[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I render smoke

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

How do I render smoke
>>
>>2912518
Every artist handles it differently. Find a couple people who do it in a way that you like and try to understand what decisions they are making. Then look at real smoke and try to break it down in a similar way.
>>
any tutorials, books?
>>
>>2912518
>step 1 : sketch smoke
>step 2 : render smoke
>>
>>2912518
>man flies through air from the force of his own farts
>>
>>2912693
epic
>>
>>2912698
kek
>>
Liquefy tool
>>
>>2912518
a combination of hard and soft edges
>>
Draw shape of smoke. Clip another layer to shape layer and render forms. Repeat steps for each smoke trail. Blend everything at the end
>>
File: smokes.jpg (81KB, 945x760px) Image search: [Google]
smokes.jpg
81KB, 945x760px
>>2912771
this and smudge for blending works quick.
then again, this >>2912524
maybe check out animation fx for form and composition and for rendering def look at refs.
play with different opacities and edges.
>>
How do I render like this guy, what's the secret?
>>
>>2912975
>what's the secret?
There is no secret. He just has good values, shapes, and edges, and knows which areas need detail and which don't. I guess you could call the secret "experience". He's not doing any magic, he's just doing basic things at a high level.
>>
>>2912975
He's got a video on gumroad, you should look at that if you're really interested. I've watched it and the "secret" to his rendering is that he takes a long time and add lots of colour variation and detail to his paintings. Basically, he's got lots of experience.
>>
File: Smoke-Steps.jpg (515KB, 1892x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Smoke-Steps.jpg
515KB, 1892x1200px
Here's my process for rendering smoke
>>
>>2913017
wheres the smoke?
>>
File: po_ms-tio-med.jpg (735KB, 850x556px) Image search: [Google]
po_ms-tio-med.jpg
735KB, 850x556px
>>2912518

Study the shapes that smoke creates and don't necessarily use a soft brush when you lay it in. A common beginner mistake is to treat things like smoke and clouds as if they are a bunch of random airbrush blobs. Be VERY specific about the shape and design it to push the gesture, volume and composition. Obviously the thicker the smoke the firmer and more defined the shape and shadows will be, but even thin smoke with soft edges have very distinct patterns.
>>
How do you paint in GENERAL? Color and Light is next to useless. Painting is the only skill I gotten into with next to no help on how to do it
>>
>>2913062
It's literally the same as drawing except now you have colour.
>>
>>2912975
hard edges
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.