[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Advice, Worst Advice.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 16

File: couragewolf.jpg (433KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
couragewolf.jpg
433KB, 1920x1080px
ITT: The best and the worst advice you have heard and heeded.

Best Advice I took
> Be a tight ass when it comes to placing lines.
> Move from the arm, not the wrist.
> Use live models and photos as references.
These get repeated a lot, but if you are not doing this already, just do it and just see the difference in your work!

Worst Advice I heard
> The Manga style is almost entirely used for androgynous male characters, female characters and children.
From ImagineFX How To Draw and Paint Manga. I leave you to figure out if or how it's wrong.

Worst Advice that I actually took and wasted my time on
> Doing the kind of exercises in Drawing on the right side of the brain.
Her concept of turning on the "right side" is actually good advice (gotta quit that symbol drawing), but I can't figure out why the exercises didn't help me improve at all. I actually almost gave up drawing because of that.
>>
File: 1488579349207.jpg (118KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1488579349207.jpg
118KB, 768x1024px
>>2901166
>Worst Advice I heard
>> The Manga style is almost entirely used for androgynous male characters, female characters and children.
>From ImagineFX How To Draw and Paint Manga. I leave you to figure out if or how it's wrong.

Kek nice burn from imaginefx

>Worst Advice that I actually took and wasted my time on
>Doing the kind of exercises in Drawing on the right side of the brain.

I'm scared that Keys to Drawing will do this to me. It seems way to "beginner" and I don't now if I should skip pages or just not even read it
>>
>>2901479
Keys to drawing is not strict at all in its methods.

I felt it had a kind of a "Bob Ross effect" on me where I felt it's okay to be loose and just draw and not worry about perfection.
>>
>>2901494
Did it help you?
>>
>best advice
>Keep it simple

>worst advice
>kys

the worst advice did not help me at all.
>>
Best advice I've heard and followed is

>copy other artists when you're stuck or can't come up with anything else.

It's more-so good for late blooming artists because copying other people is exactly what many kids and young teens do when they're growing up, but what people who start drawing as adults probably wont do. It will help you build confidence, design and shape language sense, and generally grant you mileage.

Later I found this same advice in a 1400 century book by Cennino Cennini

>take pains and pleasure in constantly copying the best things which you can find done by the hand of great masters. And if you are in a place where many good masters have been, so much the better for you. But I give you this advice: take care to select the best one every time, and the one who has the greatest reputation. And, as you go on from day to day, it will be against nature if you do not get some grasp of his style and of his spirit. For if you undertake to copy after one master today and after another one tomorrow, you will not acquire the style of either one or the other, and you will inevitably, through enthusiasm, become capricious, because each style will be distracting your mind. You will try to work in this man's way today, and in the other's tomorrow, and so you will not get either of them right. If you follow the course of one man through constant practice, your intelligence would have to be crude indeed for you not to get some nourishment from it. Then you will find, if nature has granted you any imagination at all, that you will eventually acquire a style individual to yourself, and it cannot help being good; because your hand and your mind, being always accustomed to gather flowers, would ill know how to pluck thorns.

and especially the part about limiting your masters to as few as possible, if possible, is something I've been following for half a year now I'd say and I think it has helped me a lot.

The worst advice I've heard is the opposite of above
>>
>>2901495
I went through it very early on, so it' hard to say, but I feel like it did loosen me up and made me worry less about perfection (in a good way).
>>
>>2901166
Best:
"What is this a case of?" Art teacher I had who always asked that question when you worked on something. Made you think about why you actually did it and not just why you thought you did it. If that makes sense..
"boxes lol"
"Draw a pine tree" *drew something like pic related* "You do know that a pine's branches points upwards at the top, right?" That's when I understood what symbol drawing was.

Worst:
"Draw the hands behind the back or in pockets lulz". Fuck you Anton for making 12 year old me skip hand-day for years.
>>
>>2901503
Which artists are you copying, anon?
>>
>>2901557
Yoshinari Yoh
>>
File: Vagabond_Sumi_p085.png (373KB, 1203x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Vagabond_Sumi_p085.png
373KB, 1203x1600px
>>2901558
How are you absorbing his artstyle?

I want to draw like this.
>>
>>2901562
When I copy, I don't do "mental tracing", meaning that I don't try to make a replica.

