[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to complete a piece?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: unfinished forever.jpg (63KB, 578x405px) Image search: [Google]
unfinished forever.jpg
63KB, 578x405px
Unfinished pieces

Pretty much 99% of the shit I do is unfinished. I don't think I spent more than a few hours on a single piece, I get tired of ideas quickly
Now the question is, should I even bother posting those here? I mean I already know that the leg is wrong and the pose might be wrong and that there isn't enough detail in certain areas (for example), others telling me that would be stating the obvious because I wasn't willing to put actual work to finish the piece for real critique

Maybe the better question is how to push for a finished piece. I'm sure my sketches are all wrong too, and that asking for critique in the process will benefit me, but it seems like can't go through the process of working on the same thing for a long period of time. Anyone feels the same? Or had the same problem and overcame it?
>>
You don't know how to finish pieces because you haven't tried. Go for it, you'll make mistakes and you'll learn from those what works and what doesn't.

I had the same issue and that is how I overcame it. When you think you're done, spend another hour on it, or wait three days and come back to it and work in it some more.
>>
>>2909822
It's hard to say without posting your work. A few hours is nothing for an illustration when you're a nublet. You do need to push things to the extreme to know just how far that limit is.

If you're struggling with the sketch part, that really isn't a finishing problem desu...probably a foundation problem...that iterative part is like 75% of the "work" and generally easy, the finishing part is the last leg and it's the real struggle. Source, did illustration for clients during the whole mobile TCG boom, always considered finishing a weakness of mine btw.
>>
>>2909822
There's not much we can say really. Honestly the only way to finish things is to...finish them. You'll need to just force yourself to sit down and do the work. It sucks, but it's the only way.

I also don't enjoy finishing pieces and mostly only do it when I get paid. A few tricks that might help:
-put on some good music or a podcast. Some people use audiobooks but I can't focus on both listening and painting.
-take lots of breaks and if possible don't try to do it all in one day, but rather do a small amount of work each day consistently over a longer period of time so you always have fresh eyes and avoid "noodling"
-try to enjoy the process, maybe find a specific thing in it you can enjoy and have fun with ("I'm going to really NAIL these materials" or "I will make these background plants look incredible")
-use timers if you need to. Set a timer for X amount of time and sit and work on it while the timer is ticking. Even setting a timer for 15 minutes of work is fine, and often you will work way longer. The hard part is usually starting, not the actual doing. You can also set tasks, like put a timer on for an hour and work specifically on the face for that time, then at the end of the hour set the timer again and work on a new part of the image. This makes you more decisive and keeps you from fiddling ad infinitum.
-not that healthy, but I like to buy snacks like candy if I know I need to put in long hours on a piece. It makes it a bit more pleasurable to snack and work, and it acts as a reward for putting myself through the pain of it all.
-if you are ever lost and don't know how to improve or work further on an area, spend a bit of time finding some good reference images
>>
>>2909822

For me its so easy to get tired at a piece. Like, do any of you have a moment where you finish planning composition and and refining sketch, and you already KNOW hows its gunna turn out and then it just gets less exciting for you? The piece would then be a chore for me to finish because i set expectation for it. What worked best for me is to just focus on what Im currently doing and not think too much, and just let it naturally take over and allow myself to be surprised at the result.
>>
>>2909822
They say you never finish a piece, you just stop at a point you're happy with.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.