[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the ancient Egyptians never improve beyond this?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 15

Why did the ancient Egyptians never improve beyond this?
>>
File: Nofretete_Neues_Museum.jpg (356KB, 1282x1877px) Image search: [Google]
Nofretete_Neues_Museum.jpg
356KB, 1282x1877px
they did
>>
>>2888717

No Loomis
>>
>>2888717
it stayed the same for a long time because the style was very specific, even mathematical, and that was the correct way to do things so there was no real motivation to innovate. same for lots of religious art.
>>
>>2888733
pretty much this, it was called a canon of proportion and they stuck with it.

That is until the roman empire took over I think, then their paintings changed via influence. Pic related
>>
>>2888737
Also worth noting that those portraits are not in oils or anything easy to use. They were done in encaustics which means they melted wax, mixed in a bit of colour and smeared it down before it cooled.
>>
Isolated, enclosed, very conservative society. Which is funny because they had plenty of contact with other civilizations, but I guess they were geographically and culturally isolated enough that it didn't effect their own sense of aesthetics.

Also what we see is mostly religious and government art, which was sacred and formalized in nature.

Apparently what little survives of purely decorative art was more "relaxed" and less formal.
>>
>>2888756
And now I see art supply stores trying to sell encaustic paints, which means you have to basically use a hot-plate for a palette.

It's...neat, but seems overly complicated.
>>
File: ours-chauvet.jpg (658KB, 1920x1124px) Image search: [Google]
ours-chauvet.jpg
658KB, 1920x1124px
>>2888717
please, between 30 and 35k years B.C. perspective existed because men painted what they saw.

Yes, egyptian "evolved" beyond flat 2D. They had a fashion. That's all.

why does internet never evolved beyond furry lolis chibi style ?

source : this place is 40 km away from my home.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chauvet_Cave
>>
>>2888737
it's really a bit more nuanced than that. the egyptian canon of proportions influenced greek art (see kouros), and developed into more realistic styles over time. roman art was often just a copy of greek originals, or modifications of greek designs.
>>
>>2888764
At least you know they last a couple thousand years in pretty good condition.
>>
File: chauvet.jpg (979KB, 1166x1217px) Image search: [Google]
chauvet.jpg
979KB, 1166x1217px
>>2888767
lucky. too bad you can't actually visit it.
>>
>>2888768
>egyptian canon of proportions influenced greek art
That's kind of impressive considering how amazing greek art is.
>>
>>2888767
Damn that bear looks like it could have been done by a Disney artist.
>>
>>2888774
replica open to public ;)
>>
File: 1444859254447.gif (492KB, 314x219px) Image search: [Google]
1444859254447.gif
492KB, 314x219px
>>2888717
They were busy being kangs (and shiet).
>>
File: SphinxOfTaharqa.jpg (65KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
SphinxOfTaharqa.jpg
65KB, 500x667px
>>2888779
>>
>>2888776
the more amazing ? this cave was an art school, with masterpieces as model and a lot of little bad replicas. Even more ? fossilized hand-print showing that children were learning to draw. neat.
>>
>>2888788
Source on this info? I'm genuinely interested in reading up on this. Would be cool to read a book or long article on it.
>>
>>2888790
http://archeologie.culture.fr/chauvet/en/virtual-visit

the guide and the artist responsible for the replica told me, they worked with archeo-paleologists and made incredible discoveries.
>>
File: vulve.jpg (9KB, 171x145px) Image search: [Google]
vulve.jpg
9KB, 171x145px
just for you guy.. they had a /s/ section 30k yo BC ...
>>
>>2888771

They look fun to work with and the colors on those wax bars are super-intense, but... it seems like a gigantic initial investment for something I may or may not like.

Maybe when I'm rich I'll try it out.
>>
>>2888737
Don't forget that part of the reason why all their poses look so janky was because they believed that if you didn't show every body part evenly, you'd lose the body part not shown when you die.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (584KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
584KB, 2560x1440px
>>2888764
you could try just microwaving some crayons for paint and using a hair dryer to keep it warm.
>>
>>2888767
holy fucking shit my negro. i wonder how an art lesson would look like 30k years ago. imagine if they already had all these concepts like "draw what you see, avoid symbol drawing" or something back then. or what they knew or thought about in general. fucking insane
>>
File: 1488541134266s.jpg (2KB, 84x125px) Image search: [Google]
1488541134266s.jpg
2KB, 84x125px
>>2889142
"they had no loomis, how?"
>>
They had style just as ever new culture will. There was no improvement from their perspective. They created new symbolic works. Before any man had before.

How the fuck can we look back with anything but admiration for what they did. Pure slices of imagined contour. Drawn out from ancient psyche and placed upon the rock of earth.

Part of how to see the beauty in ancient work is to develop a reverence for the ancient mind. Antithetical to current progress I know. But do it. And it will help you love your own work I promise.

To appreciate each movement is to appreciate what the mind is capable of. And each iteration is apart of you.
>>
>>2888717
Investor weren't concerned.
Marketing was pretty bad at this time.
>>
>>2888717
It was purely used for language. They used abstractions for everything, it's what we call symbol drawing and it was perfect for what they were trying to accomplish with it.
>>
>>2888720

/thread
>>
>>2889142
How would symbol drawing even be possible when there weren't any fucking symbols around.
>>
>>2889384

This is one reason why the ancient mind is so beautiful. At this point, symbols were passed by telling but not visualized in reality.

Then man began to apply symbols to visual reality for communication. It was early and the purist forms of 2d abstraction where outlined. To explain in perfect mathematical precision the outline of man as a symbol. Exactly, physically relative curves, all wound up in perfect little physical ratios next to the other,
>>
>>2889142
Actually, 17k BC, in the Lascaux cave artists were more symbolics and that led to think about "simple minded cavemen" since the 50's. (pic related)

Mater when the astonishing Chauvet cave was discovered in the 90's the realism of these dudes from 30k BC stroke everyone.(i was 8 at the time, an my father was a hobbyist speleologist)
Biologist then went in help to the archaeologist and confirmed that our brain and body structure weren't significantly different at the time.

So, "style" or appreciated symbol drawing and observation drawing accompany the humanity since, forever.

Never think about Egyptian, Celtic, Mesopotamian Medieval or Chinese art as retarded because it looks goofy. Never. It's style, trend. Never under-estimate the might of our ancestors.

All in all, we are sure this places weren't home. A lot of speculation on that subject. Churches ? Art school ? Cinema for a wealthy elite ?

Glad if i could make some of you discover something today, sincerely, the little anon from France.
>>
>>2889608
I forgot about Oceanian, African and Native American art. but you get it.
>>
>>2888717
bcuz
*smacks lips*
they wuz kangz and shieeet
>>
File: egyptian-art-35.jpg (177KB, 826x465px) Image search: [Google]
egyptian-art-35.jpg
177KB, 826x465px
>>2889671
that joke (if you can call it that) was already made, but we can pretend you're clever if that's what you need
>>
>>2888720
>that ear
I didn't know Van Gogh was into sculpting.
>>
File: bull.jpg (68KB, 860x327px) Image search: [Google]
bull.jpg
68KB, 860x327px
>>2889608
>Never think about Egyptian, Celtic, Mesopotamian Medieval or Chinese art as retarded because it looks goofy.
Well said!
>>
>>2888737
Fucking kawaii uguu romans
>>
>>2888717
WE
>>
>>2889727
WAZ
>>
>>2889756
>>2889727
tired meme
>>
>>2888776
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8exsw6yKXw
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.