Mostly I copy his rough sketches because I think those are the most valuable, and therefore I also keep my sketches rough. I look at the sketch and start drawing it the same way I would normally draw, starting with a light rough gesture/layout (you know, circle shape for the head or something), and then I start sketching it out, looking at the reference when the vision of what I'm drawing runs out or when I don't know how to draw something.

My "style" does resemble him a little but probably not enough for anyone to go "hey that guy studies Yoshinari Yoh" (might just be my skill level though).
>>
>>2901503
How do you go about choosing the right artists to copy?
>>
>>2901598
Choose the artists whose work is in a direction you want to go in. If you are getting into animation then look at the top Disney artists or maybe some big names from Japan. If you want to get into classical art then maybe look at some academic artists from the 19th century or whatever you prefer.
>>
>>2901598
Someone who you aspire to be more like, someone that has a lot of work (especially rough work) out for grabs so you're not limited.
>>
File: cwsketch.jpg (140KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
cwsketch.jpg
140KB, 1000x563px
>>2901166
Best, probably
>use construction lines
>do not try to draw manga or anime style or whatever unless you've firmly grasped human anatomy first
>when you're painting on real paper not on the computer, paint the background first

Worst
>

I can't think of a worst right now.
>>
>>2901795
>when you're painting on real paper not on the computer, paint the background first

What, why not also on computer?

Also did you struggle to draw the wolf?
>>
>>2901917
You can cheat on the computer. You can't cheat on paper.
>>
I dont get the whole "draw from the arms, not wrists" thing

This only works if im drawing on a hugeass paper or doing big gestures, how the fuck do you do that when detailing?
>>
>>2901938
practice. p.s. if you have "hugeass paper" its best to draw with your entire body
keep your arm still and walk around the paper to make your strokes
>>
I don't think it translates well into text but instead of asking
>How do I paint X?
ask instead
>How do *I* paint X? (i.e. How would I go about painting X using what i know?)

It's not so much about copying, but being able to get the same result with what you already use.
using the same exact process for drawing/painting that you'd use for studying, and vice versa.
>>
>>2901960
That's something that is hard to answer because we don't know how YOU paint. It's the whole problem with training artists, is that we have no idea what you're thinking. But I guess if people were honest and actually posted a lot of their work and told us what they knew, then yeah, they would get help, really good help. And maybe a few more book recommendations.
>>
>>2901166
>be curious
>be open minded
>write down your goals (on paper) for each day, week, month, year
>set priorities for your goals (A list for each day tasks)

John Cage quote

"A quiet mind is a mind that is free of its likes and dislikes. You can become narrow-minded, literally, by only liking certain things, and disliking others. But you can become openminded, literally, by giving up your likes and dislikes and becoming interested in things."
>>
File: 1359582106117.jpg (41KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
1359582106117.jpg
41KB, 375x375px
>>2902030
>John Cage
>>
>>2902030
>literally
>literally

Fuck you John
>>
>>2902030
>"A quiet mind is a mind that is free of its likes and dislikes. You can become narrow-minded, literally, by only liking certain things, and disliking others. But you can become openminded, literally, by giving up your likes and dislikes and becoming interested in things."

Cool that's me. I will make it!!!
>>
>>2902030
What's the difference between like and interest?
>>
>>2902058
Do you like lolis and vore now anon?
>>
>>2901917
The wolf is shit because I was rushing. I did it in 7 minutes. I didn't struggle. I half-assed it.

It's more important when you're not painting on the computer for a couple of reasons.

If you paint the subject and foreground first and background last, unless you're super precise, you're going to paint over what you've already done by accident, and I personally find it's a hassle to go back and repaint.

And apparently it's harder to get the colour and contrast and stuff correct if you do the subject first. On a canvas, you can't just alter the brightness/contrast or levels or whatever without an enormous amount of repainting.

This is for oils and acrylics, that kind of thing. if you're using watercolours the whole game changes. But generally you work from the back to the front.
>>
File: fag.jpg (262KB, 800x619px) Image search: [Google]
fag.jpg
262KB, 800x619px
I don't believe in advice. Humans have a serious case of "Do as a I say not as I do." It's not even intentional evil. We have neurological issues connecting our actions with our ideals.

Instead, I have antiexamples and contradictions.

