[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

Acrylic to Oil

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0009.jpg (142KB, 1024x981px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0009.jpg
142KB, 1024x981px
I've been using acrylics for a while now for painting, but I want to move to oil since it doesn't dry as quickly. What am I in for?
>>
>>2914111
>What am I in for?
A world of hell.

Source: I fucking hate oils.
>>
>>2914113
how so? Why do you call it hell?
>>
>>2914113
Haha I second this.

Look, they're more expensive, but see if you can find those water soluble oil paints. They finish about the same, keep texture, take as long to dry, but you get to skip the turpentine completely.

Turpentine is horrific. Even the "odourless" turpentine can give you a headache within 20 minutes if the room you're in isn't ventilated well enough. If you're using the genuine, reeking article, have fun staying coherent long enough to paint anything.

Turps aside, oils are pretty fun to play with and then paint with. There's so many different ways to paint with them!
>>
>>2914123
They're just hard to control since they keep blending and they very easily make a mess. If you get any on your hand it will end up on your shirt, and once it's on your shirt it will end up on your seat or your jacket and then to other things.

In my opinion oils need a bit more instruction than other media at the start to help get over some of its weird quirks and learn to control it.
>>
>>2914111
oils feel buttery and delicious, but don't eat them ;)

Above poster does not know what they are talking about.
>>
>>2914142
Oh, there are a couple of rules with oils I should mention. Thin paint goes underneath. Layers of thicker paint should be applied over top. Thin paint applied over thick is inclined to crack and crumble off the canvas.

If you're doing a mixed acrylic/oil piece, acrylic goes underneath because it will also crack and flake off of oil paint if painted over top.

You can paint in washes, or you can paint with a palette knife, or you can paint by just using thick paint from the get-go. Some colours take longer to dry than others for some reason. Titanium white is one of them, but I can't remember the others. Depending on how thick you paint something, and the colours you use, you may be waiting days or weeks for a piece to dry. Make sure you have a safe place to put drying canvases.
>>
>>2914177
Away from cats. Far away from cats. Cats and oil paints, even non-toxic ones, are a terrible terrible mix and you should avoid having the two anywhere near each other if at all possible.
>>
Personally I prefer oil over acrylic. Some parts you will have to wait a while till you can go over it, at least in my experience. I enjoy blending colors in both mediums, but something about oil was just better for me. It is annoying to clean, which is the only thing that bothered me.
>>
Ive never used real oil paints, but I've used the water soluble ones quite a bit and I've hardly ever made a mess, they're a little harder to find, but if you get them it's nice because you can wash your brushes with water and dish soap.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
On the left, paints are stored in a mesh file holder inside a magazine rack. This makes them a little easier to throw into a backpack.
>>
>>2914738
I've broken a rule, painting thinly over thick paint. I just paint and repaint these canvas boards so it doesn't have to last long. The skin tone isn't whipped up yet either, so Bill is looking a little warmed over.
>>
>>2914742

The anon who mentions painting thick over thin misinterpreted the "fat over lean" rule; you can certainly paint thinner layers over thicker layers, as long as the paint itself contains more oil than the layer underneath. Hell, glazes basically are very thin but very fat layers and you do glazing last.
>>
>>2915289
Yeah, I'm sure that I've used more oil underneath than over here though.
>>
>>2915289
It's not necessarily more oil on the top that is the rule, but rather that the layer on top ought to be more flexible than the one below it.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.