[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much do you study things on an analytical level? it seems

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

File: lObyAyr.jpg (180KB, 670x1024px) Image search: [Google]
lObyAyr.jpg
180KB, 670x1024px
How much do you study things on an analytical level?

it seems that when i see eastern artists practice, they come up with a solution to every forseeable problem.
Pages and pages of design problems and solutions, ways to tackle things, alternative approaches, etc.
it seems like western artists only copy photos.

Even when i look at Da Vinci's notebooks he talks extensively about every aspect involved in making art.
>>
Drawing is all about studying things on an analytical level. Every single artists has to come up with a solution to every foreseeable problem, because the answers can not be given through speech or any other way. This is why they always tell you to just keep drawing, it's the best way to get better at this. Da Vinci is probably one of the most known figures for doing studies, but really every artists do them. People assume it's talent and they just magically knew how to do it when really they spent countless hours trying to understand the world just like Da Vinci did.
>>
>>2890282
Any good artist thinks of these things but most don't bother to write it all out or colour code it and make it pretty. They just take mental notes and observations while drawing things.
>>
Even when i see KJG tackle problems it seems like he's done several phonebooks of these analytical studies.
>>
>>2890293
>Even when i see KJG tackle problems it seems like he's done several phonebooks of these analytical studies.
He has. He drew for most of his life with construction and taught it in classes. It only was when he was very developed in this that he started skipping the construction stage and doing it in his head, initially done to speed up things when teaching classes (ie not wasting so much time on the drawing when he wants to teach watercolour).
>>
File: 39362699_big_p2_master1200.jpg (164KB, 1240x1754px) Image search: [Google]
39362699_big_p2_master1200.jpg
164KB, 1240x1754px
>>2890290
That's the thing, I'm starting to think they do pages of similar stuff like this, it's just unseen like >>2890289 said.

There's a weird feeling when you learn the fundamentals and you realise that every skilled artist is using the same basic theory as you.
There's not much difference except the skilled artist has far more discipline and a much deeper understanding of the craft.

There's a lot that can't be learned from art education, and i feel like these sort of "figure it out" studies fill the gap.

I just can't tell if it's a quantity or quality based process.
>>
>>2890313
>I just can't tell if it's a quantity or quality based process.
Probably at least some of both.
>>
>>2890282
There's a lot of 'bad' western artists, for sure. But honestly "it seems like western artists only copy photos" is a flawed deduction. Where's your statistics? You're biased because you enjoy eastern infographics. You're going to be more able to recall in your memory eastern infographics than western infographics due to what is probably your taste. And you're going to be able to recall westerns copying photos here because people want to show their improvement and how good they are, not their observations.
>>
File: 23a222b4e4ad7fc9a1b42be35a0e16fe.jpg (332KB, 1600x1206px) Image search: [Google]
23a222b4e4ad7fc9a1b42be35a0e16fe.jpg
332KB, 1600x1206px
>>2890327
that's fair.
It just seems that the western art scene seems a bit more "pretentious"(?)
As if all the hard work seems hidden behind the scenes, obscured(?).

my english isn't the best.
>>
>>2890351
I love these sketches. That guy staring at the t h i c c booty
>>
>>2890351
Yes, that's fair to say. If you weren't training under an artist or had an artist-to-artist friendship with somebody much of the hard work is obscured.
>>
>>2890351
Is that leyendecker? Is it oil paint?
>>
>>2890474
Yes and yes. He did numerous preparatory studies like this for every part of every image.
>>
File: 1446940981163.png (738KB, 540x657px) Image search: [Google]
1446940981163.png
738KB, 540x657px
>>2890289
These first posts have been really good as of late.
>>
>>2890282
>those hands and feet
holy fuck just no this guy cant draw for shit
>>
>>2890489
post your work
>>
>>2890491
He's right though. The artist put all their XP into boobs and butt and torso, and forgot to leave any for hands and feet.
>>
>>2890282
Since art doesn't have a finish line, there's no reason to think you're ever "done" with any aspect, there's no reason to ever not study things analytically. You can feel pretty good for being able to design anything at any angle and scale in three-point perspective with mathematical accuracy, but then you have challenges like reconstructing Uccello's chalice, finding the reflected shadow of a dodecahedron, or incorporating anamorphic perspective.
>>
Torsos are easy
Hands and feet, not so much
>>
>>2890493
>tfw put all my xp into hands and feet and can't draw boobs, butts or torsos
>>
>>2890625
>tfw put all my xp into animals and vehicles instead of figures
>>
>not putting all xp into learning a holistic simplification construction based draw from life combined with nonreferenced works
>not gonna make it
>>
>>2890282
Oh GOD muh dick!
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 768x423px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 768x423px
Eastern artists have greater access to models for one thing. Frank Miller has spoken about how hard he thought it was to draw girls or cars before beginning 'Sin City'. He ended up collecting lots of antique model cars in order to convey vehicles in space. Because Miller attended the Kubert School, he had a certain advantage from a design perspective.

There's certainly a tradition in western art where the portrait study paid more than the landscape, and so British art in particular was more associated with fashion or head studies than anatomy. France and Spain featured far more anatomical works, but Italians were not able to work from a nude female model for a long time, which is why Michelangelo's studies all have fake breasts on them.
>>
File: image.jpg (77KB, 762x422px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77KB, 762x422px
Daumier of course would construct his own models, which may be a better method. I get the sense that E.C. Comics, one of the better comic publishers at the height of American comics production in the 1950's, may have used projection in part.

I admire the kind of casual look of a lot of manga because it's more consistent in style than most American comic art. A few comic artists like Frank Miller seem to get around it. He's rustier than he was before but his drawing style hasn't evaporated.
>>
>>2890788
u have shit taste
>>
>>2890855
>Italians were not able to work from a nude female model for a long time
>which is why Michelangelo's studies all have fake breasts on them

wait what? source pls
>>
>>2890879
Women were sequestered and occupied with domestic chores in the West. Corpses and whores may have been available, particularly to Dutch artists, but women could generally not be exposed.

https://renresearch.wordpress.com/2011/02/11/men-with-breasts-or-why-are-michelangelos-women-so-muscular-part-1/
>>
You have to remember that most Renaissance artists still found their most consistent employment working for the Catholic Church, not liberal arts colleges. Every form of instruction develops its own particularities, right?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.