Antiexamples are artists that fuck up so bad that you just have to do the opposite of what they did. People like Andrew Dobson. They are like heroes that step on a landmine so that the rest of us can safely cross the field. There are also sites with horror stories like http://artists-beware.livejournal.com/ or https://twitter.com/forexposure_txt . How not to fail is not the same as winning. Studying failure is important too.

Contradictions, when really good Pro artists tell you one thing and do another.
They tell you that you able to work without anatomical reference, but they have expensive 3dtotalfigures sitting right by their monitors, and hundreds of GB of anatomical photos that they use constantly with adobe bridge.
They tell you not to copy other artists even though they remix others' work all the time.
They tell you tips to present your portfolio even though they were hired because they were friends with an employee.
They talk about mastering perspective from imagination but use premade 3D grids extensively.

This is not because they are evil. But action is too abstruse to sum up in theories and rules. Otherwise we would have made a formula for drawing centuries ago.So I only trust seeing the artists work in real time (speed paintings can be faked) AND seeing them work IRL. You can hide all kind of things in internet videos.

When you have the rare chance of seeing one of your idols working in real life, and they mess up something that you have mastered, you will no longer trust advice or tutorials again.
>>
>>2902212
This really got me thinking about how I always work towards an ideal and never read it. Yet, I tell other people to try to reach an ideal that may not be reachable either. I guess, it's because I don't know if you can reach it or not unless you try.

But yeah, it is true, there's just simply too much to life to explain every little detail, so we usually just sum it up in a belief or something. Easily digestible.

Although, your last sentence is a scary thing, because you can't not trust anything ever again. It will happen, but you need a rope to pull yourself back up. It happened to me and I couldn't even trust myself. The conditioning was too strong and it constantly haunts me every single day. The world is also too full of lies because honesty is punished. Who's telling the truth and who isn't? What's real and what's fantasy? I don't know.
>>
>>2902037
I respect his ideas, but his music is a garbage and only exists because his ego is bigger than his creativity.
>>
File: 1488216331610.jpg (66KB, 419x249px) Image search: [Google]
1488216331610.jpg
66KB, 419x249px
>>2902099
Funny you mentioned vore because i'm into it
>>
>>2902285
fucking gross lol
>>
Best:
>Think in 3d

Worst:
>Copy from photographs (emphasis on COPY)
>>
>>2901166
Best:
>discipline trumps motivation

Worst:
>it's okay if you don't feel like drawing! take a break whenever you want! take care of yourself! :)
>>
>>2902427
>it's okay if you don't feel like drawing! take a break whenever you want! take care of yourself! :)
Take my advice already you piece of shit
>>
Best advice:
>Read the sticky

Worst Advice
>Read the sticky
>>
>best advice
describe into words what you are trying to draw

worst advice
just draw

for somebody who drawing and thinking are the same thing, the second advice might work. But for me, which I spend so many years in school brainlessly human-copying art from the artbook, that was counter productive cuz it put me in the same mindset
>>
>>2902467
>worst advice
>just draw

I agree with this.
Spent years drawing nearly everyday and understanding the idea of the comfort zone and trying to get out of it, but I never really improved as well or NEARLY as efficiently as I have when I was focused on what to draw and why.
>>
>best
Enjoy what you do, don't get distracted by money, you're in this field because it's what you love, if you wanted money you would have become an engineer

>worst
Don't draw from imagination until you can draw perfectly from reference -proko
>>
>>2901503
I want to copy Akihiko Yoshida. Do I just get images of his art and copy them while studying how he uses lines, shading etc, and incorporate elements of his style into my own work?
>>
>>2902704
Collect his work as much as possible and refer back to them when you're stuck or feel uncertain about how to approach with your piece.

In addition you can just straight up copy his stuff as a warm up for example.

>>2902467
>worst advice
>just draw
The point of "just draw" isn't that it's better to spend your time drawing something insignificant and useless, than to not draw at all.

Sometimes you have moments where you can't figure out what to draw, and in those moments it's better to "Just draw" something than to sit there and wait for the perfect thing.
>>
>>2902770
>The point of "just draw" isn't that

Typo: The point of "just draw" IS that.
>>
>>2901503
Anybody else have experience of how you can take someone else's stule/whatever and make it part of your own?
>>
>>2902467
>>best advice
>describe into words what you are trying to draw

good stuff
>>
>>2902212
what does this comic mean
>>
File: Dreaming_by_mjranum_stock.jpg (850KB, 2742x3634px) Image search: [Google]
Dreaming_by_mjranum_stock.jpg
850KB, 2742x3634px
worst advice: just grind fundamentals, don't do anything personal or creative because you don't have the skill to make it good.

best advice: fucking TAKE BREAKS and STRETCH YOUR ARM, PRACTICE GOOD POSTURE AND DON'T HUNCH OVER YOUR WORK FOR HOURS ON END.

