[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this stuff any good?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9

File: g3431.jpg (268KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
g3431.jpg
268KB, 1200x1600px
So i really like Akira Toriyama's traditional color work and was wondering what he used to make them. After some reading i found out he used a coloring ink called "Luma" that has apparently been discontinued by the manufacturer.

I'm now being told that "Dr.ph.Martin's Bombay India Ink" is the next best thing, so i was wondering if any of the denizens of /ic/ had any experience with the stuff and could elaborate on whether this product is all it's cracked up to be for coloring.
>>
I use it as my main medium, and I really love it. It's got great rich saturation and blends really nicely, and even though there are loads of color options, the color variation you get from just the primaries is more than enough. The red and blue primaries mixed together make a nice true purple as well.

The golden yellow is almost required if you want warmer yellows though, but to make a true chartreuse you need the standard yellow.

My only complaint is that if you lay the ink too thick it can dry "shiny" and plastic instead of matte. That can be avoided with some practice though. The biggest challenge is working with large, blended washes quickly, because unlike watercolor it does not forgive and forget.
>>
>>2910521
Thanks for the info.
>>
>>2910521
Do you know how they compare to the pebeo color inks?
>>
>>2910488
>"Dr.ph.Martin's Bombay India Ink"
I heard they're not really archival and fade

>>2910521
is this true?
>>
File: g577.jpg (320KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
g577.jpg
320KB, 1200x1600px
I haven't used Bombay and it would probably would, but Luma inks were actually concentrated dyes. The Bombay inks are pigmented.

Ergo, the best approximation of them would probably be the Dr Martins Radiant Concentrated dyes, or their Synchromatic Transparent line (which is similar but less intense and with a different color range).

These dyes are very finicky to use and control, as they spread and bleed, but they're super vibrant and transparent so they're perfect for cartooning work. They were the industry standard for coloring comics before the computer age, but they remain popular with tattooists for coloring flash.

Ecoline is another brand of these kinds of paints that's popular.
>>
File: 1489023776617.jpg (2MB, 1996x2842px) Image search: [Google]
1489023776617.jpg
2MB, 1996x2842px
Here's a good example of Toriyama's color work. It's a good example because it's of high enough resolution that you can see how the inks dried. Every layer he put down has a hard edge, it's the same way the Dr Martins dyes behave. Very tricky to use without them bleeding into each other.
>>
File: 1488737708743.jpg (1MB, 2228x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1488737708743.jpg
1MB, 2228x1500px
Moar
>>
>>2911336
jesus christ he can't even draw his own characters. he must've been really sick of DBZ by that time even though it made him a billionaire
>>
I never understood the appeal of Toriyama, even as a kid. Everything is just so fugly.
>>
>>2911468
I thought the early dragonball stuff looked pretty nice, plus the story seems more "fun" than what happened later on with Z and everything after.
>>
>>2911453

What do you mean?

>>2911468

His art is fun.
>>
>>2911033
>I heard they're not really archival and fade
Could you post more info? The opposite opinion is more common, so I'm curious about a failed lightfast test
>>
>>2911112
You can make the same effect with copics
>>
>>2911568

You can get the same style of coloring, and a lot easier, but it won't have the same look as real dyes. You don't get the hard edges with Copics, nor do you get the same rolling tones. But markers get you 90% of the way there and are way more practical.
>>
File: db.jpg (75KB, 564x528px) Image search: [Google]
db.jpg
75KB, 564x528px
>>2911468
>Everything is just so fugly
not op but I love his stuff, I find him actually underrated especially with the "same face" criticism. I'll take him over Inoue any day. Such clear drawings, fun designs, expressive characters. He's rightfully the king of manga
>>
File: tumblr_lvqs037eVY1qcwcwdo3_1280.jpg (58KB, 800x543px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lvqs037eVY1qcwcwdo3_1280.jpg
58KB, 800x543px
>>2911594
Not to mention well rounded. Aside from maybe Yusuke Murata, i can't think of anyone in shonen manga that has been able to match him in mechanical designs. Total magic man when he wants to be.
>>
>>2911568
A full set of copics is usually more expensive.
>>
>>2912423
I love this. 90s a f.
>>
>>2912425

Absolutely. A bottle of concentrated dye costs about as much as a marker, and a single bottle can last years or even decades because it's so highly concentrated. And of course you can mix and dilute to get the shade you want rather than buying a marker.
>>
File: ecoline-swatches.jpg (378KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
ecoline-swatches.jpg
378KB, 800x534px
So good
>>
>>2912634
What is the preferred brad for this stuff or dose it not really matter?
>>
File: 9381382_orig.jpg (260KB, 1066x800px) Image search: [Google]
9381382_orig.jpg
260KB, 1066x800px
>>2912702

Dr Ph. Martins Radiant Concentrated is the standard. I believe it was the Synchromatic Transparent line that was used for comic books but it's been supplanted by the Radiant line by anyone doing that kind of work, as well as tattoo flash.

The Ecoline I posted is also popular, particularly the red. I see a lot of artists use Martins for most colors with Ecoline for red.
>>
>>2912758
Thanks again for all the info. Most helpful.
>>
>>2913222

No problem.

You can also get very good results from the Dr Ph Martin Hydrus lines. They're liquid but they use premium quality pigments, so they're an alternative to tube or pan watercolors. They're highly concentrated and easy to work with, and both permanent and lightfast as well.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.