[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Define art.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

File: 1487139497889.jpg (34KB, 511x640px) Image search: [Google]
1487139497889.jpg
34KB, 511x640px
Define art.
>>
>>2882103
Personally I like the definition Harold Speed uses in The Practice and Science of Drawing:
"the Rhythmic expression of Feeling"
>>
File: 1488195994887.jpg (71KB, 737x601px) Image search: [Google]
1488195994887.jpg
71KB, 737x601px
the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.
the class of objects subject to aesthetic criteria; works of art collectively, as paintings, sculptures, or drawings: a museum of art;
an art collection.
See also fine art, commercial art.
a field, genre, or category of art:
Dance is an art.
>>
>>2882103
My dick sliding in your sisters pussy
>>
>>2882103
Art is idea
>>
>>2882103
define writing and you defined art

I am writing to you right now therefore this post is art
>>
>>2882234
gotta say, steve huston's nma stuff is great
>>
File: 1488418461095.jpg (48KB, 510x510px) Image search: [Google]
1488418461095.jpg
48KB, 510x510px
>>2882103
Self expression in a tangible form, able to be experienced repeatedly.

Pretty much just songs, sculptures, paintings, drawings, dances... that sort of shit.

Fuck every other definition.
>>
>>2882243
my dear man what about the rhythm?? and what about things like verbal storytelling, and improvisation? a painting made and then completely destroyed? not necessarily something you can experience repeatedly
harold speed's is the best definition
>>
File: 1482367652406.jpg (31KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1482367652406.jpg
31KB, 500x667px
>>2882251
Since "that sort of shit" was too vague for you to fill in the (very simple) blank, I'll just spoonfeed it to you in simple terms.

Life is a cycle of rhythmic conflict.
Art is a reflection and/or representation of life.
>>
>>2882268
my good, dear man, the blank was not simple whatever, the bounds were indeterminate and the contents completely and totally unforeseeable!
but this revised definition is much better, and i see no holes
>>
"Art" is anything that a person calls by that name. If you want to define "good" art, then you have a real challenge.
>>
>>2882274
What if it's denied though? What good is one person saying "it's art" over another person saying "no, it's not"?
>>
>>2882232
>>2882268
/thread
>>
>>2882103
Whatever the boss at moma says is art.
>>
>>2882103
Shit that looks cool
>>
>>2882276
Its no good, that's my point. "Art" is a silly idea that has way too many varying definitions to really be descriptive.
>>
>>2882103
big cock
>>
File: Nites style test.png (625KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
Nites style test.png
625KB, 3840x2160px
Anything made with the honest desire for creation and for the created to simply exist. That is art for me
>>
>>2882103
1. whatever I say it is
2. definitely not what you say it is
>>
>>2882268
>Art is a reflection and/or representation of life.
so broad as to be completely meaningless. what isn't a reflection of life?
>>
>>2882103
Art is a drawing or painting used as practice to learn how to tell the truth, and in turn learn the truths of this life and the afterlife.

It can also be anything created as a means of showing emotions, ideas, or technical ability.
>>
>>2882103
anything that is masterfully executed
>>
>>2882103
fuck all that fancy shit ya all spinning.
Art is the human activity that exalts our species.
Logic is the human activity that underlies all utility.
>>
>>2888888
>>
>>2882891
exaltation has utility for all levels of a seemingly intelligent species with individuals possessing self awareness and knowledge of their final demise.
.Art is an ancient attempt at attaining magnanimity and immortality... now science is taking that task seriously and so art is clearly .. fucking useless shit we do to distract us from the horror of our situation because it provides distraction and generates temporally the illusion of meaning. Pff ill blog about this shit and get on everyone pretty nerves... thats art.
>>
It's not easy to define. I think almost anything can constitute art (anything created with intent essentially) but at the same time I do think there is a distinction between design, craft, art, and Art.
>>
>>2882103
Art is a human construct, a spook if you will.
>>
Art is tra backwards
>>
ART, n. This word has no definition. Its origin is related as follows by the ingenious Father Gassalasca Jape, S.J.

>One day a wag—what would the wretch be at?—
>Shifted a letter of the cipher RAT,
>And said it was a god’s name! Straight arose
>Fantastic priests and postulants (with shows,
>And mysteries, and mummeries, and hymns,
>And disputations dire that lamed their limbs)
>To serve his temple and maintain the fires,
>Expound the law, manipulate the wires.
>Amazed, the populace that rites attend,
>Believe whate’er they cannot comprehend,
>And, inly edified to learn that two
>Half-hairs joined so and so (as Art can do)
>Have sweeter values and a grace more fit
>Than Nature’s hairs that never have been split,
>Bring cates and wines for sacrificial feasts,
>And sell their garments to support the priests.
>>
Creative communication of an idea.
>>
>>2882103
gay
>>
>>2882948

lmao.
>>
Expressive works with purpose.
>>
>>2882103
This isn't entirely accurate, but something like creative self-expression by someone with an extremely high level of technical skill.
One without the other is worthless. Without creativity, but high technical skill, it's more of a craft than art.
Self-expression without skill is absolutely worthless, like being a singer who can't sing.
>>
File: samurai.jpg (57KB, 361x838px) Image search: [Google]
samurai.jpg
57KB, 361x838px
>>2882103
cool lookin' stuff

don't over think it.
>>
"art is the imitation of nature OR art is based on a concept of the ideal" -vilppu drawing manual
>>
>>2882103
How about no, faggot.
Get to loomis.
>>
>>2882233
You're a true poet
>>
>>2884665
those are only two motivations out of many though, the mimesis v platonic ideal dichotomy is fine if we haven't moved past ancient greece.
>>
art is what you do with a tool, what are you all retarded?
>>
>>2882103
this thread show why art has no clear definition
>everybody comes up with their definition
>nobody contradicts those to try and come to a compromise to create one definition agreed on by everybody
>>
>>2884752
art is the thing that people do sometimes and maybe other animals do sometimes also, but not as often or as well, which involves making a thing or at least thinking a thing.
>>
>>2884752
just because a thing is agreed upon doesn't mean it's correct
that is anti scientific
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.