THIS IS IMPORTANT /IC/ you guys have helped me a lot in the past so this is my golden advice to you. Don't ignore the warnings about taking care of yourself, I developed tendonitis because I didn't listen and now I can't draw for like a week. It's the worst feeling ever. Your body is important, please take care of it. Exercise every day and don't eat a bunch of shit. Brush your fucking teeth. These things will come and bite you in the ass if you don't pay attention to them, and then drawing will be twice as difficult because your body won't cooperate with you.

Sorry for the rant, I just want to warn you because I'm sitting here with absolutely nothing to fucking do and if I can prevent anyone else from making the same mistake then at least that's something.
>>
>>2901479
lol right side is a great book for a beginner, people are actually so fucking stupid. I went through the book as a complete beginner and was actually really happy with what I was drawing after I finished, even though it was still awful the book is amazing. You're probably just a retard that spent less than 5 hours total on the book and it's exercises.
>>
>>2901499
>the worst advice did not help me at all
Did you even try it though?
>>
>>2902770
>>2902773
this.
>>
>>2902099
I don't like or dislike lolis and vore, but I am interested by them.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-02-20-14h53m42s414.png (881KB, 1920x802px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-02-20-14h53m42s414.png
881KB, 1920x802px
>>2904802
I'm having terrible pain in my shoulder from drawing/gaming too much so I completely agree with you. Physical exercise is completely underrated. Better move around and make that blood rush once in a while.
>>
>>2901166

Best Advice:

Don't listen to anyone else. Given by me. My drawings always improve when I stop listening to other people's advice and just figure shit out by myself. I already know how to draw it's just a matter of proving it to myself.

Worst Advice:

Listen to other people's advice. Given by other people. My drawings got worse and I almost forgot how to draw by taking everyone else's advice on how to draw thinking it was noble or some bullshit. Worst mistake of my life, picked up a lot of bad drawing habits by taking other people's advice.

In general this is true for most things. People only tell you things that benefit themselves, i.e. they will only give you advice that makes you worse at drawing so they can get better while you waste your time. No one will ever give you the right answer or good advice. You can't trust anyone and you have to trust yourself.
>>
>>2904802
>worst advice: just grind fundamentals, don't do anything personal or creative because you don't have the skill to make it good.
this
>>
File: yoshinari fx copy.gif (3MB, 600x486px) Image search: [Google]
yoshinari fx copy.gif
3MB, 600x486px
>>2901558
Good taste I copy his stuff too, even some of his animations. I think I'm learning a lot from it
>>
>>2905301
It's fun to spot random people on the internet who are clearly studying his stuff.

He seems to be quite popular these days among more casual artists.
>>
>>2902419
Its good to copy from photos, but I think I know what you mean.

The common method of teaching that makes people think of photos as flat paint-by-numbers style shapes is good for amateurs to get quick results but it's a terrible mindset for anyone wanting to really learn fundamentals and do imaginative works. Gotta think in 3D and not be a mechanical photocopier
>>
>>2905301

That's a really good study, anon.
>>
best:

trust yourself and listen to yourself. meaning, if you feel something is wrong or you don't like the results or you know you can do better, or you avoiding something, don't ignore that feeling.

stop guessing around and learn construction.

appetite comes with eating.

worst:

don't push yourself, don't draw if you don't feel like it.

don't copy other artists, you have to come up with all the design solutions on your own, else you are not the true artist(tm).
>>
>>2907223
I feel like I gave you that first advice, but I'm not sure.
>>
>>2902212
>When you have the rare chance of seeing one of your idols working in real life, and they mess up something that you have mastered, you will no longer trust advice or tutorials again.
>once you reach a certain skill level you never make mistakes
Wew lad
>>
>>2907411
quite a few parts of their post sound arogant and even a little delusional but their still some understandable feelings under them.
>>
best
>starting is half the battle
>tech drawing/industrial design will allow you to actually understand what you're drawing and constructing

