[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

College

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: call.png (49KB, 436x397px) Image search: [Google]
call.png
49KB, 436x397px
I'm basically all done with community college and am once again sitting with the decision to transfer to a four year. It seems pointless since I've heard mixed reviews about the university's art department in town and don't want to waste money on an education I can get locally for a fraction of the price.

I'm literally just getting a degree to wipe my ass through higher-paying jobs that can pay for supplies and bills. I don't want to be a scrub.

What about you guys? Any of you actually get a BA or what?

Before anyone posts that info graph of artist warning students to NOT pay for art school, I know son, I know.
>>
>>2898229
Depends what are you looking to do with your art
>>
File: goodgod.jpg (109KB, 700x445px) Image search: [Google]
goodgod.jpg
109KB, 700x445px
>>2898233
Well, I don't want to really pursue studio of fine art, that's more of a hobby and something I admire other people doing. As it stands, I'm currently pursuing illustration, but I'm willing to settle on something along the lines of package/label design within the graphic design field.

My dream, if I had to settle on something not necessarily in my desired field, would be to work on shit like Besame Cosmetics, but that's very much a niche market.
>>
I'm in community college to transfer to the university, but I'm going to college for science. However, I started taking Drawing I this semester, and I'll take Drawing II next semester alongside 3 math classes.

They gave me a little crap for taking art classes with my degree, but I brought my work in to show them. They didn't argue after that. I'm not going to school for art as a degree, but I am taking art courses for my own purposes.
>>
>>2898229
Don't do it. I'm a 3rd year at a local state university myself, getting a B.A. in art with a concentration in Illustration. There's tons of trash people getting degrees from these types of universities that are completely unemployable, the degrees are meaningless in this industry.

The art department at my school is small as fuck and understaffed. There is literally ONE professor of Illustration at my school, and two graphic design professors, and the rest are adjuncts that don't teach important concentration courses. It is fucking killing me man. I had this one adjunct that teaches at a private art school and I learned so much more from him in an elective than my actual illustration classes.

The quality of students is worse than the average of /ic/. Mostly everyone traces, everyone is heavily reliant on reference, nobody knows how to draw from imagination, nobody draws over the summer.

There's too much gen-education shit, and not enough art courses to take in your concentration.

I learned how to be a better artist just through the whole range of classes, yes. Some of my professors I learned a good deal from. But I just can't call this a degree in illustration. It's just not. I wouldn't recommend anyone to go into debt for a local university art education. I would have dropped out after finishing my second year but I have a full-scholarship. People from a real art-schools, who are themselves more prepared for jobs than these trashcans, are even having trouble getting jobs.
>>
>>2898410
See, this is what I keep hearing and I guess I should just heed the warnings and settle into another major with maybe a minor in fine art of something. If I'm being completely honest, I was considering using this as a means of networking too, but... social media is at my finger tips.

I've experienced the same thing, the saddest part is a guy I took non-scholastic classes with pretty much told me it's pointless to continue onto a 4-year university. Universities with art programs, programs that are often under-staffed or full of professors with ego-stroking agendas, don't really focus on the technical aspect of art and I've been dealing with that all through CC. I honestly hate how art isn't treated like a technical skill in education.

I guess I'll collect myself in the mean time and continue self-study.

>The quality of students is worse than the average of /ic/. Mostly everyone traces, everyone is heavily reliant on reference, nobody knows how to draw from imagination, nobody draws over the summer.
>The art department at my school is small as fuck and understaffed.
>There's too much gen-education shit, and not enough art courses to take in your concentration.

I visit the student gallery around here sometimes, and I'm not a complete stickler for fundies, I can find something in like in just about any piece, but even the painting skills just show these students sat in a room without any guidance. I personally hate art education in North America, but part of me still wants to believe it's worth shucking hundreds of thousands of dollars, lmao.

Thanks for your input by the way! Appreciate it. Best wishes with the remainder of your education, regardless.
>>
>>2898420
Thanks, no problem. I would look into ateliers at least. They are worth going to, especially for the cost, although they are very specific in what they teach.
>>
>>2898432
My town is kind of bumfuck and small, but there's a life drawing group that meets weekly. Honestly learned more there than I have in college. Might pick-up some online workshops though, that may be the best alternative.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.