[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reilly abstractions

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1

Can anyone who has used the Reilly method extensively fill me in on how it has helped you?

I'm more of a Loomis/Bridgman/drawing the Marvel way guy myself. I'm working as a pencil artist for a comic at the moment so I draw plenty of faces everyday. Regardless of the feedback I receive I'll try it out for a couple of weeks and see if I gain something from it but I'd love to hear some opinions too.
>>
>>2881565
It's basically just a more complex version of those other systems because it takes into account more planes and anatomical features. The real strength of it is how it relates all these features to one another so things are symmetrical and solid and in proportion. You should be drawing from one side of the face to the other and relating them constantly. Honestly I feel the example you posted is not doing it very well at all, and in fact many of the rhythms they drew are done in tons of small lines rather than longer gestural ones. The system is meant to be a combination of gesture and structure simultaneously.

That said, it can quickly become very bloated. Just look at Jack Faragasso's book and you can see it becomes needlessly complex for no real reason. Many people who use the method end up discarding a lot of it, I know for example Jeff Watts only uses a fraction of the construction lines, and even the ones he uses he doesn't always draw in but rather will "ghost" draw them by gliding his pencil over the line but not having it touch the paper so there is no mark. Others at his atelier use a combination of Reilly and Loomis.

I also feel the method works best when working from observation/ref. If you are inventing a face and use the method you can quickly end up with generic faces.
Thread posts: 2
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.