[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is classical fine art's the way to go to learn art?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 9

File: Monty.jpg (278KB, 500x615px) Image search: [Google]
Monty.jpg
278KB, 500x615px
For the animator's survival book author richard wiliams, it definitely is.
And for many old artists too. But will it really help you to make it?

I had my first class of classic fine art teaching, and I only learned how to hold a pencil and how to do strokes. Most of the things you learn will be about observation and drawing. Nothing about imagination. And I don't think the industry cares if you know how to draw the right way on a canvas.

How can one learn classical art and not become Proko trying to draw a kangaroo? That guy definitely didn't make it in my book
>>
File: 1487720566922.jpg (25KB, 476x350px) Image search: [Google]
1487720566922.jpg
25KB, 476x350px
Bump
>>
>>2885012
obviously, learn design, expand your visual library and just draw from imagination in your spare time
>>
>>2885012

There really isn't any good schools that teaches you how to draw from imagination. Ateliers will teach you how to paint and draw from life but little else. FZD teaches good sketching skills, but is focused on design more so than illustration.

It's best to think of imagination drawing and life drawing as two different disciplines with some overlap. You need to do both if your end goal is to do realistic illustrations
>>
>>2885113
>There really isn't any good schools that teaches you how to draw from imagination.

There's pic related tho
>>
No! Just what your heart tells you to :^)
>>
>>2885113
Art Center.
>>
>>2885805
What do the people in the illustration program of Art Center even do?
>>
>>2885805
Plz define
>>
>>2885012
Richard Williams recommended life-drawing for animation because it allows you to grasp form, volume, and weight. However, approaches that copy shades/contours isn't what Williams was recommending, yet it is most commonly what you will find out there.

You should study under a teacher that stresses drawing and understanding the gesture and simple volumes first before drawing the contours (Vilppu, i.e. construction school of drawing). Study people like Glenn Vilppu and apply his teachings to local life-drawing sessions and to online gesture-drawing sites.

You should learn to draw from imagination on your own, through books and videos, and your own studies. Don't wait to learn to draw from imagination, because that is what Proko did (he said he waited for 10 years). That is his error, not the fact that he's classically trained.
>>
>>2885805
i heard it was shit now

i still think the ent. design course is pretty good in terms of teaching you more than just design

i know that studies (portraits, environments or otherwise) are done in their course but feng says they don't touch it at all at FZD
>>
>>2885012
What's up with all this autistic questions I been seeing on the board lately? Of course life drawing will help. The same way photographs or will or any type of observation drawing. Yeah, you need to break things into basic forms and rotate them and then apply that to the human figure. But other than that, there is nothing special about drawing from imagination. If you want to draw from imagination, DRAW from imagination. Literally, that's how you learn it. It's basically memorizing visual information. Proko sucks at drawing kangaroos from imagination because last time I checked he wasn't a fucking animal artist, he was a figure drawing artist. I'm pretty sure he could have drawn the human figure a lot better from imagination.
>>
He never had the intention of drawing a kangaroo. Some people only said it looked like one.
That's all.
>>
>>2886283
>he said he waited for 10 years
Jesus
>>
gl not falling for liberal fine arts
>>
>>2886313
Why wouldn't an art school owner want people to consider other options besides his school? Insanity.
>>
>>2886505
Not a liberal school at all. Very traditional
>>
Classic fine art as it is taught today is a modern invention.
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (21KB, 644x218px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
21KB, 644x218px
>>2885805
nah
>>
Imagination is self taught.
>>
File: 1488579349207.jpg (118KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1488579349207.jpg
118KB, 768x1024px
>>2886972
Develop your thesis
>>
File: 1452554551880.png (208KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1452554551880.png
208KB, 480x480px
>>2886584
Different visions on what concept art is supposed to be, I guess. Then again Art Center is 3+ years while FZD is 1 year. Now that is insanity.
>>
>>2887095
Which one is insanity? 3 years is reasonnable
>>
>>2887109
It's insane that FZD produces better results in one year than Art Center does in 3+ years.
>>
>>2887112
Lol what bullshit. You're basing this off some cherrypicked image meme. Obviously not every student at Art Center turns into an amazing artist, but it's a much more well rounded and in depth program with better teachers and more competition. It also teaches about actual design and personal development instead of teaching just shortcuts and Feng's design sense.
>>
File: kermit.gif (952KB, 330x238px) Image search: [Google]
kermit.gif
952KB, 330x238px
>>2885113
>>2886314
>>2886987
>>
File: prokopenko.jpg (95KB, 549x700px) Image search: [Google]
prokopenko.jpg
95KB, 549x700px
The biggest question I can't solve is how much detail I need to push for life drawing, assuming I want to do illustration.

I understand the value of observing life and re-creating it into forms. But what about detailed rendering like this pic? Is it necessary to go into THIS much detail if I just wanna draw cartoons n shit?
>>
>>2887649
If you have time, then yes. The more the better.
>>
>>2887649
Looks like Benedict Cumberbatch desu, those are some ayy lmao tier eye placements.
>>
>>2887649
If you want to draw cartoons then that's not necessary, no. It won't hurt, but it's not absolutely necessary. Study in a way that makes sense based on what you want to have your end product look like. Animators often do life drawing mostly of poses ranging from 30 seconds to 5 minutes, and only rarely ever go higher than maybe 20 minutes. Rendering a portrait for a few hours is not the most efficient use of time unless you want to be able to draw really rendered portraits.
>>
File: Blind-Beggars-News.jpg (167KB, 800x1079px) Image search: [Google]
Blind-Beggars-News.jpg
167KB, 800x1079px
Abso-fuckin'-lutely it matters to anybody doing any art, even non-rep anstracts. All the guys in the past 100 years worth anything knew their shit.

It develops not only ability and understanding, but pushes your own visual language out in the open, while trash-compacting all the garbo you harbor from autistic message boards.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.