[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Using 3d for preproduction

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: sketchuplogo.png (6KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
sketchuplogo.png
6KB, 512x512px
How many of ya'll d/ic/ks use Sketchup as part of your usual workflow?

Do you think there's something better? Do you bother getting a decent render in Vray or some other renderer, or do you not bother since you're going to paint over it anyway?
>>
>>2879815
Blender Cycles, free soft and looks quite good.
>>
>>2879815
moi is better, sketchup kinda blows now.

for rendering, if you're so trash at perspective that you need 3D as an underlay and also you need to plan ur lighting setup in 3D just stop. hit the books and improve both before incorporating 3D into your 2D work.
>>
>>2880381
I recently realized that I'm being kind of retarded NOT using 3d for some interrelated scenes. I'd kind of prefer not to use it at all, but when I'm going to need several angles of the same several buildings, it seems like a massive waste of time not using simple 3d to skip much of the perspective work. I don't plan on using any lighting in this 3d shit, I assume rendering programs are kind of their own skill set and would take dedication to get anything remotely useful out of it, and I'm not interested in becoming a "3d artist" just using 3d to save some time. My questions come from curiosity in how other artists use 3d in their workflows.

I'll check out Moi, thanks.
>>
>>2880381

I guess you should conduct a private seminar for Gurney then, he really ought to hit the books and practice his fundies and stop using those damn cheating maquettes to get the light and perspective right.
>>
File: file.png (125KB, 694x498px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
125KB, 694x498px
If you can learn to use blender, then you can get much better references for much more complex shapes, and also you can play around with lighting, so I would say it is a skill worth learning.

Pic related, It's meant to be the entrance into a castle, the implication being that they jumped over the broken bridge and left some of their torches in the holders before entering, but I posted it here >>2877777 and I got the impression that people might not think that is the case.
>>
>>2880390
the fuck are you on about? 1) Gurney has his fundamentals down. 2) i'm warning to make sure you have perspective and light down before using 3D underlays or you'll be wasting more time.
>>
>>2880390
>cheating
what qualifies as cheating in your opinion?

Who are they cheating if the end result is the same? A rose painted by any other technique would look as fresh.
>>
>>2880389
This is on point, but you won't get shoehorned into being a "3D guy"...3D is a designers tool as well.
>>
File: someshit.jpg (44KB, 586x330px) Image search: [Google]
someshit.jpg
44KB, 586x330px
>>2880381
I'm thinking a major appeal of Sketchup over its competition is the massive free asset library you can access internally. It was also really easy to sketch a couple plain figures, import them as .png with transparency, then turn them into like 'scale-reference' figures that always face the camera, so I can more easily visualize how big specific characters are in relation to what I'm modelling.

I looked at videos of Moi, and it does look like you could make certain kinds of more complex shapes much faster in Moi, but I doubt I'm going to need anything more complex than simple geometry, repeated numerous times. These stairs were extremely quick and easy to make in sketchup.
>>
Modo.

Just 3D it senpai.
>>
>>2880563
>I looked at videos of Moi, and it does look like you could make certain kinds of more complex shapes much faster in Moi, but I doubt I'm going to need anything more complex than simple geometry, repeated numerous times. These stairs were extremely quick and easy to make in sketchup.
just try it... yeah you can make curved stairs in it, the fuck man? What makes you think that it can do complex things but would struggle with easy things? Also you can make spheres and bowls and hollowed out shapes...and fillet and chamfer without buggy plugins.
>>
>>2881052
I'm not saying one is better than the other at making simple objects, I'm assuming they're about equal in that regard, which is all I'll need to do. I've only been using sketchup for a few days, but I haven't had any problems with making chamfers, and I don't think I'll have any issue making simple bowls and things using a similar technique to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL7jvE9So6c&t=45

I might try to learn Moi eventually, but so far sketchup seems very intuitive and effective for what I need, and I don't really have time to mess around with several programs right now.
>>
File: 1486263845749.png (393KB, 500x708px) Image search: [Google]
1486263845749.png
393KB, 500x708px
OP is clearly a google rep, pushing Sketchup to a market that has already said meh to it.
I use ZBrush for my 3D needs because it's the first 3D program I learned and everything else seems unrefined compared to it now. Sketchup was buggy, finicky with selecting edges, and didn't use the camera control scheme I'm used to.
>>
>>2881880
Sketchup hasn't belonged to google since 2012. Are you suggesting Zbrush for city-scape type shit? That seems to be the context of this thread.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.