worst
>read right side of the brain
>listen to /ic/
>>
>>2909576
>right side of the brain
What is this new meme? I though we were all about Loomis?
Did something happen while I was away from /ic/ for a few months?
>>
>>2909669
Yeah, it turns out Loomis is too advanced for beginners.
>>
>>2909671
>Loomis is too advanced for beginners.
What the fuck?
That's a good joke. Tell me it really is just a joke.
>>
>>2909676
If only it was. Not sure if the new beginners are more stupid or what, but we had to tone it down to KtD or DotRSotB first. And then it just boil it down to the latter because even Keys was too much.
>>
>>2909669
new people don't want to work through loomis so they do dotrsotb then post absolute shite on here

it's gotten so bad that we've attracted drawabox shills
>>
>>2909677
fun with a pencil and keys too drawing are basic as you can get. it's literally symbol drawing and basic geometric shapes. no one that's over 18 should have a problem with this.
>>
>>2909677
>>2909922
>>2909926
This is really sad. I wonder where those new batch of beginners came from. I sure hope no one used tumblr unironically to advertise /ic/ over there.
Blogs are supposed to be used just to track the progress of other anons.
>>
>>2901166
Best advice:
>listen to /ic/
Worst advice:
>listen to /ic/
>>
>>2901938
It's easier to think of it as drawing from the elbow. I had trouble until I realized this.
>>
>>2902467
>>2902495
'Just draw' is mostly good advice for when you're in an art block.
>>
>>2909677
Some people just don't like Loomis's style mkay
>>
>>2904843
or you know, he wasn-t a complete and total beginner
>>
>>2902087

Nothing, John Cage is a new-age woo woo hack, don't listen to him.
>>
>>2902441
hey fucker we worked hard on that.
>>
>>2912096
What's with the shitty discord at the top
>>
>>2904993
If you want some actual advice, never assume malicious intent. People arent all out to get you. Sure you'll have some haters, but there is truth to some of it.
Very rarely will someone put down your art with the sole purpose of lying and being hateful.

This applies to all things in life, not just art. You'll be a much happier, easier going person.
>>
>>2912648
idk, at least here on /ic/ I get a lot of purposely bad advice, people obviously trying to break me or maybe it's the same troll. I would argue that there is a lot of crab mentality towards semi decent-decent artists here.

Don't get me wrong, I kind of agree with you but /ic/ is a special case
>>
>>2909926
Drawing the cross lines on a sphere is difficult for most beginners, and then they will have even more trouble placing the forms and features well from one side to another. Someone who can do these exercises well is not a beginner, but someone who's been drawing seriously for half a year at least. Doing this constructive stuff from imagination is only seemingly basic, but it is definitely not basic to perform it well. Loomis also doesn't put in any real effort in this book on how to develop the perception competence necessary to do it well.
>>
>>2912648

In most cases you're right, in the case of this board I say always take advice with a grain of salt and be a little more analytical of it than you would normally be.

No need to reject advice out of hand, but /ic/ is a place where I've seen a lot of counterproductive advice given.
>>
>>2901166
Best advice:
>Just Draw
I learn a surprising amount on days where I feel like shit but force myself to open the sketchbook and wander my mind around my previous stuff a little bit. Any work is better than no work, especially if you know you're naturally lazy.

Worst advice:
>Gesture
I suppose I didn't spend too much time on this but it was infuriating every second I did it. All I'd seen were swirly line demonstrations by Vilppu et. all and all I could think was
>what the fuck is this shit coming out of my pencil

Then I stopped doing it but continued watching for a bit, and at some point either Vilppu or some other guy straight up said something like
>gesture requires understanding of anatomy and perspective. if you don't know either, you should go do those first.

>>2904993
>>2902212
The common saying goes "take it with a grain of salt"; what advice is is literally the grain of salt. The course is not the advice or the book, it's your own experience and understanding.

I spent a lot of wasted time trying to follow Loomis's stuff because the way he said things not only didn't make sense to me, I believed they had to make sense because /ic/ said so. In retrospect Loomis isn't wrong, his method looks like it's not entirely unusable, but I learned in spite of him rather than because of him. Just like with a lot of other advice, that "in the end he was right" was absolutely useless garbage to me. "All that stuff you learned from Loomis! Praise Loomis!" when Loomis is why I stagnated until I said fuck this shit. Any similarity in construction methods is in the eye of the beholder. If you want to believe in Loomis/[X], you're going to see him/[it] wherever you go.

