[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

fine art

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: J-C-Leyendecker-05.jpg (306KB, 1024x738px) Image search: [Google]
J-C-Leyendecker-05.jpg
306KB, 1024x738px
Can anyone give me any tips on painting in acrylics on canvas? Fairly new but absolutely would love to towards being able to portray what I want through it. Meaning sort of best ways to mix, layer, construct etc. tnx /ic/
>>
>>2900465
>tips on painting in acrylics on canvas

Don't. Go for gouache (paper, your pic) or oil. Acrylic is for people who can't deal with the hassle of oil. The downside is it will never, ever look good, especially in person. Acrylic always looks like plastic-y shit.
>>
Learn how to use mediums with acrylics. Some can thin the paints down or add extra gloss and oil to it to make it stay wet longer.

Different artists have different processes and styles while using acrylics, it's great for certain styles but not so much with others.

My main tip is to paint in a lot of layers and find find your process. Tone the canvas, underpainting with washes and toned values, form layer, lighting layer, detail layer, and keep building it up to the finished version.

You can always paint over your mistakes so don't be lazy, learn to correct yourself when you see an error, that's the best way to improve.

So yah, just keep experimenting until you find a process that works for you because everyones process is different. If there's a professional painter that works with acrylics that you really enjoy, learn their process, or at least take away from it.
>>
>>2901310
Not actually true. Acrylic can look as good as oil if you know how to use it.
>>
>>2901310

This is true.

Acrylics truly are the medium for bored housewives that have no skill whatsoever.
>>
I hated oil until I used acrylic as an under-painting medium, made oils bearable. They're also more affordable, but I'll give gouache a try one day
>>
Which kind of brushes I can use with acrylics? I'm painting with some kind of hard brushes, but I don't really like how hard they are. With oils I paint with soft brushes. Can I use those with acrylics?
>>
Had a go today with some decent layering with thinned paint, creating an abstract piece with a lot of bright colours, going to take some time but I'll see how it goes tomorrow. Thanks for the advice
-OP
>>
>>2901310
I don't know if this is true or not.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.