[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why arent there any linear courses that make the difference?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: bird.jpg (181KB, 2000x1389px) Image search: [Google]
bird.jpg
181KB, 2000x1389px
Why arent there any linear courses that make the difference? It's all "read this book and then that book and it's supposed to help you... I guess?" If not, well, happens. There really should be something that can be logically followed with real gains in the end, not just watching shit that is all over the place.

The best example is Loomis meme. I've gone through every of his book and I got a little better but not enough to tackle other issues that are not involved in those books.

Unless I have to understand everything after reading a book and I was just retarded from the beginning.
>>
>>2891433
Bump
>>
>>2891433
it's because the sticky is bullshit.
>>
>>2891433
There are linear courses on how to learn art, but they are ways to learning a single specific type of art. Like traditional schools might have you start off by drawing from Bargue plates or some other course, then move up to drawing from casts, then painting casts, then painting bread for skintones, then drawing the model, then painting the model, then painting the model with props and costumes, then coming up with compositions and getting models to pose for you and so on. This leads to work though that looks a specific way, and it isn't what every artist wants. If you want to be an illustrator or animator for example it's not best choice, or if you don't want to do work that is highly naturalistic.

There are of course books that cover other things as well, like the Famous Artists Course is good for learning basic drawing skills and imagemaking (though it is in some ways outdated now) for an illustrator.

Anyways, it comes down to a few things, most notably that there isn't a single universal goal in art and therefore not a single universal path that can be followed. Don't forget that art is also a really deep discipline, so you can't really fit everything into a single book, or even a series of books. It's a skill that involves a huge amount of knowledge and decades of experience to master. You can get books that will cover a tiny sliver of the whole knowledge you need and study a bunch of them, and study a bunch on your own, and eventually you might have a full pie at the end.
>>
>>2891433
you don't learn cooking by reading recipes
>>
people learn differently - making too rigid of a progression of material isn't the end-all be-all, and in some cases could prove the opposite

also lmao why did you >>2891444 bump your thread on one of the slowest boards
>>
>>2891478
Except I don't get better with grinding art.
>>
>>2891433
I would love to help you out here but my post would just get taken and put in nosebro's sticky as helpful resource and I don't want that.
>>
>>2891433
There is no secret course. The secret is how you use the courses. I guarantee you that reading a book will do nothing for you if you are not an active learner-student. The way to gain understanding through reading books is to think critically when you read books: make connections with your own experiences, and practice the methods heavily in your own work. It's not enough to 'know' a concept if you don't personally understand the pros, cons, and the effect the concepts have in your work. That is what you would eventually have if you studied under the artist in real life. How many times do/did you actually think about the concept of the 5 C's and P's while making your work? Be honest. You have to simulate the teacher-student relationship, where you create work and gain feedback by utilizing the teacher's philosophies or ideas to critique your process and your results.

Reading a whole book on perspective, grasping the logic or steps of the methods, will do nothing for you if never try to utilize the information and make it part of your workflow. You'll just forget the stuff. You don't have time in the heat of an artwork to go look up figuring out how to do perspective in a book. You're busy with more important aspects of expression and the subject.
>>
>>2891433

In a way, it's linear. Application is key. Through drawing or applying techniques personal work, you can evaluate your strengths and weakness so that you can work on those issues.
>>
>>2891433
>There really should be something that can be logically followed with real gains in the end
No, unfortunately real life is not an RPG designed for autists.
>>
Draw a box has a pretty good structure if you're just starting out
>>
>>2891433
there are those places called 'ateliers' where ppl better than you explain shit to you while you draw. ever tried that method?
>>
>>2891433
>Unless I have to understand everything after reading a book

tell me... did you do the all the exercises in the book until you understood them ? or just read it.......
>>
>>2891433
not gonna make it
>>
>>2891433
The arts discourage creating the same students and approaches to problems by their very nature. They rely on personal creativity to innovate. That being said, most art instruction is very very poor in quality and trying to find someone of reliable skill that can teach is rare.

You actually have a better shot at downloading YouTube videos on techniques and trying them out than on spending 60,000 to have a shitty university teacher tell you to figure draw a model.
>>
because your lazy ass won't practise for multiple hours every day. The books do bring gains, but to others, not you.
>>
>>2892158
>until you understood them

The key point most people miss. You need to be able to understand and apply before moving on.

Also op, no one's going to hold your hand. Thats not how this works.
If you can't figure out how to study and teach yourself with the unlimited resources of the Internet then no amount of spoon feeding will help
>>
>>2891500
What's the problem with that? You're helping the community anyway
>>
>>2891478
That's true, and I get the comparison you're making, but it doesn't apply.
>>
File: 1488549791268.jpg (569KB, 1113x1170px) Image search: [Google]
1488549791268.jpg
569KB, 1113x1170px
>>2891478

>You can't read recipes and cook at the same time

Weew lad
>>
>>2891433
Because you fuck is too lazy to work hard enough to the point you can see the promised gains
>>
>>2891433

Look, you silly man. Go to CGMA and FZD and look at their syllabus. Then plan an action plan based on the their structure.

Here's a spoiler, it's starts with Dynamic sketching. Don't move to the next till you master the first.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.