you can find a fuckton of watercolor and gouache pigments there:

https://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/wpaint.html

Supplement everything with "How to Render" by Scott Robertson and after getting all that knowledge wonder why are you still lazy piece of shit that doesn't fucking paint. Goddamnfuck, just do it, you learn most of it by experimentation and practice.
>>
>>2916830
>>2917101
Those are great resources, so is Gurney's book.
People on this site need to stop and understand that almost every resource will have something of value in it, and no single book/article/whatever will be perfect. Color and Light is a good starting point, and can be downloaded if you really don't want to spend money to find out. These online resources seem like a great way to deep dive into colour if op decides he needs to.
Why does everyone hate everything
>>
>>2917101
>"Color: A Workshop for Artists" by David Hornung
I'm currently reading this and it's been really helpful, seconded.
>>
>>2917108

It's because Gurney book was shilled beyond belief by bloggers sucking Gurney's dick as well on here on /ic/ for fucking forever now without a reason to. And yes, besides pretty pictures, it's just badly written book that is all over the place. If you'd wish to know more about color or light after reading that book - you won't.

Light behavior is actually probably best explained now in HueValueChroma and Robertson book, because those are the only 2 fucking resources I can think of right now that have the "sphere under pointed single one light source" depicted correctly without errors like badly placed highlight or lack of bounced light.
>>
>>2917115
It's a good introduction to the subject. You could even add it to your list of resources that have "sphere under pointed single one light source" depicted correctly, because it does(page 46, check the pdf in the book thread). Besides "pretty pictures" it gives actual applicable information besides pure theory, which it admittedly contains little of. It even has a list of other resources you should read at the back of it, which includes handprint and huevaluechroma. And I've already said it, you can download the book for free, it's in the god damn book thread, OP wouldn't need to spend shit to get it.

So stop being so mad about useful resources
>>
>>2917115
Why do you have such an irrational hatred of that book? I could understand if you said that it was overrated or not the best out there, but you're literally saying that it "teaches nothing", which is obviously not true. The first few chapters alone outline the basics pretty well.
>>
File: download.jpg (7KB, 231x218px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7KB, 231x218px
I-I already bought Gurney's book online and I just now checked back in this thread.

$25 dollars on Amazon
>>
>>2917252
Don't worry guy, it's still a good read. Just don't let it be the only book on color that you read.
>>
>>2917276
I always try to mix up my sources anyway. I've already bookmarked those other sites. Just worryed it's gonna be like poorly formatted and stuff.

Nothing worse than a poorly written textbook.
>>
>>2917276
what's your take on this book?
>>
The Gurney book just arrived today....

...i don't know. Doesn't seem to go into much depth about anything. But then again, i only flipped through it.
>>
>>2920281
looks like shit but if you think you'll gain some insight from it then by all means go for it

>>2920301
i'm not gonna defend gurney for you to justify your $25, but personally it filled in the gaps in my knowledge of color and light so it was well worth the read for me. take from it what you will and move on.
>>
>>2916826
Color and Light is shit.
>>
>>2917152
>you're literally saying that it "teaches nothing", which is obviously not true
Not that anon but the entire book is like "here's a picture I made for a commission (which I am reusing here to maximize profits), there are two sources of light here, one coming from the left and one from the right. As you can see the light is different colors and interacts with the environment.

Now I'm painting the rocks under the river. This was made for [Dinotopia book, please buy Dinotopia] I made the water transparent and then I painted the reflections on the water.

Hope this helps!!!
P.S. Please buy my instructional videos which feature the same amount of nothing but in video form

Thank you for helping me recycle my old work
Buy Dinotopia

- James Gurney
>>
>>2920347
i can see how it would be useless for an intermediate artist who already has a good grasp on lighting, but if you're a beginner who knows nothing at all about the subject, it does have its value.
>>
Learning how light works and what colors look good for artwork are two different things. Even if you could completely replicate real world lighting conditions, it wouldn't always be visually stimulating.
>>
>>2920347
Imaginative Realism is even better

> Oh I see you wanna paint a dinosaur from imagination
> Well first of all we gotta sculpt a dinosaur from clay
> I'll make a trip to the local dinosaur museum and borrow the Parasaurolophus skeleton for reference
> Here, I sculpted the dinosaur maquette
> then I take a helicopter to the Amazon Rainforest
> [helicopter picture w/ James showing his latest Dinotopia™ book]
> Here we are! I make friends with the chief of the local tribe Umbutumbuntu
> Here's a portrait I took of him
> [Portrait of Umbutumbuntu]
> I also sold him a copy of Dinotopia™
> Anyway I found a nice spot here in the Amazon Rainforest and took a photo
> Then I fly back home
> [Pic of local tribe cheering while wearing Dinotopia™ merch and Art Dept. patches]
> I hang the Parasaurolophus I sculpted before with a nylon thread [--> Amazon link if you wanna buy it] in front of the picture of the Amazon Rainforest

> I copy everything sight size
> And here we have a great dinosaur illustration from imagination!
>>
File: david-briggs-cliffs-at-coogee.jpg (82KB, 800x396px) Image search: [Google]
david-briggs-cliffs-at-coogee.jpg
82KB, 800x396px
>>2917101
>http://www.huevaluechroma.com/011.php

All that technical knowledge yet his use of colors in his actual work is mediocre at best. Pic related is his work.
>>
>>2920360
How am I supposed to have faith in anything when all online teachers are garbage?
>>
>>2920351
kek
>>
>>2920351
You made me laugh out loud.
>>
>>2920351
lmaoing
>>
>>2920351

5/5 , everything here is the truth.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.