[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tie Dye

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 15

File: SAM_0056 - Copy.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_0056 - Copy.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
Hello /ic/, anyone tie dye? I know this might better fit in fashion, but those emo ninjas don't really care about color. I had a few posts in the thread, but it wasn't very engaging. This is my artwork!
>>
File: SAM_0061 - Copy.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_0061 - Copy.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
bump
>>
File: SAM_0058 - Copy.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_0058 - Copy.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
one more bump for now
>>
>>2883888
>>2883886
>>2883884
Really triggers my trypophobia

They look well made, creatively it's nothing new so I can't really crit these
>>
the design is super cool, but if you want this to be less dad-tier, use something besides a square t-shirt
>>
>>2883938
Creatively nothing new? Just genuinely interested in if you have seen these designs like these before in tie dye.
>>
File: SAM_0031 - Copy.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_0031 - Copy.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>2883941
well, i've thought about doing a tapestry here soon but i really havent thought about doing it on a less generic shirt. thanks
>>
Cool, how does that scale effect work? I don't know much about tie dye.
>>
File: SAM_0024 - Copy.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_0024 - Copy.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>2883959
It is a bit more complicated than generic tie dye. I use string to portion off the circles and pull the string really tight so color cant really get into that area of the shirt, leaving the defined lines. It is a simple process, but it takes me around 10 hours per shirt. Here is pre-dye applicaiton.
>>
>>2883965
too much work for some shitty rainbow leopard t's
>>
>>2884061
The pattern looks pretty neat, I think with a nicer base shirt and better color palette OP could make some real nice shirts. Do you have any pictures of anyone wearing them?
>>
>>2883884
If you do this on silk scarves, they'll sell for hundreds of dollars each. If you start doing wholesale craft shows, you're likely to get picked up by high-end department stores and fashion catalogues. Up your game. Cotton T-shirts are beneath you.
>>
>>2884071
longer sleeves with tight cuffs would look cool i think
>>
>>2884071
Don't have any pics of other people wearing shirts, but here is a shitty bathroom pic for ya. And most of my time has been spent working on tying, so I am trying to get into better color schemes now. I have a friend that does the LED gloving at EDM shows tell me about a program that maps out color palettes with sacred geometry. Really wish I could find this, but can't manage to google it up. The spirals in these shirts are actual Fibonacci spirals I put in them.
>>
>>2883884
Try one like pic related where the sleeves and neck are uv rainbow and the rest of the shirt is solid black, would sell tons to ravers

(You could probably find a pre colored black torso white sleeves version, overall should cut your time in half)
>>
File: SAM_0063 - Copy.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_0063 - Copy.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>2884080
See, the problem is that I can't really mass-produce these things quickly. 10 hours for a large shirt, can't really do whole sale. Was thinking maybe buying Supreme shirts and doing those up and making ridiculous profit, but thank you for input on getting better shirts. I used to post in the tie-dye communities on Facebook and stuff and everyone just used Gildan, never crossed my mind that people would want more fitted shit.

Here is pic I forgot to put in last post
>>
>>2884211
Looks pretty fly.
>>
>>2884210
Hell yes I'm going to do this.

