[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Entertainment Design

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_o06idzwzcH1qej2n5o1_540.jpg (332KB, 500x795px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o06idzwzcH1qej2n5o1_540.jpg
332KB, 500x795px
What do you need to study for the entertainment business?

Once I leave my beginner or intermediate stages of fundamentals, I feel like creating work for the industry is my next step forward. I want to finally jump into the "please gimmie a job" phase and start creating professional work that relates to storyboarding, painting, and concept art for animation and film studios. People who do work like Ryan Lang is where I want to be.

To those who know or have experience in the field, where do I start putting my first foot forward in order to succeed? I'm already culturing myself in many animated films by reading up on their artbooks, the major artists' philosophies about creating works for the industries, and following in their footsteps. I feel like just "studying" and simply improving at artwork isn't going to give me a job at major studios, but maybe creating my own works inspired by films and other artists would.

Is there more to it than that, even? Does social media play a part here? Any videos you would consider helpful to this process?

Discuss.
>>
>>2885378
Well of course social media and other things are necessary to get noticed, but you need to first have a body of work that is worth noticing.

If you want to be like Ryan Lang then you need to be a god at colour and lighting and materials, and know a lot about storytelling and composition. Don't just do studies, make some original pieces. It might be a good idea to write your own story or pick an existing one and then do a bunch of designs for it and create some keyframes and mood boards and things.
>>
Obviously the only way you're going to get in is with a project or projects of your own which would obviously showcase your experience on studying and such.
>>
>>2885386
>>2885391
So basically- making your own stories and projects so the businesses see them?

Is there a way to practice that and learn more technical stuff about visual storytelling in general? I.e., Making thumbnails and gesture in characters.
>>
>>2885409
>So basically- making your own stories and projects so the businesses see them?
Yes, but doing it at a high level and ideally in a creative and original way.

>Is there a way to practice that and learn more technical stuff about visual storytelling in general? I.e., Making thumbnails and gesture in characters.
Well there's plenty of resources out there (gumroads, books etc) that show the processes used by pros. The Skillful Hunstman has long been considered the "concept artist's bible", it's a little out of date in some ways now but overall it still is very solid and shows the types of ways you should be thinking. Coming up with your own compositions and things will be something more personal to how you solve problems though and what influences you have been exposed to (what artists, photographers, movies, comics etc).

Keep in mind that doing what Ryan Lang does is one of the most difficult and high level jobs out there, so it's not like there is one thing you study a bit and you are there. It's a culmination of years and years of studying and experimenting and learning and experience, and in a variety of different subjects.
>>
>>2885409
It's also very common to create your animation concept art portfolio around an existing, slightly obscure fairy tale or short story or something along those lines. Ryan Lang based his portfolio on a japanese folk tale for example. Minkyu Lee did a mock-up of Wicked.
>>
>>2885421
I understand. Thank you.

>>2885433
This is something that does bother me a bit. When people say "use other previous movies/stories from disney or old books and designs to create your own", do they mean consider plot detail? I've never really understood that. Should I be copying the plot and creating the same story but with different visual elements and characters? Or should I be doing something completely original, but to allude to those old stories? A portfolio is completely visual, after all.
>>
>>2885443
Don't use existing Disney movies or anything that's already been turned into an animation or even live action movie. Pick some untouched, lesser known fairy tale and then pretend you are both artist and art director and this is your newest animated movie project. Design the main characters and the villain. Do a story board and color keys, envirnments, some story telling illustration, expression sheets, the same stuff you'd see in an "art of..." book basically. You don't have to write anything, just keep the plot in the back of your head so you can make good design decisions.
>>
>>2885451
I see. Thank you very much.
>>
>>2885378
>What do you need to study for the entertainment business?
the holocaust
why palestinians dont have rights
why you should masturbate every day
aesthetic is bad, just give the audience what they want. a bland lifeless trope fest without any inspiration or nobility.
>>
>>2887992
But the audience WANTS an aesthetic and appealing art direction, that's exactly why everything looks somewhat the same, using very appealing designs that are proven to work on the intended audiences.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.