[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sculpture

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

got minimal art skills, wanna get into sculpting; red pill me on how to start and do and do nots
>>
>>2914140
>red pill
digital or traditional sculpting?
>>
traditional, can't afford virtual to be honest
>>
>>2914146
There's such a thing as digital sculpting?

You learn something new every day.

>>2914140
A good (if frustrating and messy) way to start out is papier mache over a wire armature. It takes long enough that you really have to think about what you're doing. It'll almost always come out looking kind of shitty, but that's okay. Focus on what you learned about shape along the way.

After papier mache, or if you want to skip papier mache altogether, give polymer clay a go. Again, a wire armature and tin foil to bulk your shapes out help a lot before you start putting clay on. This way your work doesn't become too heavy, and you don't use too much clay making shapes that you could have filled out with scrunched up tin foil.

After you get those down, there's this fancy stuff you melt in a pot and then apply slowly, but I've forgotten what it's called.

Also, sculpture can lead you into sewing toys and making mounts for taxidermied animals.

Avoid real clay that you have to fire to get the final example because you've actually got to be pretty good to make anything decent, and there are weird rules like leaving air holes, and you need to have a kiln on hand, and the whole thing is messy.

Also, sculpting in stone with a chisel and a hammer is awesome, but start with soft wood first. You won't skin your knuckles nearly as much.
>>
>>2914163
You can also try that quick air drying clay, which also does well over a wire armature, but I always found it furstrating because it dried before I was finished.

Polymer clay stays malleable until you cook it in the oven and you don't have to get water involved.
>>
thanks! that was really informative! gonna start tomorrow.. thanks again
>>
>>2914172
You can make papier mache paste out of flour and water, and it will last a while if you put it in the fridge between uses, though I've preferred slightly watered down PVA for a while now.

If you're doing papier mache, use old newspapers if you have them available just because they're cheap and easy to tear into strips. Do the last two layers of paper in white printer paper, which is easier to paint over if you're going to paint your work. You should have a minimum of 6 layers of paper for strength.
>>
>>2914162
For traditional, I would say polymer clay sculpting is the most forgiving. You typically start with a wire armature which constitutes the "bone structure" of a sculpt, this is screwed into a base . You can use tinfoil to bulk out the armature then just add and carve the polymer clay until you get what you want.
It's pretty cheap, easy to sculpt, easy to bake/paint and will give you pretty good results. You'll need to buy some sculpting tools, things like probes and flat tools.
There are some really good traditional sculptors on twitch creative which would help you get an idea of the workflow.

As far as the principals of 3d goes, it's especially necessary to think about the primary, secondary,and tertiary forms. You also will want to think about the primary forms contrasting each other (basic gesture stuff). Keep changing your view of the sculpture, you want to know what it looks like from all angles since it's hard to assess how large a form is in an orthoganal plane from your reference. Also be very aware of how your forms intersect otherwise your sculpt will look blobby. Very importantly, sculpt the way things in reality work, not so much a projection of what you see. For example, when you sculpt a human eye. You want to create a cavity, push a ball for the eye into the cavity, then add the eyelids over top of it. This will looks much better than if you tried to carve out an eye from the head.

>>2914163
>not know about digital sculpting
How did you think 3d models were made?
>>
>>2914183
I'm a little vague about what you mean by 3d models.
>>
File: cf73099aaa339ea7f57ca7dcdc36f636.jpg (315KB, 1920x768px) Image search: [Google]
cf73099aaa339ea7f57ca7dcdc36f636.jpg
315KB, 1920x768px
>>2914186
How did you think something like nathan drake or groot was made?
>>
>>2914186
Zbrush and Mudbox are two example of digital sculpting tools. They're specfically designed with tools that allow you to manipulate primitive meshes (like spheres) as though they were simulated clay.
>>
>>2914189
Oh, like for the GCI in movies. Gotcha. I understand now. Probably won't go digital any time soon. Not in my interest range. I like a final physical product myself, and to shape things with my hands. Even if I cut myself with the chisel or scrape all my knuckles raw on Oamaru stone from time to time.

>who is nathan drake?
>>
Should you master figure drawing first before moving to sculpture?
>>
>>2914384
no
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.