[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you motivate yourself to practice? I have the problem

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: oleg-zherebin-japan1.jpg (767KB, 1700x1354px) Image search: [Google]
oleg-zherebin-japan1.jpg
767KB, 1700x1354px
How do you motivate yourself to practice? I have the problem that just putting the wacom out of my shelf or preparing the watercolors, etc. is always a motivation killer for me. I rather spend time then looking for other artworks on the internet instead of making something myself.

>pic unrelated
>>
Usually, my guilt gets to me once I realized I haven't drawn all day then look at how far my tablet/paper is from me. It's far enough that I actually have to get up. Typically I don't get up yet, but as time goes on, I'll just get up and put it in front of me even if I don't draw. The guilt gets to me eventually and since it's in front of me, I might as well draw anyways. Then it gets fun and everything is fine after.

Or I look at art like what you posted, because the mood reminds me that I want to create moods and emotions through my art, so I should practice and be able to reach that level one day. Thanks for the image though.
>>
>>2884040
Some people enjoy drawing, y'know?
>>
>>2884040
Treat studying as problem solving and enjoy it as a process of learning. Don't treat it as a chore.

Also one you start it's easy to then continue for while and get absorbed in it. Just force yourself to get started and before you know it an hour or two will have passed and you will have accomplished something.

It also is easier if you can get into a disciplined habit of it instead of treating it as a big effort to do once in a blue moon.
>>
>>2884040

>Eat healthy
>Exercise
>Meditate
>Eat Modafinil
>Get to work

Works everytime
>>
>>2884044
holy shit r u me
>>
File: 1488445546841.png (181KB, 241x387px) Image search: [Google]
1488445546841.png
181KB, 241x387px
>>2884123
There's another one of us?
>>
>>2884049
this
>>
"If you don't practice, you won't improve".

That's all! You want to stay at your level & envy Artstation people until the end? Don't practice.
>>
>>2884040
If you don't wanna draw, nobody's forcing you.
Go do something else
/thread
>>
File: 1466780709497.jpg (155KB, 362x447px) Image search: [Google]
1466780709497.jpg
155KB, 362x447px
>>2884040
this
>>2884047
I bust out a round or to of some videogame or watch an episode of a show I like, to get me in a good mood, and then I follow up with hype music and/or trailers for things I'm excited for; all to get the juices pumping, remind myself how much I love this stuff, and then I'll want to draw. Usually do it in junction with my morning routine, 2-3 hours in total, and then I'm good to go whenever most days.

Find something you love, and can do well.

Bob Ross once said something to the effect of: "A talent is just a pursued interest," and that means you can do anything you're willing to practice.
If you ever doubt yourself, understand it's only ever a matter of diligence.

Additionally, if you find yourself lacking energy or time, it may be prudent to revise your general routine. Eat smarter, go to sleep earlier, wake up earlier, get periodic exercise; etc.
>>
>>2885413
>/or trailers for things I'm excited for
So true, I forgot all about how hype trailers are and the disappointment that follows.

>If you ever doubt yourself, understand it's only ever a matter of diligence.
What does this mean though?
>>
>>2885415
Don't project your pessimism onto others.
>>
>>2885429
I don't understand.
>>
>>2885431
Then you have much more pressing matters to deal with than your artistry.
>>
>>2885435
Are you projecting? What the hell is going on here?
>>
File: IMG_4477.jpg (510KB, 928x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4477.jpg
510KB, 928x1920px
>>
>>2885465
That was pretty motivating, especially the last panel where it shows he drew a cute girl.
>>
>>2884040
>I have the problem that just putting the wacom out of my shelf or preparing the watercolors, etc. is always a motivation killer for me

This is why you make some space nearby and don't shelf it. Keep it plugged in, keep it within easy reach. Every little inconvenience makes it easier to procrastinate, so eliminate as many of the inconveniences as possible.

Even with watercolors, just make it easy to start. Start with a sketch - all you need is a pencil and watercolor paper for that, keep those within reach, you don't need to mix anything until after you've started. And once you've already started it's always far easier to keep going.

Lastly, routine is generally most important for good motivation. If every day after you wake up you draw for 30 minutes, eventually it'll feel normal to draw for 30 minutes right after you wake up, and it'll take less effort to get going. Just do something consistently and it'll develop its own momentum within a few weeks.
>>
>>2884040
I keep my materials close so that when I have the time, I can just pull them out.

If I don't, I start feeling guilty that I'm letting time waste. I mean, what else am I going to do anyway?

Once my mats are right in front of me, there's no reason not to start anymore, so I just do it. And when you're doing it, that's it. It's a done deal.

I try to keep the same 2-3 hr practice schedule everyday. Because I've freed up that time slot, when it comes around each day I have nothing else planned to do. So I would feel like I'm wasting time if I don't practice in that time.
>>
>>2885465
Fuck I needed this right now

Thanks anon
>>
>>2884040
>motivation
Dropped. You either like to draw or you don't. You either like being an artist or you like the *idea* of being an artist.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.