[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long do I have to copy real life in order to go to imagination

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: ruan-jia-2015-10-25-1-32-33.jpg (164KB, 1043x636px) Image search: [Google]
ruan-jia-2015-10-25-1-32-33.jpg
164KB, 1043x636px
How long do I have to copy real life in order to go to imagination drawing?
>>
>>2885240
While there is plenty of overlap they are still two separate skills that need to be developed independently. Do both from the start and don't neglect one for the other. In your first few years of study though you probably want it weighted slightly in favour of drawing from reference.
>>
>>2885240
don't make the same mistake proko made

start now
>>
>>2885240
do both ya dingus
>>
>>2885240
70% from imagination 30% from reference, dont become like the vast majority of ic and be dependent on reference
>>
>>2885240
Just keep practicing both.
I mean, why not?
>>
>>2885244
This is the simple honest answer.

You can draw from imagination when you have a good grasp of the many many minutae that make up how we see the world and the things it is made of. But that is not to say that you shouldn't start now. Drawing from imagination helps digest and better understand what you learned from drawing from reference and drawing from reference begins the cataloguing process necessary to be able to draw at all.
>>
>>2885248
>>2885255
>>2885263
drawing from imagination when you are not good with copying is useless. You can't draw jack shit
>>
>>2885262
60% 40% actually
>>
>>2885262
>dont become like the vast majority of ic and be dependent on reference
Most artists are dependent on references, even good ones, so what's your point?
>>
>>2885270
>tfw did 80-20
I draw from imagination now and I'm seeing huge gains that I never would have knew I could do
I think references become a comfort zone of sorts at a certain point so now I'm doing 10% reference 90% imagination.
>>
File: image.jpg (144KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
144KB, 800x500px
>>2885240
Switch to Prang Outline pencils... Don't use mechanical pencils for wild original designs.
>>
>>2885277
I'm the same way, however in general 60 40 is a good ratio to keep you comfortable but also challenging yourself. If you're unhappy with the work you're doing, you're going to get discouraged and quit, 70 30 has a bit too much room for fucking up especially for newer artists. It pays to be conservative some times

>inb4 this is the stupidest discussion in history
>>
I do my sketches and thumbnails with or without references mostly from imagination then once I have the composition I refer to photos or other resources.
>>
>>2885269
It forces you to apply and solidify what you've learned, and allows you to identify your weaker areas. If all you do is copy you're susceptible to doing it mindlessly and not really thinking about why something looks good/right. The point isn't for everything you draw to look good.
>>
>>2885275
The point is, to start using reference when you're not used to it is a lot easier than to start not using reference when you rely on it.
>>
>>2885240
IIT questions only you, yourself can answer.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.