What is the point in saying something that can't be understood by the target audience?

Only answer is that it's for the benefit of the speaker.

If you succeed, it's because they gave you advice. If you don't, it's your fault you misunderstood.
>>
Best advice I've ever gotten is if you cant out skill someone you have to outwork them. Essentially started tripled the time I spent on a piece and there was a massive leap in the quality of my work.

Worst was probably that you need to fast = good. Wasted years trying to speed paint..
>>
>>2912712
I doubt anyone here actually wants to mislead you. Here's what I think, there's a lot of incompetence here, simple as that.

It doesn't matter how "nice" you are or how "harsh" you are, but if you are ultimately wrong in what you say, your opinion is worthless. it doesn't matter HOW something is said, its what's said that matters.

Some users of /ic/ like to pride themselves in being mean or harsh or honest but can they pride themselves in being competent? I wish that was a more common meme here cus y'know, you're actually useful.

They're some FANTASTIC artists here though i wish they were the majority. I suggest maybe going to eight chan /art/ /dpd/

They seem i bit less noisy and more useful but that's my opinion
>>
>>2904003
Just look at how they draw certian things and draw thrm that way. Over time you will change it on your own to fit situations.

I started doing this in 1st grade. I first started drawing decent hands by copying my much older brother. Now I draw hands better/differently but it started with copying.
>>
>>2901503
What book is that from?
>>
File: gitgud.png (2MB, 720x2127px) Image search: [Google]
gitgud.png
2MB, 720x2127px
>>
Worst advice:

"This is not gesture, there's too much construction"
-random guy on /ic/

Best advice:

"Do it however you find most comfortable, just try not to lose the energy"
-Vilppu

/ic/ has very good resources but most of the time you shouldn't actually listen to anons.
>>
>>2910008
>>2902770
I'll admit I have come up with some interesting doodles that a bunch of people loved by doing that, especially last October during the Inktober thing.
Created a Beholder looking creature that was just an amalgamation of tentacles and orbs that looked really morbid and sexual and got a bunch of people asking me if I could draw more like that.
>>
>>2918166
http://www.noteaccess.com/Texts/Cennini/

It's mostly useless these days, has a lot of technical stuff like how to make paint or paper or charcoal etc.

Some of it is pretty fun though.
>>
>>2918210
>getting advice on /ic/
son, you wouldnt happen to have autism now would you?
>>
>>2902123
>muh excuses
Get fucked.
>>
>>2904802
Learn to draw with your other hand, feet or mouth. Don't let a minor setback stop you from art.
>>
>>2901166
Live models are indeed great. I go to Middle Sex university and in my animation course theres a qt Vietnamese-Chinese classmate I want to model for me. She's one of the shy types, how do I make this happen anons?
>>
>>2919520
>middlesex

You already fucked up, the only place worth a shit for art in bongland is falmouth.

Personally though, I go to a community college type deal, with old folks, much less stressful, I'm an autodidact at heart so I'm only doing it for the degree.
>>
>>2919520
Is her name start with a T?
>>
>>2902285
Me too bro

Best Advice: Draw
Worst Advice : Let's binge watch some netflix tonight
>>
>>2912097
ill give anyone a shot and some promotion to start themselves, including you if you make one. I use the top as a free (relevant) advertisement platform but try not to be biased.
>>
>>2919558
Have you undertaken efforts to properly learn anatomy/perspective or planning on wasting another year?
>>
I legit want to know what's the deal with wrist VS arm thing. Like, most people I've heard of and know draw with their wrists, even good artists I've seen at some cons were drawing with their wrist (With the occasional dude who actually hovered his hand over the paper and the freak that held his pencil in a weird wway and drew upside down. ). So like, if most people are doing it, what's the matter ?
So far I've only heard smuggery about "wrist is for beginners", so please enlighten me.

And yes, I do realized some other anon already asked something similar but didn't quite get an answer.
>>
>>2919837
wrist doesn't give long straight lines and covers only a small area compared to your arm but it's easier for curves. draw from your arm to get everything with the only sacrifice being time spent practicing.
>>
Best advice
>Have fun
I often forget to have fun when all I'm trying to do is better myself. It'll feel like a chore to simply draw a page from my minuscule sketchbook if I'm just drawing for the sake of drawing.
>Don't draw the same thing over and over again/try something new
>If artblocked, try a new/different media then come back to the one you're used to

Worst advice
>Draw whatever you want
>Draw boxes (drawing people)
My poses are now naturally stiff as fuck, I think I'm getting out of it, but at one point it felt like the damage was permanent.
>Draw whenever you feel like drawing
Don't, you won't do anything. But have fun while you're doing it.
>Just draw (THE WORST)
Don't "just draw". If you're not invested in your drawings then it's gonna be shit. If you just mindlessly draw then you won't learn anything. Art isn't something you can do on the side.

