[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pros deciding to teach

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1366193461_cover.jpg (71KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1366193461_cover.jpg
71KB, 500x667px
I've noticed that a lot of the pros who used to work in games, films et al have decided to teach online instead.

So what's the deal? They can't find work?
>>
The skilled always gravitate towards where the most money is at. Teaching art has become very lucrative while salary for games, animation and film has stayed roughly the same.
>>
>>2908951
I have yet to make it and I already feel the urge to teach

maybe that's what they wanted to do all along and working on games was only what they could do a the time
>>
>>2908951
I don't think that many have switched entirely to teaching. You're probably looking at guys who put out the occasional gumroad video to supplement their main job at a studio, or maybe some old industry veterans who feel it's their duty to pass along knowledge to the next generation by doing demos at events and things, but they too still are usually working normally.
>>
>>2908951
You make one tutorial and it becomes a passive income. Make a bunch of them, write an e-book and sell it on your website. If there's a decent portfolio next to it, it's a pretty sweet recipe.

>>2908956
I feel the same, but it's probably because teaching is a skill on its own. If you have a talent for it, you should build upon that predisposition.
>>
>>2908951
Just like that animator school image that gets posted around. The skill will die out because no one teaches it. Luckily there are people who are willing to step up to the job and teach so that doesn't happen.
>>
A lot of them really enjoy teaching.
>>
>>2909114
I would too if they weren't as dumb as some people on /ic/
>>
>>2908951

They caught on that it's a passive income train. Say you put 20 products at $10 a pop and by the end of the year you have 1200 purchases in total. In 5 years you'll have enough to buy yourself a home.

This worked for people back in 2013 when teaching programming was the secret goldrush. Now you can look up articles of people who have retired just by selling bootcamps to teach programming. It was the right place at the right time for them.

Unfortunately for these pros they're a little too late as the bubble burst a while ago. They'll still make bread but not that much.
>>
>>2909149
>Unfortunately for these pros they're a little too late as the bubble burst a while ago
I'm laughing at the guys who left their nice studio jobs because they could make more off their gumroads. Definitely will be regretting it within the next couple years.
>>
>>2909170
leave for teaching? who in their right minds...
>>
>>2909173
>tfw a teacher can draw whatever they want
>actually they can do whatever the hell they want and still get paid
>also get to influence other people's lives and see their improvement
Living the dream really
>>
>>2908951

It's probably cause teaching is a more stable source of money, more scheduled and less stressful. They probably want to spent more time with their kids or some shit.
>>
It's a super popular thing to do in korea for game concept art, getting live feedback while you draw on the computer, with the lecturer giving occasional lectures inbetween. It was mostly a portfolio class where the instruction shat all over your work though, it was great.
>>
>>2909427

Fuck, Not in english, right?
>>
>>2909432
not in english, no.

It was only 500 a month and you could go in and out of the studio whenever you wanted, the industry pros show up for four or five hours and rotate around, the most famous guy that came to the studio was the lead artist for the Lineage series.
>>
>>2909434
I forgot to mention it was live studio, you had to go on-site to take the class. You can get from one side of korea to the other in a few hours by train so it's not bad, and these art studios are literally everywhere, set up by pros.
>>
>>2908951
It's more lucrative for them
>>
File: 1373589596314.png (112KB, 224x220px) Image search: [Google]
1373589596314.png
112KB, 224x220px
>>2909434
>only 500 a month
>only
>>
The guy I know who switched to teaching said it was less stressful. Also, his popularity declined after about a decade. He said he doesn't feel sad about it (desu I think he could still do freelance if he wanted; he's insanely skilled). Teaching isn't as demanding or fast paced. It's steady, you can learn more skills by teaching them, and you can have time for your personal art.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.