Anyone have brand recommendations? Like fabric to be a little heavier.
>>
File: Shirt - Copy.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
Shirt - Copy.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>2884211
this is this shirt
>>
File: saitamashirt.png (505KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
saitamashirt.png
505KB, 720x720px
>>2884211
you can mass produce!
replicate your technique on a yard of cotton fabric, use a high quality camera to photograph or else find another means of scanning to upload. from here you can send your designs to t-shirt producers or online fabric companies (such as spoonflower). then you open an online shop and spread the word. you can collaborate with screenprinters to print designs over these shirts and sell them for more than a "blank", and that method greatly increases marketing, too.
pic is not of me, but of a shirt i screenprinted.
>>
>>2884233
ur a reaaal grill?
>>
File: sailorcat.png (541KB, 540x537px) Image search: [Google]
sailorcat.png
541KB, 540x537px
>>2884235
probably
>>2884233
>>2884223
this is another personal example i can show you, (just boring vegetable dye), though you can find lots of others all over the place. my point is that you shouldn't cut yourself off if you want to go bigger. you can sell original shirts for higher or keep them as master copies or with hopes of gallery display or something someday. fabric dying is hard and you've got a good style!
>>
>>2884233
hmm, very tempting, but i really like the handmade feel of them. printed shirts are just sort of a put off for me. i'd rather have a more limited stock made with more love and attention to detail. yes, that will cause them to be more costly but there is something about mass produced tie dyes that dont appeal to me. as for screen printing some sacred geometry or something on to the finished product, i can get down with it
>>
File: raglan.jpg (42KB, 992x1240px) Image search: [Google]
raglan.jpg
42KB, 992x1240px
now, gildan has these, but should i go for more trendy fit? just a hard decision because these are 5.50 a pop verson ~20
>>
>>2884238
fuuck i would buy this
>>
>>2884240
through a sublimation method the feel of the fabric shouldn't be altered (it's a staining method, rather than printing, so there's no coating. god i hope i'm not mixing up terms here); but i agree with you. it's just something to consider if your demand encroaches over your supply and you hit a plateau in pricing.
>>
>>2884244
fuuuck i can't find my catalog for alternatives for you, but gildan is very cheap-feeling. it's sturdy but the fabric is rough. if i were you, i'd find a custom apparel shop and browse their different shirts to make notes of which producers you should go with. sage for getting too wordy
>>
>>2884252
thanks for all the info, i've only just recently gotten my methods somewhere unique and reliable, so now im learning more about other aspects
>>
>>2884211
You don't understand. I do wholesale craft shows. The work is usually top-notch, as in the best handmade things available anywhere. Think pottery, glass, jewelry, furniture. The buyers (who are vetted) are gallery owners, web commerce site owners, department stores, etc. They buy your work at "wholesale" prices, then retail them at a markup. You tell them how many you can produce and set your prices. They do not want identical "mass produced" items. The benefit is you don't have to spend all your time trying to sell shit individually online or do dinky local craft shows or fairs. Why don't you figure out some silk-dyeing processes and go check out the ACC show (American Craft Council) website. I'm telling you these will sell as scarves. You'd be looking at upwards of $20k in orders per show. Think you could make 100 in a year? 200? Clean yourself up and put on a nice shirt for 8 hours?
>>
>>2884264
Oh, also, a lot of these shows do a retail day on the last day that's open to the general public. Gives you the opportunity to sell off your show inventory at retail price to pay for your trip and make a few thousand on top of it. Some people hate doing retail though.
>>
>>2884264
Ahh, im starting to see. I just looked up silk dying and i would have to get different dyes, plus i dont know if the silk will hold well and not tear with the hard pulling i will be doing, but scarves? never even thought of those
>>
>>2884268
I'm suggesting this to you because I like your stuff. It's sad to see good work going on crappy cheap shirts where you'll be chasing $20 a pop. Up your game, man.
>>
>>2884270
Okay, so fashion-wise buyers are allllways looking for unique jewelry and wearables. Scarves are very accessible to retail customers the same way earrings are. Versatile, fairly easy to produce, no sizing shenanigans. But middle class and wealthy women aren't going to buy cotton scarves.
>>
File: color - Copy.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
color - Copy.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>2884271
thank you for the support and advice! not gonna go to scarves yet but definitely will start doing some more quality shirts though
>>
File: frank Psysmo.jpg (112KB, 958x958px) Image search: [Google]
frank Psysmo.jpg
112KB, 958x958px
how long you been dying OP?
>>
>>2883884
>muh tripophobia
>>
i kind of want to crosspost these to /fa/ just to see what their reaction would be
>>
>>2884270
idk man get the high grade stuff and silk is pretty fucking strong. used it in a surface design class, none of the students had problems with it falling apart.
>>
>>2885130
Little over a year of pretty constant work
>>
>>2885203
Got a few good reactions but not much attention. They just want brands and gothninja look
>>
File: EMT024645-100_6_large.jpg (4KB, 320x480px) Image search: [Google]
EMT024645-100_6_large.jpg
4KB, 320x480px
So I think I'm going to go with these elwood shirts, they come in 3 pack. I've been doing some color research, but any palette suggestions?

http://www.elwoodclothing.com/collections/packs/products/curved-hem-tall-tees-3-pack-white#shopify-product-reviews
>>
>>2885375
You could try doing palettes based on things. Like seasons, or some of these remind me of tropical fish/reefs. And think about color schemes you've seen before that you think look good. I'd try for a lot of variety at least for now, experiment and figure out what looks best. More variety also leads to wider appeal. You could even try a grayscale one a la /fa/.
>>
>>2883884
i know nothing of clothes and shit but always thought self-made tye dyes are pretty cool
how do you do 'em?
>>
File: IMG_0553.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0553.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2885249
How much do you sell them for?
>>
>>2886108
Been selling in the $60 range but price is about to go up with more fashionable shirts. Probably going to be asking for 100 now. These prices are based on me spending ~10 hours per shirt
>>
>>2886056
See
>>2883965
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.