Wew lad, that's a lot of words.
>>
>>2919932
>Worst advice
>Just draw
Not gonna make it.
>>
>>2919837
>>2919912
In addition to that, drawing with your wrist can lead to carpal tunnel.
This is why having a large work surface is advantageous, there's more room to use your whole arm to draw.
>>
>>2901166
Don't listen to music or anything else while drawing. When you draw, you're drawing. That's it, nothing else.
>>
>>2918260
Thank u mate. History is always fun for any habit
>>
>>2920153
so i cant listen to my 10 hour relaxing rain/thunderstorm vids?
>>
>>2920209
>vids
>not using one of the special sites made for it
It better be 10 hours of non-loop material.
>>
>>2920214
its this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ljAEO8Wej4
>>
>>2920209
Yup. Embrace the silence. The way I see it is that ambient noise still redirects brainpower into processing that excess sound. It's really up to you, but try drawing in complete silence and see if that improves your work in any way.
>>
>>2919912
So it's just for big shapes ? I guess I missed the point then, because trying to draw fine details with the elbow turned out to be a disaster.
>>
File: C7lAVLZVYAMWQcG.jpg (13KB, 364x222px) Image search: [Google]
C7lAVLZVYAMWQcG.jpg
13KB, 364x222px
HMMMMMMMM..............
>>
>>2920634
whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoa... question mark?
>>
>>2920634
So this is why those kind of people can make it and I can't.
>>
>>2920634
>eat people who put you in a bad mood

sounds like a plan!
>>
File: edge hog.jpg (41KB, 400x366px) Image search: [Google]
edge hog.jpg
41KB, 400x366px
>>2919598
but im getting faster at being bad!
>>
best advice
be yourself and have fun
worst advice
spend time learning anatomy and perspective
>>
>>2922897
>be yourself and have fun
is this dating advice or drawing advice?
>>
>>2922899
its drawing advice duh
everyone always wants to be so serious and draw professional looking stuff
just be urself and draw what you want
>>
Best advice:
Draw what you enjoy, but practice your fundamentals as well. Study stylization and realism simultaneously.

Worst advice:
Don't bother doing anything other a study until your art is perfect.

Tons of people here seem to know how to render a beautiful human body but can't make a creative illustration for shit. Creativity and spontaneity are skills of themselves, if you neglect them you'll be left with amazing art skills, but without the imagination to actually make something interesting and original.
>>
>>2922916
>Creativity and spontaneity are skills of themselves, if you neglect them you'll be left with amazing art skills, but without the imagination to actually make something interesting and original.
this x1000000000000000000000000000000000
>>
>>2923000
this is my worst nightmare and it's coming true... please, how do you become more creative?
>>
>>2922916
>Creativity and spontaneity are skills of themselves
I always thought that creativity was something innate in everyone in some form or another.
>>
Best advice:
Your only enemy is your fear of failure and success.
Additionally, no one has ever told me this, i had to figure it out myself; there is money in art and i can (and do) make a solid living off it.

Worst advice:

All the pity party bullshit about how you must suffer for art or that art is a dying field.
>>
Best advice: Living creatures like people and animals are not just made of simple shapes you can just mash together, you have to understand how complicated they really are so you can accurately portray them in your artwork.

Worst advice: can't really think of anything, sorry.
>>
>>2923238
That's what we used to think about art as well when we were children, didn't we..
>>
>thing that fucked me up the most:
not knowing the difference between form and silhouette.
loomis says 5 eyes wide, but front of head is about three eyes wide. shit drove me up a fucking wall tbfh

>shit that saved my life
doing several iterative drawings of something for the sake of analysis and problem solving.
Thinking specifically about what i'm trying to improve before googling reference.

fuck there's so much. I feel stunted because of too many goddamn cooks in the kitchen, but all the different resources gave me a fuckton of different approaches to solving a problem.
Thread posts: 129
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.